rock tumbler & value of jewelry finds

fldaphne

May 27, 2008
Gulfcoast of Florida
Detector(s) used
White's Beach Hunter ID
rock tumbler & value of jewelry finds

I had gotten my metal detector a little over a month ago (guess my kid's want to keep me out of trouble) and I have two questions:
1. I read that a rock tumbler can be used to clean coins - but I lost the post and wondered if that is a good way to do
do it - and can it be used to clean anything else.
2. I also read about people taking some of their jewelry finds to get appraisals and cleaned (I have yet to find
anything needing this (but there is always hope)). Can anyone tell me what the average cost to do this is? I
don't ever go to a jeweler and am curious as to how to go about it in case I make a fantastic find one day.

Thanks - I love TreasureNet and all the great information posted - and I check it each day.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: rock tumbler & value of jewelry finds

I used to clean my coins with different cleaning agents and now I just use the Coinstar machines at a super mart. They take a cut of the amount, but you don't have to clean them, count and roll them besides getting the paper rollers from the bank. They have battery operated coin rollers now, but you need to still buy the performed paper rollers. Coinstar is much easier.

Jewelry is more tricky. If you find a big Honker stone on one it is probably a CZ, but ya might really get the real diamonds. Jewelry stores aren't interested in buying your find, but will offer to reset the stones (trade you a CZ for the diamond) in a different setting for a price. You can pay to get it appraised so you will at least have an idea of it's value. It is only worth something if you can trade it for something like green backs or gas. If it is just wedding bands and class rings where you can't find the owner, Midwest Refineries http://www.midwestrefineries.com/ will buy your gold at 94% if spot price when they melt it down.

The rings make great gifts for relatives too. Watch out for selling them at garage sales as many have sticky fingers.

Once I sold a lot of rings and later wanted to look at certain ones and they were nowhere to be found. I now hang a lil tag on them with info on where, when, etc I found it.

Good Luck,
Sandman

OP
OP
fldaphne

fldaphne

May 27, 2008
Gulfcoast of Florida
Detector(s) used
White's Beach Hunter ID

Thank you, Sandman - that was great information. I appreciate it.

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim

I bought a used tumbler on ebay and I tumble the clad just to get the dirt off. It is easy to do. PM me if you get one and I'll give you the instructions. You just need some gravel that is used in fish tanks. I then take my coins to my bank where they have a free coin machine. It spits out the chewed up pennies though!!!

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX

Value of a rock tumbler...I bought a two barrel Harbor Frieght on sale with tax for $32. Last year I cleaned over $750 in clad I found... I simply throw in large bucket and deposit at my bank...no charge. Now lets see...coinstar at 7%.... 7% x 7 ($700)....would be $49...charged at a coin star. This year over $300 already...7% x 3 ($300) would be another $21...totaling $70 in charges!

My point...if you are finding alot of clad a tumbler will easily be worth the investment... If you do not mind coinstar taking $7 from every $100...that is ok too...I guess. ??? Gregg

flyinguy

Apr 27, 2008
central new york
Detector(s) used
2 compass coin pros

DFX-SE Gregg said:
Value of a rock tumbler...I bought a two barrel Harbor Frieght on sale with tax for $32. Last year I cleaned over $750 in clad I found... I simply throw in large bucket and deposit at my bank...no charge. Now lets see...coinstar at 7%.... 7% x 7 ($700)....would be $49...charged at a coin star. This year over $300 already...7% x 3 ($300) would be another $21...totaling $70 in charges!

My point...if you are finding alot of clad a tumbler will easily be worth the investment... If you do not mind coinstar taking $7 from every $100...that is ok too...I guess. ??? Gregg
$750. clad? nice! you are a expert huntin' fool! with all respect. Bill

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX

flyinguy said:
DFX-SE Gregg said:

$750. clad? nice! you are a expert huntin' fool! with all respect. Bill

Thanks I get out a lot work midnights hunt 4-5 times a week in morning after work... but starting Thursday I am changing shifts for a while will be working days by choice. Believe me there are guys finding more... I know Jack (In), always does very well, as well as Steve in Az... and the list goes on...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread