Roman coins

As promised here are a few of my roman coins.
As you can see 2000+ years in British soil doesnt do you too much good. :D
The top 5 are what we call` Grotts ` and this is how most roman brionze coins appear.
The 2 bronze on the bottom row area bit better.
The large bronze with a bust that you can see is Marcus Auralius ( spealt wrong no doubt)
Him from The movie Gladiator.
The silver denarius with SC by the bust is from 87BC that makes it 2093 years old :o :o
Im sorry I cant give details on them all but I just love the buzz of finding them.

Again i hope you enjoy and that you all stay lucky........................Colin

Attachments

• Romans.jpg
    Romans.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 381
  • Romans.jpg
    Romans.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 379
Upvote 0

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice ancient coins. The only ones I see like that are those I buy from the diggers in the UK or Israel.

Some of mine come looking more like rocks than coins.

Several years ago there was a dealer of ancient coins located in Florida. I got some awesome coins from him. He was selling them to me as dug for as low as 40 cents each. Most were well over 24mm in size.

I found several great Nero's and many other top types.

That was fun but my sources have dried up and that's that.

It must be great being able to actually dig these coins.

HH

Badger

DJ_Quinn

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2005
Southeastern Ireland
Well Badger, if you'd get over to this part of the world, like I did, from Michigan, you would have a chance! So far I've dug some hammered coins and some old George IIs, but they are usually in pretty bad shape once they are in the ground that long. After much experimenting, andd ruining more than a few by trying to clean them, ( I know, I know! I should have listened to you guys! ), I only ever use electrolysis, which does do a pretty good job on copper and bronze. The only Roman coins I have are ones I've bought from diggers in the UK, as we don't find too many Roman coins here in Ireland, although they have been found.

folkert

Feb 10, 2004
Germany
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero Germany
Here's my best sestertius so far: Trajan (98-117 AD)

Attachments

• Sesterz 1.jpg
    Sesterz 1.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 344
  • Sesterz 2.jpg
    Sesterz 2.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 344
  • Sesterz 1.jpg
    Sesterz 1.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 346
  • Sesterz 2.jpg
    Sesterz 2.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 343

The Seeker

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2005
Keep on Digging!
Detector(s) used
MINELAB Explorer-II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds like always....Those Ancient coins are just such nice finds....Holding the History of some figure from the past...WHO LOST THAT COIN? You sit back and wonder................ :)

DJ_Quinn

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2005
Southeastern Ireland
Yeah, exactly. The whole reason I bought an MD when I moved to Ireland was my interest in History. I'm going to MD an old battle site over the weekend. It was a spill over from the War of the Roses fought on Irish soil, and its only about 10 miles from my house. I've been to other 15 & 16th century battle sites and found old musket balls.
I love midieval history, and I am researching first before I set out anywhere. The find something even older, like Flavian coins or Bronze age, would be a huge thrill for me.

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
Very nice group of coins, WTG!!!
The two silvers, and the one bottom/right look to be in great condition.
Good luck, & Happy hunting~

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread