Road trip to PA culminates with MAJOR bucket list find for me - sorry but very long!!

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
My good pal George (the ever-popular Vino) has been trying to get me to make the trek up to his neck of the woods for a bit of ā€œnorthernā€ hunting and hopefully some pit digging, and I couldnā€™t resist any longer. But first let me say that I was extended the absolute ultimate in hospitality and generosity by George during the entire trip. They just donā€™t come any better than him, and it was great to finally be able to meet the face behind all those ā€œVinoā€ posts, and actually hunt with him. I tell ya, for someone thatā€™s only been in this hobby for a couple of years heā€™s already mastered his machine as well as the art of getting permission. After talking with George for 2 minutes the owners are begging him to hunt their property ā€¦ lol ā€¦ but itā€™s true.

Hunting in his area was a whole new experience for me to say the least. To find a site down my way I have to do considerable research and then roam around huge fields in search of a tiny fragment of brick, pottery or iron, hoping it might lead to an early house site. But up his way research is not part of the vocabulary as all the colonial homes were constructed of stone, and just about every one still exists. And since George knows how to recognize the oldies, he just knocks and then proceeds to pound the surrounding lawns that are frequently loaded with relics and coins. Thatā€™s a pretty good system if you ask me. Anyway, I had a wonderful time hanging with George and I really appreciated him taking me to many of the sites where heā€™s experienced loads of success.

Although the overall quantity of keepers was not as great as we expected, some nice individual finds were made by both of us. My 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] favorite find of the trip was made on the first day at a very historic site that served as a hospital for Washingtonā€™s army during the Rev War, and it was a gun flint complete with the lead wrapping. Very cool indeed, and a first for me. Trips to other sites produced a few buttons, a KG2, an 1835 LC, and a few other misc relics. Late on Day 2 we visited a site that was the home of Robert Morris who was one of the signers of the Declaration of Independence. George and some of his other buddies had done well there in previous hunts, and with heavy iron in spots it looked promising for something nice to possibly pop out. But nothing of significance was recovered that day.

On Day 3 we were joined by Brad (aka Outdoor Adv) and we went back to the Morris site. Just like George, Bradā€™s a super guy who Iā€™ve already established a great on- and off-line relationship with, and who obviously has the same passion for recovering history as George and I. It was certainly a pleasure to finally meet and hunt with him. The 3 of us eventually ended up in a small garden plot that had just recently been plowed under, and thought some good targets might show up. Plus we wanted to help the elderly lady owner find a long lost ring she believed was lost in that area. But there were very few targets in the garden, and other than a couple small buttons and aluminum can shards it was pretty clean. But then out of the blue I suddenly got a big blast through my headphones and was sure it was a soda can or huge piece of junk. I stuck my shovel in and flipped a pile of dirt out, and it magically revealed the edge of a large silver disk. I didnā€™t have my glasses on but thought I saw a reeded edge, and figured it was probably a walker or barber half. I quickly summoned my 2 buddies to come over and witness the revealing of the mystery coin, but not before everyone took several in-situ pics. Brad immediately observed that the edge design was exactly like that of a Spanish 8 reale which really got the excitement going. And when I finally got the courage to lift it from the moist soil I was not disappointed ā€” it was finally that long-sought big silver that has been eluding me for the past 20 years. George accused me of my hand shaking while I was holding it for pics, and I have to admit he was right. I wasnā€™t this excited when I dug the Lord Baltimore sixpence a year ago. And I couldn't believe it had been found in a garden that had been plowed for 50+ years and didn't have a scratch on it.

We left a short time later and made a quick stop at one last site before calling it a day, and this was the end of my trip. This whole adventure was a wonderful and exciting experience for me, and I feel that Iā€™ve solidified my friendship with 2 of the best guys Iā€™ve ever hunted with. So thanks again George for putting me onto that awesome coin and for everything else you did to make my visit so enjoyable. I hope I can return the favor to you one day. Now back to toiling away in the fields of southeast Virginia ā€¦..

Attachments

• 110515a.jpg
    110515a.jpg
    392.3 KB · Views: 444
  • 110515b.jpg
    110515b.jpg
    310.8 KB · Views: 494
  • 110515c.jpg
    110515c.jpg
    219 KB · Views: 407
  • 110515d.jpg
    110515d.jpg
    209 KB · Views: 380
  • 110515e.jpg
    110515e.jpg
    183.6 KB · Views: 398
  • 110515f.jpg
    110515f.jpg
    185.8 KB · Views: 392
  • 110515g.jpg
    110515g.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 427
  • 110515h.jpg
    110515h.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 414
  • 110515i.jpg
    110515i.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 384
  • 110515j.jpg
    110515j.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 384
  • 110515k.jpg
    110515k.jpg
    189.1 KB · Views: 432
  • 110515l.jpg
    110515l.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 394
  • 110515m.jpg
    110515m.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 380
  • 110515n.jpg
    110515n.jpg
    305.9 KB · Views: 521
Last edited:
Upvote 69

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing Bill! I told George to make sure he put you on an uncut piece of Spanish silver. I guess that monster 8R took care of that. That must've felt so good after years of digging mostly cut pieces of Spanish. I'm glad the 3 of you were able to hook up for a great hunt and to further strengthen some already great friendships. Great post buddy

Thats right. You sure did.
We were thinking of cutting into 3rds so we all could have a piece. Haha.

RelicMedic

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Canada
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab pro find 35

Minelab Equinox 600

Minelab Excalibur II

Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent post and an amazing trip! Love that 8R and flint. Incredible! !!!!!!

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Amazing Bill! I told George to make sure he put you on an uncut piece of Spanish silver. I guess that monster 8R took care of that. That must've felt so good after years of digging mostly cut pieces of Spanish. I'm glad the 3 of you were able to hook up for a great hunt and to further strengthen some already great friendships. Great post buddy

Thanks Abe! George must have thought you really meant business with your instructions to put me on a killer spot, so I definitely have to give you an assist. With so many having a critical part in helping me to find this coin I just might have to turn it into a pile of cut pieces and hand them out to everyone. Hope you're no longer under the weather, and that you get back to swinging soon. Take care buddy .....

Derek752

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2006
Central,Ny
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Great post Bill ! Love big Spanish silver and the flint is a nice deal too.

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Even though it should not be mentioned in the same sentence as your incredible find, I owe my oldest silver to George's generosity and inviting me onto one of his great sites. That is a monster find! The flint and holder would be centerpiece in just about any display but your 8R stole that limelight.

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful 8 Reale! 1808 was the last year of Carolus IIII's rule! Napoleon would conquer Spain the very next year!

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Some history.........
It's true that Napoleon conquered Spain in 1809, though he did not conquer Mexico, the mint country for this coin. In fact, Fernando VII became king of Spain after Carlos IV abdicated but before Napoleon conquered Spain. And during the succeeding years, till 1821, Fernando VII continued to mint coins.
Don............

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Some history.........
It's true that Napoleon conquered Spain in 1809, though he did not conquer Mexico, the mint country for this coin. In fact, Fernando VII became king of Spain after Carlos IV abdicated but before Napoleon conquered Spain. And during the succeeding years, till 1821, Fernando VII continued to mint coins.
Don............

Thanks Don - very interesting!!

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on a truly spectacular set of finds. That reale is just awesome. Best of luck to you... not that you need it.

Greastart

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2014
Far North Corner of CA
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro and a Garrett Carrot
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow....that's all I got! I can't even imagine pulling something like that!

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Normally I wouldn't post after 3 pages, but I would also like to congradulate you on your 20 year bucket list find.

And believe me I know the feeling, I got the exact same coin on Jul. 23/14. (even same date) Remember at the time you said I should cut it, and give Dave half. (haha) so are going to cut yours and share...(just kidding)

Yes you have found many valueable finds, but there is something to be said for the BIG Silver, great find.

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice........

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Ol' George can sell Ice to Eskimos and tractors to city folk....

Bill, I remember you saying when I was at you house that you hoped that license plate didn't jinx you. Well it may have but in a good way...none of your silver has been cut yet this year!!!!

Steve

Yeah, I guess you're right Steve, and I have no reason to complain. But I keep hoping for that first cut piece since I changed my plate, and when I finally dig that I'm gonna pose in front of it holding my little sliver of silver. But not sure how long that's gonna take as it's looking really slow around here for reasons previously discussed.

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Yeah, I guess you're right Steve, and I have no reason to complain. But I keep hoping for that first cut piece since I changed my plate, and when I finally dig that I'm gonna pose in front of it holding my little sliver of silver. But not sure how long that's gonna take as it's looking really slow around here for reasons previously discussed.

If it's slow, perhaps you need to head on down to that mucky spot of which you spoke. That site sounded COOL! !!

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic - Bill! :notworthy: Glad I was able to post in time to help push your monster 8-Reale to a well-deserved banner finish. I've never come close to digging such a big piece of early silver. I've only managed a single 2R in all my years of detecting. I remember the hefty weight of the 2R when first recovered, so I can hardly imagine the thrill of pulling up a huge, heavy 8R. :thumbsup: What a big, beautiful coin! To recover such a big coin without any scratches or gouges is all the more reason to enjoy such a great recovery. For now, I think you've run out of superlatives - oldest, biggest, rarest, etc. Perhaps some of these current coin recoveries will in the course of time become you're 2nd most rare, oldest, etc. Time will tell. Banner vote is in for your latest big find (literally and figuratively).

relic lover

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2006
Western PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE With a plethora of coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay let me get this straight you werent killing it enough down south so you decided to come up to my state and dig up my Spanish silver? Congratulations that thing is in amazing condition but oddly enough I love the Gunflint with the lead on it just as much.

Nepa-Will

Nov 15, 2014
Northeast, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
XP Deus + 9" Coil
XP MI-6 Pinpointer,
XP WS4 Wireless Headphones,
XP Remote
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh my word! That is one amazing piece of silver. Congrats!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions