My first old button?

jamiefind

Oct 4, 2015
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Pro Pointer AT, wireless ear receiver, Lesche digging tool & sod cutter, Lesche T-handle HD shovel, home-built 1/4" sifter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm still a newbie, but I'm working on shedding that skin. Is this actually a button? I found this in the dirt and gravel off the side of a porch on an 1885 house in the Mississippi (cotton land) delta. This tiny remote community had a cotton gin, rail station, post office, etc. The front looks like a button, maybe a hammered finish or something, but the back has this funky metal wad without any apparent holes for attaching to a garment. I suppose the shank could have broken and left this wad as a remnant? The "remnant" (if that's what it is) is almost pyramid shaped, but that's perhaps just from stretching or breaking. My second guess is that this is a decorative finishing brad like you see on nice furniture, but it seems too big for that, and the "flying saucer" edges wouldn't make much sense for that. FYI you are seeing the object after undergoing my low-quality electrolysis setup.

Hopefully someone out there is so familiar with buttons to either rule something out or contribute some wisdom or knowledge. The latter is ALWAYS most welcome.

92abc7d3d6a4a8a654ef9df2b1b778f6.jpg

150bb3b68ae6c8f895353b26b22681f0.jpg

daf7ceab0c54232f685e9b3aa4e6d558.jpg

658d022b313ebeff01d23e555bfbadff.jpg
9894b12c033157bb155f59306d90d66f.jpg

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We can rule out button, but not sure what to rule in.:icon_scratch:

Upvote 0

rick67

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2014
Smithtown NY
Detector(s) used
XP, Whites, Garrett,
Lesche, T-Rex, RTG.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You might be on right track with decorative finish brad.

Upvote 0

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
rustic-nails-screws-and-fasteners.jpg

Attachments

• rustic-nails-screws-and-fasteners.jpg
    rustic-nails-screws-and-fasteners.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 95
Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

jamiefind

Oct 4, 2015
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Pro Pointer AT, wireless ear receiver, Lesche digging tool & sod cutter, Lesche T-handle HD shovel, home-built 1/4" sifter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That makes sense. Being found at that spot, if it's a tack, it could be from just about anything. Found it under the portico by the porch. Thus it could be from a vehicle, wagon, horse, or anything else loaded or unloaded at the side of the big porch.

So is it modern?

Also, for my education, how do we rule out button?

Upvote 0

Crappies-n-Coins

Bronze Member
Nov 25, 2015
N/W MS
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, DeLeon, Cibola(s), Compadre, Fisher 1265x, Garrett II PinPointer
Primary Interest:
Other
Puts me in the mind of the head of a broken carriage bolt rusted to a flat washer, and the bottom protrusion being where the bolt had broken.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

jamiefind

Oct 4, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Puts me in the mind of the head of a broken carriage bolt rusted to a flat washer, and the bottom protrusion being where the bolt had broken.

Dang, I hate to admit it, but that is a very convincing possibility. I'll look more closely after work today when I get home. The protrusion on the back could easily be where a carriage bolt head popped off under stress, thus the stretched look.

I guess it's time to get back out there and keep hunting....

Upvote 0

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That makes sense. Being found at that spot, if it's a tack, it could be from just about anything. Found it under the portico by the porch. Thus it could be from a vehicle, wagon, horse, or anything else loaded or unloaded at the side of the big porch.

So is it modern?

Also, for my education, how do we rule out button?

I find over 1000 buttons a year, so experience rules it out. But to explain that is difficult other than you don't get iron buttons with iron shanks.

Upvote 0

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HI jamiefind; It is a COMEMERATIVE Brooch from the turn of the Century. The image on the front is of Christopher Columbus. These were common back then. Many other famous people and Events were also commemorated in this manner. As for the backing. What you see is where either the pin was clamped on the back or where it was sewn on a garment such as a coat or dress. One side of the attachment device is missing. As for the "flying saucer edges", that is caused by nothing more than rust or corrosion being built up over the years. Value : $0.00. But still a nice find ok. I have found several of these over the years. Happy Hunting. PEACE:RONB :leprechaun-hat:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

jamiefind

Oct 4, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

We have a winner, I think:
7ae61223f4f285f2ece1645fd2f7d7aa.jpg

Upvote 0

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi jamiefind; I'm stumped. Then how do you explain the design on the front. It may be that the brooch (if that is what it is now) may have become somehow attachached to that washer. That is a new one on me for sure. PEACE:RONB ???

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread