SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been thwarted for the last week from metal detecting/water hunting by a series of home improvements and finally snuck away the other night for a brief water hunt, only to find that the beach was closing within 15 minutes of my arrival. Drats. Ran into a man as I was leaving, who lost his wedding band in wading deep water. No time to even look, took his name and number and told him I'd hunt for it as soon as I could, hoping no one else beat me to it. I did a slow search this morning and within ten minutes I found the sweet little ring, so small it kept falling through the holes in my scoop. Luckily the water was clear and I could see it drop and just picked it out of the water by hand. Thought at first it was a kids ring, but turns out to be 14k with likely a CZ. I love these little rings, I have four of them that I've found now and I plan to wear them together on a chain.

It took another 45 minutes to find the missing wedding band, but I was elated because this is the first time I've found something I was actually looking for in the water. It was out at about knee deep, just about where the owner said it would be but was a good ten feet away from the area where he thought he lost it. The band was custom made, the owner had told me, and so not easily replaced and I'm so happy to be able to return it to its owners.

UPDATE: Owner picked it up a short while ago. You could see the emotion on his face when he put the ring back on his finger. Left me with a thank you card which included $50.

Attachments

• both rings (2).jpg
    both rings (2).jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 1,200
  • WeddingRing.JPG
    WeddingRing.JPG
    30.8 KB · Views: 1,197
Upvote 0

JP

Bronze Member
May 5, 2006
Florida & San Salvador, El Salvador
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett Sea Hunter II, Ace 250 (for my 12 year old son)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You did a good thing, made some money, and still found some gold. That's what you get for doing good.

I'm still waiting to return a nice class ring. Her coach contacted me last week. I want to arrange to meet up with them when I get back to Florida so it can be returned.

HH

OP
OP
SusanMN

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
af1733 said:
He said it was a custom band? Hmmm....

The ring you returned is an exact duplicate of my own wedding band. :icon_scratch:

Yes. They told me they took a plain band and a knot band, had them cut in half and then welded them together so the knots would only be on half the ring. Seemed a strange thing to do, but that's what they did. White gold but no karat marks inside, probably because of the two halves.

wannabeafinder

Apr 5, 2007
kentucky
Detector(s) used
white xlt
great PR job and I bet if someone asks to hunt his property he thinks of you and says yes. We need more people like you in this world.

toolman61

May 31, 2008
A nice little ring, a quick fifty, and a very happy man who was until then very depressed! Can't go wrong with a hunt like that!! And to beat all that don't you just feel a really good feeling deep down! Well done and HH Tom

ClonedSIM

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2005
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
SusanMN said:
af1733 said:
He said it was a custom band? Hmmm....

The ring you returned is an exact duplicate of my own wedding band. :icon_scratch:

Yes. They told me they took a plain band and a knot band, had them cut in half and then welded them together so the knots would only be on half the ring. Seemed a strange thing to do, but that's what they did. White gold but no karat marks inside, probably because of the two halves.
Yeah, that's really weird. The design is the exact same as my ring, and mine's white gold as well. I wonder why they went to all the trouble, and what the rings looks like before. People do some strange things....

JP

Bronze Member
May 5, 2006
Florida & San Salvador, El Salvador
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett Sea Hunter II, Ace 250 (for my 12 year old son)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe he saw it in a catalog and he requested that the jeweler make one just like it.  I know it would be expensive but for example in the 3rd world countries you can bring scrap gold to them, a picture of what you want, and they make if for a reasonable price. But why someone would do that in the USA doesn't make since.  It would cost more than having it ordered.  People do strange things, including wearing their expensive jewelry to the beach for us to find it :thumbsup:

It's just my thoughts on the matter.  I could be wrong. 

Either way the $50 would have been close to the scrap value (depending on weight) so it wasn't a bad deal and made someones day by returning something that was special to them. 

ClonedSIM

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2005
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Detectingfreak said:
Very nice job! I would of not taken the $50 though. But thats awesome!!! :thumbsup:
SusanMN didn't take the $50 from the man. She was given a thank you card that had the $50 inside.

I personally think it would have been rude to open the card in front of the ring's owner and hand the money back to him. The man obviously went to some trouble saying thank you.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread