Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went hunting with a retired army guy that has been living over here for over 20 years. He has been hunting for about 15 or so. We went to a place where we thought there might have been some roman activity around 200-400AD. We hunted these terribly muddy fields for about three hours with out finding much. I think he had pulled two late 1800 coins out of the ground and I had found a couple of musket rounds and an unreadable coin and other odds and ends. It was about 32 degrees and getting late.Around 4 pm we decided to try a small grassy field across the road before we headed out. After about 15 minutes I had a signal and could not seem to find my target. Finnally I saw what I thought was a flat button but it had no back on it. After cleaning it off I saw that it was a roman coin. It is very small and probably not worth anything but it will go great in my collection! I found one more coin after that (an 1899 something )and some trash. Hope all is well and happy hunting. :)

Attachments

• Jan13ROMANCOIN1.jpg
    Jan13ROMANCOIN1.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 399
  • Jan13$romancoin3.jpg
    Jan13$romancoin3.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 369
  • Jan13coins.jpg
    Jan13coins.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 388
  • Jan13RELICS.jpg
    Jan13RELICS.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 379
Upvote 0

folkert

Feb 10, 2004
Germany
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero Germany
Hi Trent, is it your first roman coin? Congratulations, it looks like a 3rd century Antoninanus.

OP
OP
birdman

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea,Folkert that's my first.I can't believe how small the thing is. Hope we can find some this summer! ;) HH

Kent in AL

Mar 21, 2003
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Fisher CZ-6a, ID Edge
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great find Birdman! I would be thrilled to find a coin from the 19th century (it's been a looooong time). I can't imagine finding one from the 3rd century.

Burdie

Gold Member
Nov 13, 2005
South Central Kansas
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kent in AL said:
Great find Birdman!? I would be thrilled to find a coin from the 19th century (it's been a looooong time).? I can't imagine finding one from the 3rd century.
You got that right Kent! I can't even count that far back. LOL :o :o

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Do you remember the days when the 1899 something made you excited? Now you're on to Roman coins. Congratulations!

tsgman

Bronze Member
Sep 13, 2005
Springfield, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Fisher Gold Bug, MXT, Etrac, CTX 3030, GPX 5000, Troy Shadow, CZ20, Excal II, Tesoro Stingray, AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bman, nice going. I was wondering if you might snag one of those Roman coins sooner or later. I am betting you will find something really valuable before to long. Tsgman

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a find bird!!!! Wow! :o

Congrats!!!

Good luck on your next outing...look forward to your posts!

;)

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
Wow,, what great find, WTG!!!
Out in 32 degree weather and all that mud, I'd say you earned it,,, Congrats!
Good luck, & Happy hunting~

R

rvbvetter

WOW!!!!! Congratulations!!! It seemed like it was only a matter of time, with all the finds you've been making. Do I dare ask which detector you found it with?
I wonder, does harmonica go with polka? Great!! Find!! HH

OP
OP
birdman

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My oldest coin before I got stationed here was ?1943 . I had never found much. A few CW bullets and modern coins were about it. There is so much stuff to find here, I wish I had a lot more time to hunt. Rvbvetter , I used my CZ . My other one is in the mail heading to the doctor. I took it outside the other day and it is still going haywire. I called Fisher and they said no problem send it in.The tech I talked to said he is sure that it is the touch pad being mine was one of the first models. He did say the problem has been fixed since early on and mine was an early production model. Hope all is well.

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whoa! Congrats on the Roman coin, whata great find! HH, Mike

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice one, birdman!

You are doing great and I'd love to actually dig a Roman coin were it was lost by the original owner!

This is the ultimate TH experience!

Congrats and I'd really work that spot over! And too, some ancient coins really are worth lots of money. I'd have an expert look over what you find.

Zeb

Huntin' 59er

Apr 27, 2005
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
W T G on the Roman coin ! Sounds like a good site to find more. Keep us posted.

Huntin' 59er

groundfisher

Mar 27, 2005
Merrill,Wi.
I'm happy for ya Birdman. A dedicated detectorist like you deserves a great find like that.
32 degrees and diggin in that wet ground - WTG! Sounds like you and your partner have an excellent site to hunt. Keep up the good work. HH!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread