Road trip 7-1-11. Ever have one of "those" days?

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Road trip 7-1-11. Ever have one of "those" days?

I've been itching to hit the road for weeks and finally was able to do so yesterday. On my planned route there are 4 bigger towns with several banks each (per Arkansas standards) fairly close together with a few 1 bank towns scattered along the way. On paper, it looked as though I would be able to hit more banks in a single day than I ever have. My first stop was a bank in a town that contained 21 banks and was ~90 miles from home. Bank #1 opened at 8:00, but no other bank in town opened before 8:30. I took a guess and left home a little before 7:00 am. As I pulled into the parking lot at bank #2, I glanced at my watch...8:28 am. Perfect! But then I noticed the parking lot was full, and there were no fewer than 10 people lined up at the doors waiting for them to open. Going in, I knew that it was a Friday (payday for several), as well as a Friday before a major holiday. I was expecting more people than normal, but this was ridiculous. Then I noticed most of the people were elderly and it "clicked." It was the 1st of the month. Everyone was there to get their gubment check. So much for setting a new record on the number of banks hit. I had to wait in line at almost every bank all day - which usually isn't the case here.

It got worse. At bank #10 (no silver found yet) they had a coin counter in the lobby. I asked the teller about buying the bag, and she replied that if she had a full bag she could sell it to me. I just happened to have brought $500 in clad halves with me just in case this situation arose. She checked, and the bag filled at $1000 and had $520 in it. Perfect! I was told that if I would fill the bag, she would sell it to me. I return to my truck, grab my halves, and head to the coin counter. As luck would have it, there were 5 people in line in front of me to use the machine. The machine was the slowest I have ever seen (my $480 in halves took 11 minutes to count), and it jammed frequently. When it jammed (oddly it didn't jam when I was using it - just everyone else), we'd have to wait until 1 of the 3 tellers had no one in her line to fix. It jammed at least once on everyone in front of me, and sometimes it was a 10 minute wait until it was fixed. Finally it was my turn. I run my halves through and a lady comes out from the back to retrieve the bag. I told her that I was going to purchase it so she wouldn't disappear with it. She looked at me funny and said, "Oh we don't sell bags off the machine." What?!? I told her that the teller had said I could buy it. She didn't change her mind. I poured on the charm and went through the usual concerns that banks have in reference to selling bags: I wouldn't bring them back, I would accept the risk of the bag being short, etc. She wouldn't budge. I tried one last tactic: I told her that I collect halves and that I wouldn't have put my halves in the machine if I hadn't been told that I would be getting them back. So, I wanted MY halves back. :) Didn't work, but I thought it was worth a shot. So I spent 2 hours in this bank for nothing, and I lost my bag filling ammunition. Its now 11:45 am. Its taken me 3.5 hours to visit 10 banks no more than 5 miles apart and I have found a total of $21 in clad halves.

The next town is about 10 miles away and has 7 banks. 5 had few halves and no silver. At 2 separate banks, the person I needed to speak with was out and I was told to come back later. So I killed some time by eating lunch and hitting a couple of 1 bank towns just a bit down the road. I return to the original town and speak with the people that were out. It leads to absolutely nothing (although I did find 1 40%er at each of the small town banks). Its now after 3:00 pm.

I decide to just head home. I know I don't have enough time to get to every bank in the next town. Throw in that its now getting late, on a payday before a major holiday and it seems like a no-brainer. I take the opportunity to return home on a slightly different route that will allow me to re-visit a 2 bank town I have been to in the past. It was nothing special before, but I did find a few 40%ers at each bank there several months ago. At the first bank, $22.50 produced 4 40%. At the second, 2 CWRs gave me 11 more 40%.

Only one other stop produced. Back in the very first town, a bank with a coin machine just simply pulled the bag and sold it to me on the spot. $213. It contained $212 in halves (2 '64 Kens, 4 40%), 4 quarters, 2 dimes, 1 nickel, 5 pennies, 50 centavos coin from Ecuador, 10 peso Mexican coin, and 3 British large cents (1908, 1946, 1966)

Totals for my frustrating day: ~ $600 in halves produced 2 90% (Kens) and 21 40%...which isn't horrible on a day where pretty much nothing went right.

Upvote 0

rileyboy

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2010
Re: Road trip 7-1-11. Ever have one of "those" days?

Arkie,
I've had days like that too. Seemed every bank I went to had lines and amost all the customers either didn't speak English or wanted to send a cashiers check back to their home country. Then the traffic mounted up and it turned into one agonizing day. And....for all that time, I didn't get one silver coin. Decided one day after four hours to just head home. On the way I came across a branch of my bank that I had never seen before. Dropped in to dump some halves. Asked the teller if she had any other half dollar coins and she pulled out two CWR's. When I got in the car and looked, they were all 40%ers. Dashed back in to see if she had anymore, but that was all they had. So.......no matter how bad it gets... there is light at the end of the tunnel........"and a nice cigar, I might add."
Stay well good friend....It's out there for the finding...Trust Me!
rileyboy
(Rich, R.I.P.)

CHAINCHOMP

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2010
Colorado Springs CO.
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QS

you still pulled a decent amount! congrats! Keep it up and hh! [R.I.P. Rich Hartford]

FreedomUIC

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2010
NUNYA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Arkie, I always look forward to your posts. You score silver, had a relaxing drive by yourself, and seen some beatutiful contryside. Arkansas is beautiful country, IMO anyways.

Thanks for the post, that and my cup of coffee made for an interesting read.

:icon_thumright: :icon_thumleft:

coincrawlin

Sep 13, 2010
SoCal
Detector(s) used
Teknetics G2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That's why I hate dumping on Fridays or Saturdays...just too many people. But until I can retire or quit my job that's my only choice. At the end of the day I'd still be happy with with those results though!

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010

ABM, I too, love your posts!

Sorry to hear about your frustration...but I'd love to pull that much silver in a week, let alone a single day!

WTG!!!!! Keep up the great work!!!!!

CardsNCoins

Bronze Member
Nov 17, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Very nice read, and not a bad silver lining. :icon_thumleft:

Why didn't the teller that originally told you she'd sell you the bag speak up on your behalf?

HH

Nick

OP
OP
A

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

CardsNCoins said:
Very nice read, and not a bad silver lining. :icon_thumleft:

Why didn't the teller that originally told you she'd sell you the bag speak up on your behalf?

HH

Nick

I dunno. When my turn in line to receive the cash for my halves came, she wouldn't look at me and disappeared into the back somewhere. I assume she was embarrassed that she made a mistake, and/or was just avoiding a potential confrontation. It was weird though. I have never had a teller tell me she can sell me full bags off the machine unless they KNOW that they can do so. 99% of the time, they say something like, "I'm not sure. I'll have to ask." Then I get to speak to the head teller, vault teller, or a branch manager.

OP
OP
A

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

coincrawlin said:
That's why I hate dumping on Fridays or Saturdays...just too many people. But until I can retire or quit my job that's my only choice. At the end of the day I'd still be happy with with those results though!

I like Fridays for road tripping. While there are more people, many small town banks around here close at 3:00 pm Monday - Thursday, but remain open until 5:00 - 6:00 pm (sometimes 7:00) on Fridays. Those extra hours allow me to visit more banks.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread