Road Trip turns up first dream find

Fropa

Feb 27, 2007
SW Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
We took a 180 mile road trip today. 99% of the trip we found $354 in halves at 17 banks

03JUL09_Other_Silver.jpg

Not great but a few more for the stash.

Last bank we stopped at had $550, SKUNK.

The third bank from the end of the trip was a very small town bank that I had stopped at about 2 years ago. They had $410 in rolls. I noticed there were several different types of older looking rolls so we decided to check them last. I took the first roll out of the bag and told my wife we may find a few silver in these rolls because there was a 1968-D on the end of the roll. I opened the roll and found this.

03JUL09_First_Full_Roll_Stack.jpg

03JUL09_First_Full_Roll_Spread.jpg

Very exciting so we dumped the rest of the bag out. The roll I opened was machine rolled on the ends, but loose and old looking. We started checking the ends of the other rolls and almost all of them were silver on both ends. I realized the roll I opened was an original 1968 bank roll.

03JUL09_Rolls.jpg

29 of the rolls were original bank rolls. 17 were 1968-D, 1 was 1969-D, 2 are 1971-D, and 9 rolls have silver tails on both ends so I don't know what year they are. 5 of the hand rolls were also original 1968-D rolls. I'm guessing the original rolls fell apart so they transferred them to new rolls. The other 7 hand rolls were 6 mixed 1966 to 1969-D full silver rolls and 1 roll with 2 40% silver and the rest clad.

03JUL09_Silver_Rolls.jpg

03JUL09_All_Rolls.jpg

762 40% Halves, by far my best find ever. Now the big question, are the unopened rolls worth more than just the halves? What about the ones that are tails on both ends since I don't know what year they are?

03JUL09_Rolls_1.jpg

03JUL09_Rolls_68.jpg

03JUL09_Misc_Rolls.jpg

03JUL09_Rolls_69_and_71.jpg

03JUL09_Rolls_Tails.jpg

Upvote 0

LJ

Silver Member
Dec 23, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way to go Fropa!!! That is awesome. That is for sure a dream find. CONGRATS to you and your wife on such a successful, exciting trip. I am sure you can't wait for the next one....ha!!

CONGRATS CONGRATS CONGRATS CONGRATS CONGRATS CONGRATS CONGRATS CONGRATS

OP
OP
F

Fropa

Feb 27, 2007
SW Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Thanks everybody. I know the 79/80 prices were manipulated and we will likely never see prices like that again, the $18-$20 range would be nice though. So far I haven't sold any of my silver but I'm thinking I might when the price goes up a bit. Thanks for the info Mojo

maine_Jim

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2008
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
WOW - :icon_thumright: :icon_thumleft: that is great. Dream day there. I might be tempted to sell all the original mint rolls for the premium they might gather. If you are only in it for the silver then you might be able to take the premium and get even even more silver with the return. If you can do it locally on Craig's List and avoid the FeeBay fees - it might take a few months but should work out well!

Maine_Jim

wharghoul

May 6, 2009
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD
:icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft:Extremley Well Done :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft:
That's the kinda stuff that keeps us going.

Oh, and don't worry about the silver price train leaving the station. Like I said a month ago, the silver price always lags a little bit when the dog days of summer are among us.

Once people start to by the gov. propaganda that all is well again with the economy, then people will start spending $$$ again and the inflation/precious metals will soar.

nyiangelo

Feb 19, 2007
The Lone Star State
Detector(s) used
ace 250/ Minelab SE Pro
What a find! 762 40% Halves!!!! I'm still waiting for someone to pick up a whole box. But man that's HUGE. That's a find of a lifetime.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread