Riverside CA?

DocDave

Tenderfoot
Feb 23, 2013
Beaumont TX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all!

I'm a newbie living in east Texas and going to visit my daughter in Riverside CA for the first time around April 1st... No fooling.

I'll only have a couple of days and I'm looking for the best place to maybe find a little color.
Never been gold prospecting except out of a bag. :laughing7:

Probably will pick up an AZ Desert Gold drywasher before I go, I think I'm good enough at panning to do quality test panning.

I have a couple of antique metal detectors: My daughter's Garrett Master Hunter and my old Compass Judge 2. :headbang: Yeah it's been awhile since I MD'd.

I've been a GPAA member for two years and have looked at their claims around there. Any insight into which claim might be best or a local club that might have better claims that I could join?

I welcome all info and comments.

Thanks!
Dave

Upvote 0

Aurabbit79er

Oct 29, 2012
Southern California
Detector(s) used
A cheap little Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
California is the Golden State Guy. If you want to give placer mining a try I recommend the East Fork San Gabriel River just past the parking, lot about a mile walk. Right on the inside of the Riverbend. It's known locally as lower Heaton Flats. I always go there I always get wet, and I always get good color.
if you want to use your dry washer there is so much to choose from I don't know where to start. Lots of places above Barstow to dry wash. An area known as Coolgardie Road area. I believe there are still some GPAA claims in that area. It is a drive from riverside, maybe 2hrs. one way.
I drywash about 90 miles farther up to the north west past Randsburg. At a local club claim off the Randsburg/ Garlock road.
As far as local to Riverside maybe some one here can direct you to something near the Cajon Pass off the 138 to drywash. I heard there is gold off the Cajon pass, east on 138 on the north side of the tracks. Anybody know that area?:goldpan:

Last edited:

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would head for the Randsburg area over the San Gabriel.I grew up in Perris. Riverside County. As you stand outside in Riverside ask yourself do I wanna go see more buildings and drive some of the worst freeways ever..the 60 the 10 the 210 west ..or do I wanna hit the 15 north.(you will pass a Bass Pro Shops in Rancho Cucamonga I used to work there)...and be in The Randsburg area within 2 hours if you Drive Like an East Texan:laughing7: (also lived in Austin for Two Years knew people in Tyler)You have limited time I would head for the newest GPAA claim maybe you will run into someone who can turn you onto some other spots nearby.your closest option is Big Bear or Rattlesnake Canyon.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread