Rocks? Tools? Both? Neither?

Boringrat

May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Over the last 8 years I found around 10 locations accessible only by boat where I find pottery shards. I have yet to come across a arrowhead or anything that resembles one. I can’t think of any locations near me that would have rocks or stones. It’s pretty much all marshy swamps. The only hard materials are the shell mounds where I find pottery. Beyond the shells muddy swamps and before the shells water. Anytime I see like a stone or rock or anything that isn’t a shell I usually keep it. I don’t know if these are anything at all but I figured I would lay out what I collected over 8 year and take a few pics. If y’all see anything that could be a tool or something let me know and if y’all need close ups or better pics of individual pieces let me know. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1516415091.801664.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1516415100.610393.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1516415110.088856.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1516415118.055131.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1516415126.963437.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1516415134.623834.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1516415142.192162.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1516415152.059825.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1516415152.059825.jpg
    396.2 KB · Views: 107
Upvote 0

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
first let me say that I am NO expert, but almost all of that belongs in your driveway ( I hope I'm wrong)

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Based on the poor quality pictures posted don't see anything that says artifact, only rocks.

OP
OP
Boringrat

Boringrat

May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That’s what I figured. I don’t know why you are seeing poor image quality bc I uploaded with the best option.

gentleone444

Apr 28, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im no expert either but after a few years i think Im starting to grasp what worked material looks like. Unfortunately I dont see anything here. It really helps to buy a few points so you can hold them in your hand and really study what it looks like. Also looking on here helps. Train your eyes. Keep hunting!

arrow86

Silver Member
May 6, 2014
Eastern Shore Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also don’t seeing anything that I would have kept , If it’s a swamp with a lot of marsh there’s a good chance that any points may be under a few feet of mud and prob not gonna find any unless a huge storm shakes it up. Can you follow the water out to any sandy shores if so I would check there at low tide if it’s a tidal body of water

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agree with your identification but for some reason I’m seeing very good images, especially image 6.
When I said poor images I meant no close up pictures of the rocks.

OP
OP
Boringrat

Boringrat

May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Peaches I have a few post of the shards. I would have taken some close ups had i thought it were actually something that’s why i took a few shots of all of them just Incase something stood out to the trained eye. If so then I will or would have taken better pics of those. I was pretty confident that they were nothing but rocks but like I said everything in that pic were the only rocks period I came across in 8 years that’s the only reason I kept them. Had I been in a creek or area filled with rocks and stones I would have simply ignored all of the pieces. As for as sand I’m in fresh water so mud is all I have unless I would travel south in the water for a hour or so then I would find some sandy material

NCPeaches

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2013
Western Piedmont North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Peaches I have a few post of the shards. I would have taken some close ups had i thought it were actually something that’s why i took a few shots of all of them just Incase something stood out to the trained eye. If so then I will or would have taken better pics of those. I was pretty confident that they were nothing but rocks but like I said everything in that pic were the only rocks period I came across in 8 years that’s the only reason I kept them. Had I been in a creek or area filled with rocks and stones I would have simply ignored all of the pieces. As for as sand I’m in fresh water so mud is all I have unless I would travel south in the water for a hour or so then I would find some sandy material

I see you posted them in separate threads and they are beautiful. Looks like we have a similar dilemma, tons of pottery and that's about it which is not a bad thing at all.

jamus peek

May 13, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It takes time for the mind to understand that rocks can take on shapes of artifacts. They can have sharp edges if found in a creek they can look polished they can have grooves. You want to look for smooth polished texture if fully worked if not some areas may show pecking where another rock was used to peck into shape. That being said there are crude artifacts ones that by pics just really look like rocks.

On contrary to what some believe ground stone is very common in some areas and less common in others.

I personally do not see any stone artifacts. The texture looks natural. I see no broken skin aside from natural breaks and do not see any polish. Don't worry though because we have all been there If you stick with it long enough you will prevail. Also my advice is to hang on to some of these and later on when you find some nicely worked rocks you will see that you are progressing because you will see that it is time give the rocks back to the creek.

OP
OP
Boringrat

Boringrat

May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jamus like I said I few time before in this thread. There is no creek even close to the areas I’m finding my pottery shards. Like not place I can think of that I could drive to within a couple of hours. I completely understand that all the pictures most likely are nothing at all bc I didn’t see anything that stood out. The reason I collected these and asked is bc over the last 8 or so years of collecting thousands of pieces of pottery I haven’t found a single tool or arrow. With that being said I began keeping any rocks or stones I come across bc I rarely see any at all. The picture contains every rock or stone I found in the past 8 years. So I figured maybe they were somehow used for something. Thank you all for confirming what I thought. I just wanted to make sure bc like I said I don’t have any creeks with millions of stones and rocks. Looking forward to finding a arrow head or tool. Thanks again

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Start by looking for the reduction flakes made during manufacturing and hopefully the points will follow. The material in your pictures is all wrong. Learn to recognize local flint. Sometimes I find a lot of the right material just no work on it.
Good luck.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread