Rock saw advice

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
I've been collecting rocks for several decades and would like to start cutting some of them if I can. I figured if I got a tile saw from Lowe's or Home Depot I'd be able to cut them but they only would be able to cut stones less than 2". Today the family and I went out and found quite a few baseball to softball sized quartz or chalcedony geodes. My boys hammered a few of them open but I'd really like to actually cut them open. I know these are fairly large and that they're a very hard stone - that being said, what advice can you guys offer as where I can find a saw capable of cutting these in half / into slabs.

Thanks for the advice. I'm in the STL area if that matters.

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes DDancer. It was a stupid situation where I asked a question in a tool shop and they went out of their way on my behalf to get answers/advice from the manufacture. Then they special ordered the blade. I would have felt badly taking it back after all the effort, so will save it for other jobs. I have not tried polishing any of the slices, only because I understand that the silver is soft and tends to smear. When the weather warms up, I think I will sacrifice a few to see what happens...

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread