rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well by popular demand I am posting this to show some damage on rocks that can look altered by human hands but arent. These rocks are the normal types the Indians liked to use for making points and tools. You can see the cortex has been damaged on these. I believe farm machinery has done this seeing there is no buildings and were found in a field where they plow and plant crops. I have found many more examples but these are some I kept just for this. Now this field has been planted and plowed for 50 yrs so some of the damage is not fresh. But you can clearly see these are just rocks and not artifacts. Here you go Q

Attachments

• 100_2651.JPG
    100_2651.JPG
    315.5 KB · Views: 125
  • 100_3487.JPG
    100_3487.JPG
    312.9 KB · Views: 99
  • 100_3489.JPG
    100_3489.JPG
    369.6 KB · Views: 105
  • 100_3492.JPG
    100_3492.JPG
    410.2 KB · Views: 117
Upvote 0

SCrocks

May 11, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some may be just busted rocks but I believe a few may be cores and a lot is debtibage(spelling). Check out some flint nappers on youtub and see all the waste from making artifacts.

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
Those look like some of your hammer stones.

I agree with scrocks rock. Those are mostly debitage. Not saying it doesn't ever happen. but... Farm implements do not bust up rocks like you seem to think they do rock. The dirt usually gives away before the rock busts. Or they get pushed out of the way by the dirt before the implement strikes them. Take it from a guy who hunts nothing but land that has been farmed for over a century.

Oh, and the other day, just to prove something to my self. I was digging out for a driveway with my bobcat loader and hit a decent sized rock. I took the bucket and banged and banged on that thing, and I have a good cutting edge, I could not knock a chunk out of it, or break it. Just gouge and scuff it, and it was laying on hard ground, not laying in soft or worked soils. Maybe you can think of an experiment to demonstrate what you suspect. But I think you will find that slow moving implements move way more rocks without marking them than even just scuffing them, let alone busting them to smitherines like your examples. Did you take the time to look at all those plow strikes on the hammer stones I posted? There wasn't a chip missing.

OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If these were more than just rocks wouldnt they show a striking platform or a bulb of percussion from striking it? They dont show any forms or striking at all. This is an example of one done by human hands.

Attachments

• 100_2466.JPG
    100_2466.JPG
    295.6 KB · Views: 116

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
Wouldn't it be percussion that takes a flake off a rock when the plow or disk strikes it? Well? Wouldn't it?

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
ok rock friend
not gonna try to start anything here and mean no disrespect
rock you are right about those pieces not being artifacts....
......but SCrocks and quito are also right that they are not equipment damaged....they are debitage ....
.....in my experience farm equipment will break pottery and scrape some softer pieces like sandstone but not create the type of pieces you posted....do ya know what i mean?.....i also might be wrong

...now something tells me that i should have stayed out of this......?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ok rock friend
not gonna try to start anything here and mean no disrespect
rock you are right about those pieces not being artifacts....
......but SCrocks and quito are also right that they are not equipment damaged....they are debitage ....
.....in my experience farm equipment will break pottery and scrape some softer pieces like sandstone but not create the type of pieces you posted....do ya know what i mean?.....i also might be wrong

...now something tells me that i should have stayed out of this......?

Your not wrong.....:icon_thumright:

scepter1

May 17, 2011
Western Washington
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Looking at the angles of the breaks, my guess would be 3/4 of therm are debitage, 1/4 natural breaks.

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
Lol! Finally the real expert opines and the mystery officially ends. Thanks for setting everybody straight. Cores eh? Funny stuff.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Possible core.

ForumRunner_20130609_100249-1.jpg

Possible blade core

ForumRunner_20130609_100249-2.jpg

ForumRunner_20130609_102045.png

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
Your point? Didn't I say I agreed with scrocks in my very first post? Didn't he say there were some cores?

"I agree with scrocks rock"

Now, could you be honest and admit that Larson, treasure hunter, and I had it right too, and quit looking for fine details to critique? After all we did point out they were not all farm machinery related, the main theme of the thread. Can't argue that can you?

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sure he appreciates all you do for him.

Last edited:

Brandiwine

Mar 3, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm very new as my membership status shows. What is debitage?

Debitage is basically flakes of lithic material (flint, chert) left from making tools, points, etc. Some larger flakes/debitage were repurposed for other tools like smaller scrapers. At least that's what I think. I'm relatively new as well. Especially new in terms of the education behind tool making. The how, why, what...

Welcome! Don't let the bickering scare you away as I've learned a tremendous amount from this site. As with this post and many others, you'll need to use your own reasoning, judgement and research to decide for yourself who's full of bologna and who knows how to authenticate the bologna. A lot of folks on here have years of experience and knowledge to learn from...these guys included. Only passion, ego and opinions sometimes get in the way. I've even learned to like them all for it. Of course I'm a graduate of the school of sarcasm so that might come natural.

Cheers! Happy Sunday! It's hot as **** and I need a beer.

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
"Cheers! Happy Sunday! It's hot as **** and I need a beer."

Cool and rainy here, but I'm going to have a beer.

And Sara, welcome aboard, and if you wanna see pictures of debitage see the thread I just started called cores and debitage, or just look back to the beginning of this thread.

Brandiwine

Mar 3, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not really sure about this piece. The flaking around the edges is a little dull (this piece has been heavily handled by my 6 yr old son) but it resembles a discoidal piece I've seen on google before. I wouldn't have posted but the flakes of lithic material shine so nicely (it reminds you of chocolate) I have to wonder if its been manipulated by man (other than my son).

Ok...I would go on but honestly I can
No longer come up with humorous remarks by looking at this cookie. Plus my son ate it sooooo I have nothing visual to spark my sense of humor.

Disclaimer: I mean absolutely nothing by this other than to bring a smile to someone's face on this beautiful day!

Cookies for piece man...cookies for peace!

Attachments

• image-4180234083.jpg
    image-4180234083.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 69

Brandiwine

Mar 3, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Cheers! Happy Sunday! It's hot as **** and I need a beer."

Cool and rainy here, but I'm going to have a beer.

And Sara, welcome aboard, and if you wanna see pictures of debitage see the thread I just started called cores and debitage, or just look back to the beginning of this thread.

Beer is good. Thanks for the other thread too Quito. I assure you I will post no cookies there. Lol.

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
So brandiwine did you take them to preform stage all the way through to this stage or were they made by others hands?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread