Rock with Silver like veins

smokedNuts

Tenderfoot
Jun 17, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hi Guys I'm new to the forum. I found this rock and need help identifying it. Its fairly large rock with silver like veins and it is slightly magnetic.
20170617_075236.jpg 20170617_075145.jpg 20170617_075158.jpg

Last edited:

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Is it magnetic? Does it feel heavy for its size? What range does your metal detector register it?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

smokedNuts

Tenderfoot
Jun 17, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is it magnetic? Does it feel heavy for its size? What range does your metal detector register it?

Yes the its magnetic. I don't have a metal detector(I want one). I found the rock while cleaning rocks off an old road in CA. It was large approx 40lb black rock with a rusty iron streaks on the outside. I crushed some small pieces with a hammer and panned it. the darker stuff sticks to the magnet like black sand and sliver/white pieces are heavier than the black sand stuff.

Upvote 0

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't know much about ore, or how to do different tests. But I don't think silver ore is necessarily silver color. If it's really heavy, it might be platinum, but I can't help you as far as testing goes.

Upvote 0

AU Seeker

Bronze Member
Oct 14, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
E-Track, MXT, CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the "silver" material is a metal, it should flatten out when beaten with a hammer even if it's platinum, if it shatters/breaks up it's not a metal but some type of mineral.

It's not silver that for sure, native silver would be almost if not completely black due to it's propensity to tarnish.

Upvote 0

P.ALLEN

Jun 8, 2017
A2 Michigan
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Tesoro Compadre, Ace 250, CMS magnetics, Garrett pinpointer, Fiskars trenching spade.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Chances are if you took a blowtorch to the exposed "silver", the surrounding rock would shatter and pop like popcorn, I suspect micro silica in the matrix. Its definately an ore of some type.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

smokedNuts

Tenderfoot
Jun 17, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Guys, It does crumble when smashed with the hammer. And I tried the blowtorch method on a piece the size of a quarter it glowed red And after it cooled it looked like metal slag and crumbled really easy. So is it just a really cool rock to look at or would it be worth having it tested?

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread