Rockhoundblog - looking for peoples stories about rockhounding

R

rockhoundblog.com

Hello, my name is Gary and I run www.rockhoundblog.com We are a nonprofit and educational blog about anything Lapidary. We are always looking for interesting people to post stories/articles/ well really anything Lapidary!

Do you have a rockhound related site? Tell me about it and I will send my readers your way. Do you make jewelry from what you find? I would love to post your creations. Have a favorite spot to rockhound, tell me about it.

**we are only as interesting as the people who submit to us...

Here is my latest find in BC Canada:

Friday was a great day for rockhounding! It had rained heavy the day before and where I was going was easy access in and out. I have been close to the spot before on one of my posts but this was in a different location.

Right at the top where Barthartvale road meets Robbins Range, turn onto Robbins Range and drive to the 1KM marker. Map on my site.

The great thing about rockhounding after a rain I find is that all the rocks are not a dull dusty gray and its easy to spot certain colous. Thats what made my outing so good I believe. We started to dig in the edge of a cliff on the side of the road and had some success, but then we started to just walk along the road and the agates were just exploding with colour and pleading with us to pick them up. I found some cool specimens, heres one I thought looked cool. My friend thought it looked like something sitting in his fridge.

Attachments

• rockhoundblog.JPG
    rockhoundblog.JPG
    70.4 KB · Views: 400

jorge del norte

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2005
nc
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex - Tesoro Conquistador Umax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use to work for a jeweler for a summer, and I bought my own Hoke torch setup, and I am gathering silver to make rings and stuff........I just found a silver fork and might melt it down and make something, what I want to do is make my own hallmark then start making jewelry........I don't want to order one cause there exspensive......any ideas on making one??? I have made 2 silver rings, but I'm rusty with the old torch....one looks ok the other looks primative.....I cast them myself in charcoal, and practiced silver overlay technique......I'm into old mexican and soutwest silversmithing, love to know more about that........and I need a milling machine, drill press, mandrel, and other tools.....it's a exspensive hobby.
One day I'll get rolling with it.........cheers.

geo

Upvote 0

Postalrevnant

Silver Member
Jul 5, 2006
Mountains
Welcome to the forum Rockhoundblog. There is a section of the forum for this topic. That is a very nice rock in the picture. If I could find things like that in SE Kentucky I would look.

Rev

Upvote 0

ghost surf

Dec 11, 2004
After reading about meteorites, I started on my own hunt for the elusive space rock.
I go just about anywhere including that of farmer fields with permission always, newly dug up ditches and even along lakes and rivers.I have not found anything yet,but I do have a lot of rocks (about 40+) with symptoms. I have sent three of my finds to (The Meteorite Man) Robert Haag and so far he has said no,but with one rock, he did say I was as very close to that of a meteorite and that made me even more enthusiastic for the hunt of the elusive space rock. I have also sent some of my possible meteorite finds as pictures to Treasure Net.com and they have always been excellent teachers with explaining the type of rock I have found and I truly appreciate their help. All through my last few years of hunting, I have had people laugh at me, call me odd and weird and even said I was nuts for hunting in the area of Wisconsin, because meteorites tend to rust fast and are very hard to find because of the type of land Wisconsin has.But if you read the books you will find that there are meteorites being found all the time.
I am relentless though,I will not give up! I have done some studies on meteorites and have also read many books and articles about them.Meteorites are coming through our atmosphere all the time and yes they do tend to burn up in the atmosphere,but once in a while they drop down and they could end up in your back yard. I read for every square mile on the earth you should be able to find a meteorite..all depending on the area they land and if the land is being used or built on.I say go where the dirt was moved the meteorite may have taken a ride.
Meteorite Man Robert Haag Say's there are meteorites everywhere and has always said to me:If you keep looking you will sooner or later find one...He Say's quote{They are out there!}So even with the small odds, you still could find one.
So until the day I find one...I will still go on the hunt, like a cat with magnet and metal detector in my hand, traveling here and there on that endless hunt to find a meteorite. ;)

That's my story and I am sticking to it! ;D

Upvote 0

jamesrolson

Dec 1, 2006
Georgia by way of Seattle
Howdy! If you look in "today's finds" I have posted pictures of crystals and finished jewelry I have made from some of my finds in GA. There is also a link to a 5 minute video showing the process of creating the jewelry from mining to cutting to setting.

On my website I have several Field trip reports with pictures and stories out some of the expeditions I have taken my club on.

I also have a book available on my website called "Take a Hike" gem and mineral collecting in GA.

Good luck with your site!

Jim Olson
www.myrddinscave.com

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread