Rolling Rock Bottle

jrsherman

Oct 15, 2008
Tulsa, OK
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD, F75, Minelab Excalibur 1000, Etrac
Hi guys and gals, figured I'd ask a question here.

I found this Rolling Rock bottle in a 1930's to 1950's era dump. I found out RR was founded in 1939, which goes with the dump, but allI could find were screw top type bottles in this Pony 7oz variety. I also read that the bottles all had the "33" added in on a slogan fudge, which turned into the company's little "secret" type thing, and this bottle doesn't have that anywhere either.

Am I right to guess that this is a pop-top type bottle? I know companies still make these, but I'm just wondering since I can't find an example of this company's bottle in this type.

Thanks for any input!!

Attachments

• IMG_1369.JPG
    IMG_1369.JPG
    61.4 KB · Views: 7,013
  • IMG_1370.JPG
    IMG_1370.JPG
    66.9 KB · Views: 4,291

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rolling Rock - the Pennsylvania beer! Latrobe, Pa - 1939 is when it started!

B

I think they were sold to the Anheuser-Busch company a couple of years ago.

OP
OP
jrsherman

jrsherman

Oct 15, 2008
Tulsa, OK
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD, F75, Minelab Excalibur 1000, Etrac
Well there I go!!

Tyvm for that quick bit of help!! That actually dates great to the area I found it, I also found a 55 nickle in that stretch, so I'm slowly dating out sections of the dump.

Thanks again for the help!!

pegleglooker

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Banning, California
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
here ya go,

Rolling Rock is a brand of pale lager beer. Although founded as a local beer in Western Pennsylvania, it was marketed aggressively and eventually became a national product. The brand was sold to Anheuser-Busch of St. Louis, Missouri in mid 2006, which transferred brewing operations to New Jersey.

Rolling Rock beer is distinctive in several ways, including use of green glass bottles with painted-on labels rather than glued-on paper labels.

The number 33 is printed prominently on all bottles of Rolling Rock. A widely-held belief is that it marks the repeal of prohibition in 1933. However, according to James L. Tito, former CEO of Latrobe Brewing, the "33" signifies the 33 words in the beer's slogan: "Rolling Rock - From the glass lined tanks of Old Latrobe, we tender this premium beer for your enjoyment as a tribute to your good taste. It comes from the mountain springs to you."

A founding executive is said to have written "33" at the end of the slogan to indicate the number of words it comprised as a guide for the bottle printers. However, they thought it was part of the text and incorporated it into the label graphics. Hence, the first batch of bottles carried the number "33" and they remained that way since they were continually collected and reused (also, during the Great Depression, there was no reason to throw away perfectly good merchandise and start over). This tradition has been sustained by the company as the wording on the labels has changed over the years, and the verbiage is carefully structured to retain a length of 33 words. There are several other lesser-known theories or urban legends about the "mysterious" number 33, but none have been verified.

The term pony bottle is derived from the horse on the bottle, and refers to the smaller sized 7-ounce bottle.[citation needed] Some pony bottles have paper (rather than painted) labels because of space restrictions.[citation needed]}

From 1939 until 2006, Rolling Rock was brewed at the Latrobe Brewing Company. In May, 2006, Anheuser-Busch purchased the Rolling Rock and Rolling Rock Green Light brands from InBev and began brewing Rolling Rock at its Newark facility in mid July, 2006. The final batch of Rolling Rock was shipped from Latrobe on July 31, 2006. Anheuser-Busch has said that Rolling Rock's original pledge on the label will be preceded by these words: "To honor the tradition of this great brand, we quote from the original pledge of quality." This appears on current production (2007) painted bottles, along with "Latrobe Brewing Co., ST. LOUIS, MO." In July 2008, InBev reached a deal to acquire Anheuser-Busch, thereby returning ownership of Rolling Rock to InBev.

Residents of the Greater Latrobe Area organized a boycott of InBev and Anheuser-Busch brands to demonstrate their disapproval of Rolling Rock leaving the area where it was born.[1] Although Anheuser-Busch has claimed that the recipe has remained the same, some Rolling Rock enthusiasts claim the taste of the beer has slightly changed since the move to Newark.

Anheuser-Busch appears poised to roll out a red lager version of Rolling Rock called Rolling Rock Red. While the number 33 has been a traditional part of Rolling Rock iconography, Rolling Rock Red's label has a “3.”

Rolling Rock was the favorite beer of Tim Russert, late anchor of Meet The Press. Rolling Rock was used by Tom Brokaw at Russert's memorial service to honor the fallen anchor.[2]

PLL

Judd97

Dec 18, 2008
New Kensington, PA
mrs.oroblanco said:
I hope, if they make a new version, it doesn't taste like the old version ;D ;D ;D (water with beer flavor).

B

Blasphemy! I'm from Latrobe, be careful what you say :P

The selling of Rolling Rock was a big deal around here, as pegleglooker noted. The new version DOES taste different than the old version but (whispers) i never really liked the old version either But live in Latrobe and do as the Latrobers do, or something like that.

I have a few of those pony bottles as well, they're pretty commonly found in a few of our local bottle dumps.

pegleglooker

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Banning, California
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As a young lad growing up in NE Ohio, I have savored the taste of the " original " nectar ( wayyyy before I was 18 ) and wish it would return as it was in the beginning. GREAT TASTING Ale....

enjoy
PLL

Unicorn

Nov 18, 2007
Birmingham
Primary Interest:
Other
Not sure if this is something peculiar to the UK, but I have seen old bottles that have a small round piece of glass inside of them. It moves up and down as you tip the bottle up. Would this be the actual stopper to the bottle? I suppose it could be, but then if you tilt the bottle right up to pour something, this little piece of glass would finish up by blocking the spout ???

Unicorn

Unicorn

Nov 18, 2007
Birmingham
Primary Interest:
Other
pegleg. Unfortunately I don't have the facilities to post pictures ( hope Santa is looking at this) As soon as is possible, and if I get hold of one of these bottles I will post one. They are becoming much rarer to get hold of now.
As for beer cans, I am not even sure we have old ones, most of the beer came in bottles . I will certainly keep my eyes open for them tho.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year

Unicorn

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rolling Rock tastes like contaminated water - yuuuuuuuuk!

Our area in Pa seemed to LOVE Rolling Rock - of course, it was sold at a cheaper price there (when I was a younger person).

B

pegleglooker

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Banning, California
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Mrsoro,
If you're from PA then it's got to be Iron City, Old German ( Renner or Cumberland ), Stroh's just to name a few...

PLL

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread