Ring marked as "PD"?

ThinIce

Dec 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a ring at a thrift store about a week ago with "PD" all caps, stamped in the inside.

331i0rr.jpg

The metal looks and sounds like silver but has no marking other than PD itself. Doing a bit of google, it appears that there is discrepancy between the marking since PD is Premier Designs while Pd is palladium. In any case, I paid several dollars for this ring and wondering what it's worth/what it is.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

ThinIce

Dec 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Additionally, it has a smoky quartz on the top of the ring. It feels and looks like silver, and I've never seen a ring with smoky quartz on fake silver.

Upvote 0

bill_wabo

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2014
Quebec
Detector(s) used
helmet from pomelo
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Tesoro Mojave,
Garrett Carrott
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think there are some testing kit you can buy, if you paid a good amount you would be certain after that. I think specific gravity test would'nt be accurate if the ring is made of more than palladium and/or has a stone. Found this on the web: "Palladium turns burnt orange color with the 3rd acid, 100% Hydrochloric Acid". Good luck and keep us informed.

Upvote 0

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PD = Palladium on the "scale".

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
T

ThinIce

Dec 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The ring seems pretty plain for upscale jewelry, but I trust markings more than I trust myself.

I think there are some testing kit you can buy, if you paid a good amount you would be certain after that. I think specific gravity test would'nt be accurate if the ring is made of more than palladium and/or has a stone. Found this on the web: "Palladium turns burnt orange color with the 3rd acid, 100% Hydrochloric Acid". Good luck and keep us informed.

Would going to a jeweler be an option if I do not have 100% HCl on hand?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
T

ThinIce

Dec 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Update: the ring is indeed sterling silver, not bad considering I paid around 5 for it. My girlfriend took it to a friend who works as a jeweler and confirmed it as silver.

Upvote 0

sharonhorton

Nov 10, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi there, PD indicates palladium which means a precious white metal. Well, there are many of the guess like PD may stand for palladium, may be a hallmark or even can be a hand stamped initial. I personally don't think that PD is any initial etched like the one I have recently purchased from a website. It may represent Palladium or it may be a hallmark.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread