Road trip to PA culminates with MAJOR bucket list find for me - sorry but very long!!

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
My good pal George (the ever-popular Vino) has been trying to get me to make the trek up to his neck of the woods for a bit of ā€œnorthernā€ hunting and hopefully some pit digging, and I couldnā€™t resist any longer. But first let me say that I was extended the absolute ultimate in hospitality and generosity by George during the entire trip. They just donā€™t come any better than him, and it was great to finally be able to meet the face behind all those ā€œVinoā€ posts, and actually hunt with him. I tell ya, for someone thatā€™s only been in this hobby for a couple of years heā€™s already mastered his machine as well as the art of getting permission. After talking with George for 2 minutes the owners are begging him to hunt their property ā€¦ lol ā€¦ but itā€™s true.

Hunting in his area was a whole new experience for me to say the least. To find a site down my way I have to do considerable research and then roam around huge fields in search of a tiny fragment of brick, pottery or iron, hoping it might lead to an early house site. But up his way research is not part of the vocabulary as all the colonial homes were constructed of stone, and just about every one still exists. And since George knows how to recognize the oldies, he just knocks and then proceeds to pound the surrounding lawns that are frequently loaded with relics and coins. Thatā€™s a pretty good system if you ask me. Anyway, I had a wonderful time hanging with George and I really appreciated him taking me to many of the sites where heā€™s experienced loads of success.

Although the overall quantity of keepers was not as great as we expected, some nice individual finds were made by both of us. My 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] favorite find of the trip was made on the first day at a very historic site that served as a hospital for Washingtonā€™s army during the Rev War, and it was a gun flint complete with the lead wrapping. Very cool indeed, and a first for me. Trips to other sites produced a few buttons, a KG2, an 1835 LC, and a few other misc relics. Late on Day 2 we visited a site that was the home of Robert Morris who was one of the signers of the Declaration of Independence. George and some of his other buddies had done well there in previous hunts, and with heavy iron in spots it looked promising for something nice to possibly pop out. But nothing of significance was recovered that day.

On Day 3 we were joined by Brad (aka Outdoor Adv) and we went back to the Morris site. Just like George, Bradā€™s a super guy who Iā€™ve already established a great on- and off-line relationship with, and who obviously has the same passion for recovering history as George and I. It was certainly a pleasure to finally meet and hunt with him. The 3 of us eventually ended up in a small garden plot that had just recently been plowed under, and thought some good targets might show up. Plus we wanted to help the elderly lady owner find a long lost ring she believed was lost in that area. But there were very few targets in the garden, and other than a couple small buttons and aluminum can shards it was pretty clean. But then out of the blue I suddenly got a big blast through my headphones and was sure it was a soda can or huge piece of junk. I stuck my shovel in and flipped a pile of dirt out, and it magically revealed the edge of a large silver disk. I didnā€™t have my glasses on but thought I saw a reeded edge, and figured it was probably a walker or barber half. I quickly summoned my 2 buddies to come over and witness the revealing of the mystery coin, but not before everyone took several in-situ pics. Brad immediately observed that the edge design was exactly like that of a Spanish 8 reale which really got the excitement going. And when I finally got the courage to lift it from the moist soil I was not disappointed ā€” it was finally that long-sought big silver that has been eluding me for the past 20 years. George accused me of my hand shaking while I was holding it for pics, and I have to admit he was right. I wasnā€™t this excited when I dug the Lord Baltimore sixpence a year ago. And I couldn't believe it had been found in a garden that had been plowed for 50+ years and didn't have a scratch on it.

We left a short time later and made a quick stop at one last site before calling it a day, and this was the end of my trip. This whole adventure was a wonderful and exciting experience for me, and I feel that Iā€™ve solidified my friendship with 2 of the best guys Iā€™ve ever hunted with. So thanks again George for putting me onto that awesome coin and for everything else you did to make my visit so enjoyable. I hope I can return the favor to you one day. Now back to toiling away in the fields of southeast Virginia ā€¦..

Attachments

• 110515a.jpg
    110515a.jpg
    392.3 KB · Views: 444
  • 110515b.jpg
    110515b.jpg
    310.8 KB · Views: 494
  • 110515c.jpg
    110515c.jpg
    219 KB · Views: 407
  • 110515d.jpg
    110515d.jpg
    209 KB · Views: 380
  • 110515e.jpg
    110515e.jpg
    183.6 KB · Views: 398
  • 110515f.jpg
    110515f.jpg
    185.8 KB · Views: 392
  • 110515g.jpg
    110515g.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 427
  • 110515h.jpg
    110515h.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 414
  • 110515i.jpg
    110515i.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 384
  • 110515j.jpg
    110515j.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 384
  • 110515k.jpg
    110515k.jpg
    189.1 KB · Views: 432
  • 110515l.jpg
    110515l.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 394
  • 110515m.jpg
    110515m.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 380
  • 110515n.jpg
    110515n.jpg
    305.9 KB · Views: 521
Last edited:
Upvote 69

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I commented last I forgot to add a Banner vote. The condition of this coin, and you hardly ever see one posted. Its definitely a banner find. ( not just because I was there either. Haha).
Congrats again.

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
When I commented last I forgot to add a Banner vote. The condition of this coin, and you hardly ever see one posted. Its definitely a banner find. ( not just because I was there either. Haha).
Congrats again.

I appreciate that George. The more I look at that coin (and I've done it a hundred times), the more I'm impressed with its awesome condition. All the details are crisp and there's very little wear. I couldn't be happier with the find, and glad you and Brad were there to share in the excitement. Thanks again for putting me on that spot.

metalev4

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2006
It's a killer coin to say the least Bill and well deserved. I know you have been itching to dig one from the beginning and it finally happened. Congratulations on a banner find. Can't wait to see it in person next week.

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the great write up and pics. Congrats on getting down there to hunt with the infamous George, and of course congrats on that beautiful banner worthy 8 Reales!! I'm going to vote right now.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome digs, great post, the memories will last forever.:occasion14: My hands were shaking at the end of the post. That's one of those coins many of us dream about recovering. George sure knows where to go and take good friends. Voted Banner here :goldtrophy:

Last edited:

ReidMan

Jul 16, 2008
Hampton, VA
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 main, Infinium water, TDI red dirt, 1266x if I feel like digging iron.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Looks like it was a great hunt!!

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sounds like you had a great trip. That is a beautiful piece of 8.

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man bill talk about a great time!, that 8r Is AMAZING!, that site looks awfully familiar to me lol, that's the site of my pistareen that good Ole george put me on, great post, glad PA was so awesome to ya and good for you george for being such a good host!

No Chris, that was not the pond site.
Different site. Although Bill did dig the a LC 5ft away from the Pistareen. 12inches down. Its funny, ur 1728 reale was only 4 or 5 inch down.
And Bills 1835 LC was at least 12inch and a 107 years newer.
Im amazed how that works???

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Different site. Although Bill did dig the a LC 5ft away from the Pistareen. 12inches down. Its funny, ur 1728 reale was only 4 or 5 inch down.

I thought first sure that any coin coming from that deep in a small area that produced multiple colonial silvers would be a killer find. That ratty LC was definitely a big disappointment, but fortunately I was able to redeem myself later the next day.

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought the picof bill was from that pond site, second look I realized it wasnt, so wierd how this hobby works, different things at odd depths, just shows ya never know! I just realized that I got one of those lead flint holders with the flint still in it the 1st time I ever hunted with ya george, what are the odds of that

Last edited:

billpa

Sep 12, 2010
Out Diggin Silver
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO,DFX DX-1, CLASSIC 111, Garrett pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like you had a great hunt in Pa.Love the Big Silver.

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats Bill! When Vino called me and told me to watch for your post to see what you dug I knew it would be good! :thumbsup: My question is how did Vino and his Deus miss that.... it must have been your skill and the F75 that were needed to find it! LOL

I'll also vote to put this one on the top of the page. :)

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats Bill! When Vino called me and told me to watch for your post to see what you dug I knew it would be good! :thumbsup: My question is how did Vino and his Deus miss that.... it must have been your skill and the F75 that were needed to find it! LOL

I'll also vote to put this one on the top of the page. :)

Thanks Keith. I found the coin in a garden area that had just been plowed under, and that had been previously inaccessible. Otherwise there would be no way that coin would still be in the ground with all those Deus vacuum cleaners roaming the property. I just got lucky and was at the right place at the right time.

lost it

Aug 24, 2015
new england
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great looking coin Bill--fantastic!! I love reading your posts always great artifacts and lots of history thanks

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing Bill! I told George to make sure he put you on an uncut piece of Spanish silver. I guess that monster 8R took care of that. That must've felt so good after years of digging mostly cut pieces of Spanish. I'm glad the 3 of you were able to hook up for a great hunt and to further strengthen some already great friendships. Great post buddy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread