Road Trip Picks

Tallone

Sep 4, 2013
In a gloomy castle on a lonely hill
Primary Interest:
Other
We were out of town last weekend for a wedding. Got in Friday night so I checked to see if there were any garage sales going on near our hotel. Turns out there was a neighborhood sale happening in an upscale area just a couple of miles from the hotel. Didn't find a lot of stuff but the items below should do OK.

DSC03607.JPG
I picked up the two knives for $5.00. The John Deere knife is made by Smith & Wesson. Both are of Chinese manufacture. Probably no more than about $20 for the John Deere and $10 for the US Marines. Thought they would be worth a little more than that but for five bucks it is still a winner.

DSC03608.JPG
Whatever disappointment I had over the knives was quickly relieved by the camera. The yard sale I got this from only had a couple of dozen things. Most of it art work. I picked up the camera and the lady said the body doesn't work. Before I could ask her how much she wanted for it, she said, "It's free". The lens is a Minolta 70 - 210mm autofocus. I presume it will work on Minolta DSLRs. The lens is in great shape and should bring $80 - $100. My wife felt so guilty about it she bought a piece of junk ceramic she didn't even want for $1.00!

vwayne1

Jan 14, 2005
Eugene Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
Nice job on the camera. I have sold many of the Minolta af cameras and lenses. They work on Sony dslr cameras. Minolta went out of business. When you are looking at this particular brand always watch for the 135 lens. Quite valuable.

Last edited:

Justice70

Oct 18, 2008
michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac, Whites Prizm iv
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good pickens'. I know nothing about cameras and prob. would have walked right by that. Very nice.

OP
OP
T

Tallone

Sep 4, 2013
In a gloomy castle on a lonely hill
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the tip, vwayne.

At Justice70: Always look at the cameras - even old ones. Most of the cameras made by good quality Japanese brands like Nikon, Canon, Pentax and Minolta have interchangeable lenses. Some old lenses (especially Nikon) will fit the new digital cameras. But even if they don't, there are a lot of people still doing film work and the old lenses sell. So, even if the body is broken (like this Minolta), the camera has value because of the lens. Of course, you want to be sure the glass isn't all scratched up or cloudy.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread