Robert Marx, Florida Today article

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Here is a link to a Florida Today (27 July 09) article.

http://www.floridatoday.com/article...+wife+depict+high-sea+adventures+in+new+books

In part it states:

Indialantic treasure hunter Robert Marx says you can't believe everything a treasure hunter -- or a reporter -- says.
Advertisement

"Every wreck found is called the richest wreck ever lost," he says in the office of Seven Seas Search and Salvage. He blames such exaggerations on what he calls "the Fisher factor," after the late Mel Fisher.

Marx claims to have found the richest wreck, the plunder-filled Portuguese ship Flo do Mar, lost in 1511 off Indonesia. It had cargo valued at $100 million, according to the new book he wrote with wife Jenifer, "The World's Richest Wrecks: A Wreck Diver's Guide to Gold and Silver Treasures of the Seas."

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I think Bob is referring to an article he wrote for Skin Diver Magazine around 1992 about the Flor De Mar and the cover headline, which Bob had nothing to do with, proclaimed something like: 'One Billion Dollar Shipwreck Discovered.'

bronzecannons

Sep 1, 2005
Oceanside, CA
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
GIB said:
Marx claims to have found the richest wreck, the plunder-filled Portuguese ship Flo do Mar, lost in 1511 off Indonesia. It had cargo valued at $100 million, according to the new book he wrote with wife Jenifer, "The World's Richest Wrecks: A Wreck Diver's Guide to Gold and Silver Treasures of the Seas."

Yea.. too bad that's total crap cause we never even found the Flor do Mar when we were searching for it during that time. How come none of the other 10 divers or surveyors (Americans, Australians, Kiwi's) that were on that project can't even remember we found it?
TW

C

Cappy Z.

bronzecannons said:
GIB said:

Yea.. too bad that's total crap cause we never even found the Flor do Mar when we were searching for it during that time. How come none of the other 10 divers or surveyors (Americans, Australians, Kiwi's) that were on that project can't even remember we found it?
TW

Was the book Treasure Island...fiction?

8)

ropesfish

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
A sharp eye, an AquaPulse and a finely tuned shrimp fork.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
>I only bring this up because I know that Tony and Tom are still active on the forum<<

TW

So...at any time at the end of the trip did Bob Marx put on a black suit and sunglasses, hold up a device that looked like a big sliver cigar and encourage everyone to "look at the flashy thing"?
MIB.jpg

Men in Black reference <neuralizer>
1bfwxb.jpg

Last edited:

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
I suggest "Sir" Robert deserves to be judged by his entire body of work. He is a very successful treasure finder - and there are a lot more hunters than finders in this world.

Overall, his books are first-rate. There are a few that repeat quite a bit from previous works, but, again, he has made genuine contributions to the literature.

Finally, he's honest. He's always done it the right way. And in this business that means a great deal.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo, CM

enrada

May 14, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For those of you who have had legal dealings with Robert you will probably know the true story about him. I sat with a guy at a California Wreck Divers banquet that worked with Robert on the Flo do Mar. He explained to me that he was with Robert when he bought the artifacts in question from an antique shop in Indonesia. All the artifacts have a different background. No reference or tag numbers. Also no coral encrustation. Also take a look at RM's resume. It is virtually impossible to find a wreck every 3 to 5 days in different countries. After fighting an Admiralty suit against him that he used salted artifacts borrowed from a local diver I have a non brainwashed opinion of why you can't trust some treasure hunters to tell the truth. There is a big difference between a good story teller and the truth. The real truth, the Flo do Mar HAS NOT BEEN FOUND.

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
enrada:

It's very easy to make wild accusations hiding behind a fake name on the Internets.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo, CM

enrada

May 14, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These are my FIRST HAND experiences. Also I fought the Admiralty case. Also the diver admitted he gave RM the artifacts off a different wreck. Don't be brainwashed by a good storyteller.

seekerGH

Jan 25, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looking at the volumes of data, what I see is someone who is famous for being famous, sorry, but that is what it reads like.

In reality, I see very little actual recovery, but a whole lot of speculation and compilation of several non-fiction books on treasure lore.

VOC, looking at the article that you provided, it all reads the same, incredible recoveries of gold, but of course, no proof as other divers ran off with them, military used plates for targets, etc...all of this disappeared?

Same story for many of the wreck stories, the Navy covered the wreck, divers made off with the recovery...why is this always a story of failed ops to provide evidence?

While the stories are entertaining to a point, the constant failure in closure is a bit telling. Still, good for selling coffee table books about treasure.

He is a 'Sir' because of a re-enactment of Columbus' El Nino cruise, I always thought it was becuase he was brave enough to walk through Spain dressed up like a peacock!

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread