When a Turkeys life costs 2 wheats and a nickle.

Evolx10

Dec 20, 2007
Bronx - NY
Detector(s) used
DFX-300, M6
June 14 2008.

I started the day at about 4 am, woke up got ready and out the door. Drove about an hour upstate, got there nice and early – plenty of deer running all over, strolling down the road paying no mind to passing cars. So after I park and get settled I head over to hunt an area that has produced mid 1700’s - mid 1800’s coppers and one nice Pistareen. 3 hours pass and nothing not even a musket ball or a interesting chunk of iron. Following some advice by a “local” I head off into some heavy un-cut meadows – (hard-hard swinging). About half way through the second meadow I get a surprise, 3-4 feet from me a turkey hen explodes from the tall grass straight into the air, I look to my left and there’s another hen but further and heading off into the woods. The other one however is not leaving and makes a mock charge; I immediately realize there must be a nest with eggs or chicks somewhere in the tall grass. I hear chirping and right at my feet is a chick that’s a little stuck in the grass pushed over by my foot , so I help it and the second it chirps I get another charge from the hen. I slowly make my way around the area avoiding the hen and keeping an eye out for more chicks, towards the end of this meadow I find a 7” “orange” Wood Turtle.

I move on through the next small meadow and find a nice sized male Eastern Box Turtle, the meadow ends and I push on into the woods. I get to an area that has small random rock walls and small rock piles. I hunt the area a bit and find two wheat’s 1920 & 194? Same hole, then a 1952 Jefferson 6” away, I continue to jump around the area for a bit and find nothing more. I head on out of the woods and back through all the small meadows. I get to the last one before the road and surprise surprise – 3 grouse sized birds fly up and over a rock wall - I hear them crash into the leaves, then the 2 Turkey hens pop up- again one just takes off into the woods and the other vocalizes and runs over to where the 3 fledglings went and scatters them a bit more, then back to near me and it seems as if she’s leading me away from the babies. I follow- not wanting to disturb them much more.
20 feet from the road I hear a few chirps from behind me, turn around and in a few paces I see a hatchling chick looking like it’s a little stuck in the rough grass, I kneel down to free it and before I even touch it I see that something’s wrong. I pick it up only to hear it chirp and see its intestines hanging out its back end. I feel horrible, at that age its only survival instinct “lay low be quiet” has kept it invisible to me and my foot, the mother hen charges when the chick chirps I ignore her and place the chick on the floor knowing I can only do one thing to help it. I outstretch its neck on the floor and raise my knee-high shovel like an axe and slam it down hard enough to make sure it happens right the first time. I pull the shovel from the ground and throw the chick’s body near a rock wall, look down and its head is bent into the crease in the soil, and its staring up at me.

Ugh tough day, but I hope the chicks corpse will at least feed the family of 10 Ermine weasels I saw in the morning playing on the wall.

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
stuff happens. you did the right thing.

al-nm

May 8, 2008
new mexico
Detector(s) used
6000xlpro
ya you did the right thing but i dont want to hunt with you just in case i get hurt. rofl sorry thought some humor might fit the occassion.

Dan In sc PA

Mar 28, 2008
Waynesboro PA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
You did the right thing and you still had some good finds.. so really you had a good day, you had good finds and put the turkey in a better place....

OP
OP
Evolx10

Evolx10

Dec 20, 2007
Bronx - NY
Detector(s) used
DFX-300, M6
al-nm said:
ya you did the right thing but i don't want to hunt with you just in case i get hurt. rofl sorry thought some humor might fit the occasion.

rofl

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions