Road Trip turns up first dream find

Fropa

Feb 27, 2007
SW Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
We took a 180 mile road trip today. 99% of the trip we found $354 in halves at 17 banks

03JUL09_Other_Silver.jpg

Not great but a few more for the stash.

Last bank we stopped at had $550, SKUNK.

The third bank from the end of the trip was a very small town bank that I had stopped at about 2 years ago. They had $410 in rolls. I noticed there were several different types of older looking rolls so we decided to check them last. I took the first roll out of the bag and told my wife we may find a few silver in these rolls because there was a 1968-D on the end of the roll. I opened the roll and found this.

03JUL09_First_Full_Roll_Stack.jpg

03JUL09_First_Full_Roll_Spread.jpg

Very exciting so we dumped the rest of the bag out. The roll I opened was machine rolled on the ends, but loose and old looking. We started checking the ends of the other rolls and almost all of them were silver on both ends. I realized the roll I opened was an original 1968 bank roll.

03JUL09_Rolls.jpg

29 of the rolls were original bank rolls. 17 were 1968-D, 1 was 1969-D, 2 are 1971-D, and 9 rolls have silver tails on both ends so I don't know what year they are. 5 of the hand rolls were also original 1968-D rolls. I'm guessing the original rolls fell apart so they transferred them to new rolls. The other 7 hand rolls were 6 mixed 1966 to 1969-D full silver rolls and 1 roll with 2 40% silver and the rest clad.

03JUL09_Silver_Rolls.jpg

03JUL09_All_Rolls.jpg

762 40% Halves, by far my best find ever. Now the big question, are the unopened rolls worth more than just the halves? What about the ones that are tails on both ends since I don't know what year they are?

03JUL09_Rolls_1.jpg

03JUL09_Rolls_68.jpg

03JUL09_Misc_Rolls.jpg

03JUL09_Rolls_69_and_71.jpg

03JUL09_Rolls_Tails.jpg

Upvote 0

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's super! Don't think I'll ever have to worry about beating that! :headbang:

Johny Hawx

Greenie
Mar 20, 2009
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
Absolutely fantastic finds. I for one still have not found a single solid roll.

STDevil

Jun 12, 2008
That is very cool! Unopened rolls get a small premium on eBay, so I say SELL SELL!!!

CongrAGulations..

Yinzi50

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats! Lucky for you! :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

I went to a road trip today and found 44 pieces of silver. Not comparable but happy! I have all the smart tellers here. Most of them know to pick out the silver ones. One teller said she had $10 but she immediately checked every coin and picked out a 1966 and replaced with a clad then re-rolled and handed it to me. >:( Another teller has two silver quarters and two silver dimes in the bottom of each slot on her till . I did not bother to ask!

Did someone says we should let the teller know what we are looking for? Shot me first before I tell them!

47thelement

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excal, ACE 250 for my son
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats!!!!

You may have just gotten yourself a post on "THE BEST OF TREASURE NET" I think that beats the the other huge find from earlier this year!

Yep I checked it is bigger. golden silver you still had a nice haul also with more variety and more 90%

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,153963.0.html

The more I look at your finds, the more start to think....

17 were 1968-D, 1 was 1969-D, 2 are 1971-D, and 9 rolls have silver tails on both ends so I don't know what year they are.

What is the only year that falls in between these years? You could very well gain an invite into an eclusive club, several times over. Are they in those "tails" rolls? are they solid rolls of that elusive coin?

Now are you going to open them? :dontknow:

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
Amazing Haul....... :tongue3:

Makes you wonder. :icon_scratch:

Thats the kind of haul that will keep you searching till the cows come home. :fish:

Congratulations. :notworthy:

Mojo

OmegaMan

Dec 9, 2007
A truly rare find. Congratulations :thumbsup:

I don't think I would open them up to look for the
1970 as they were only issued in mint sets.

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy frickin cow!!!!!!!!!! AWESOME FINDS!!!!!!
BIGTIME CONGRATS on you monster haul!!!!!!!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro
Find of a lifetime! Wow. The sealed rolls I would keep sealed the ones that have been transfered to other rolls I would open. Great finds.

Golden Silver

OP
OP
F

Fropa

Feb 27, 2007
SW Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Thanks everybody. Curiosity got the best of me last night and I opened the rolls that were tails on both ends, wondering if any of them were rolls of 1964s. They were all full rolls of 1968-Ds. I left 16 rolls of 1968-D and the 1 1969-D in the original papers. Final silver total from the $410 is:

6 - 1966
69 - 1967
657 - 1968-D
30 - 1969-D

I debated putting one or two rolls on eBay to see what they would sell for, but I've been hoarding so far waiting for silver to back to the 1979-80 values so I think I may just hang onto them for the time being. Looks like Monday I'll be going to see about a second safe deposit box.

Ju8vP3t

InFreakingCredible... :icon_thumright: I've never gotten a solid roll, and I've never hit the motherlode like that :help: Congratulations, on the unopened rolls, I'd have to think there could be a small premium, but I wouldn't think too much

Jimmy@romega

Dec 4, 2008
rome, ga
Great find! 40%ers roll on ebay usually goes between 35-40 final bid. I think you can easily clear 30.00 per roll in profit X's that by total of rolls you have I figure you be around 1,200 in profit.

Selling 2 or more rolls may not be a bad idea there is a plus size cause you can always use a flat rate box. Selling 1 at a time it will cost you around 6-7 to ship cause of the weight. There's a flat rate box around 6.00 dollars that may be sizable enough for halfs. I know there's one thats around 10.35 that i've used for a box of the new pennies.

waseeker

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2006
Pacific Northwest
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX; Minelab eTrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wonderful score - Congratulations.

regarding your comment -
"I debated putting one or two rolls on eBay to see what they would sell for, but I've been hoarding so far waiting for silver to back to the 1979-80 values so I think I may just hang onto them for the time being. Looks like Monday I'll be going to see about a second safe deposit box. "

The silver price in 1979/1980 was the result of market manipulations by the Hunt brothers. It is unlikely that silver will get that high anytime in the foreseeable future. I'd say try them on ebay

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
Jimmy@romega said:
Great find! 40%ers roll on ebay usually goes between 35-40 final bid. I think you can easily clear 30.00 per roll in profit X's that by total of rolls you have I figure you be around 1,200 in profit.

Selling 2 or more rolls may not be a bad idea there is a plus size cause you can always use a flat rate box. Selling 1 at a time it will cost you around 6-7 to ship cause of the weight. There's a flat rate box around 6.00 dollars that may be sizable enough for halfs. I know there's one thats around 10.35 that i've used for a box of the new pennies.

You can fit 18 rolls in a small flat rate box $5.95. Iv'e done it.

Also in regards to the silver price right now I'm feeling like I missed the boat 0n the silver price again.

Silver may not see $21 again for some time. I hope I'm wrong. But if I am right it means Our economy is improving and gas is cheap.

I need cash now and wished I had sold everything I had 3 weeks ago. @ $16.00

Mojo

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread