Revolutionary War Veterans homesite produces 1773 VA. Halfpenny, half Real, & More!!

bluegrass digger

Feb 18, 2015
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Revolutionary War Veteran's homesite produces 1773 VA. Halfpenny, half Real, & More!!

I was detecting today at a site that was once the home of a Revolutionary War veteran. The house site is not identified on the 1879 insurance map for this area, therefore I feel it was abandoned after his death. The gentleman served in the 12th Virginia Regiment of the Continental Army for two years according to a pension application, dated August, 1820. He died in 1842.

The home site sat on a small hill along a spring. The finds were all on the slope, as I wasn't able to locate any targets on the top of the hill, possibly from someone moving the soil in the past. I was able to recover period artifacts that help identify the site to the aforementioned veteran. The finds were great in quality as I found my oldest real, although it is in poor shape. The flat button with a man blowing into a horn and what appears to read, "fire" is similar to an early fireman's association button that I located on a Google search. Honestly, I was only able to locate one, so if anyone has more information, please share. The dandy and gold gilt buttons both have great design. I personally enjoy recovering pewter buttons and the shanks of the two I dug are intact. I was hoping for a "USA" on the front. The end of the utensil has a maker mark of Dixon & Son.

I recovered a copper coin that I thought was a half cent, as it was smaller than a large cent. It was encrusted with dirt and I didn't want to damage so I waited to toothpick when I got home. Oddly, I wasnt seeing the familiar wreath or half cent on the back, so I had no clue what I had dug. After identifying Virgi at one angle and nia on the other I thought, Virginia Halfpenny! I researched the coin to discover it would be dated, 1773! I think I can make out the date now as the back is in much better shape than the obverse. Wow, what a great find in Kentucky. I have to think the veteran brought the coin back from Virginia after his service in the Revolutionary War! The coin has covered a great distance and I am ecstatic to have the story to tell! Thanks for reading and HH.

Attachments

• IMG_0786.jpg
    IMG_0786.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 155
  • IMG_0789.jpg
    IMG_0789.jpg
    372.1 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_0787.jpg
    IMG_0787.jpg
    494.8 KB · Views: 154
  • IMG_0793.JPG
    IMG_0793.JPG
    542 KB · Views: 153
  • IMG_0795.JPG
    IMG_0795.JPG
    457.2 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_0797.jpg
    IMG_0797.jpg
    366.2 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_0799.jpg
    IMG_0799.jpg
    161.5 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_0801.jpg
    IMG_0801.jpg
    657.6 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_0803.JPG
    IMG_0803.JPG
    684.2 KB · Views: 112
Upvote 20

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a awesome hunt!!! Sounds like you really done your homework. That makes the finds so much more meaningful and the hunt more fun. Nice job[emoji106]
PS I live in VA if you want to send that coin home! Lol
HH, Relic Nut

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great selection of finds, it's always nice to locate the site from doing some research, Liking the buttons and the Reale even though it's been beat'n up bad, the story of it's life would be an interesting one also.

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Killer hunt and awesome site. :thumbsup: Really looking forward to seeing what else comes from this place. I just dug 2 VA half pennies a few days ago that made my hunt! Really cool coins.

Z.K.

Bronze Member
Jun 16, 2015
The Grants
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Beautiful hunt and window into history. This is the kind of experience we all dream of. Keep us in the loop...more treasure awaits!

OP
OP
B

bluegrass digger

Feb 18, 2015
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
@relic nut... thanks for the offer, but I think Kentucky is a fine home for the old copper.

@OutdoorADV... Must be the week of the Half Penny! Maybe you'll find a few more.

@vmiairpwr07... Unfortunately, the front is plain. Always looking for a "USA" on the front.

Thanks all for the likes and comments.

ajaj

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2012
Orange, Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Minelab eTrac
Minelab Excalibur 8"
Makro Racer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent hunt and story!

aj

Nepa-Will

Nov 15, 2014
Northeast, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
XP Deus + 9" Coil
XP MI-6 Pinpointer,
XP WS4 Wireless Headphones,
XP Remote
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like your research paid off. Great finds!

The Rebel

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2011
Southwest, CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Spectra V3i with wireless headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WTG on the research as well as the finds!

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
B

bluegrass digger

Feb 18, 2015
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks all. Has anyone seen a similar button? I don't have a button ID book to identify the flat button with the image of a man.

OP
OP
B

bluegrass digger

Feb 18, 2015
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Nova. The button seems rare and especially so for central Kentucky. The home site I detected dated late 18th to early 19th century. Nothing left remaining of the home unfortunately.

nova treasure

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks Nova. The button seems rare and especially so for central Kentucky. The home site I detected dated late 18th to early 19th century. Nothing left remaining of the home unfortunately.

Your Welcome, I know how hard it is to find these older sites in our State, The Half penny is pretty amazing find too and with being made the year right after Kentucky became a State from being part of Virginia. hope you have a Great 2016

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread