Roman in the woods

robfinds

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2007
Yorkshire England
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmax
Been scrounging round a local wood recently. Like most woods it's absolutely saturated with shot gun buts. The only way to preserve what little sanity I have left, was to listen very carefully to the signals. Shot gun buts, give a nice solid sounding signal. Coins on the other hand, give a sharper tone. So only digging the sharper signals improved matters greatly. The older good copper buts, still got through, the modern ones though did not. On one end of the small wood is a large rabbit warren. In the soil excavated by the rabbits, I found a Danish 2 Ore coin dated 1912. And what is left of a small bronze Roman brooch. The brooch as seen better day's, but still a welcome find. Without the rabbits, the brooch would have remained four foot under the wood. The other picture is of some of the Roman brooches I've found down the years. Robert.

Attachments

• IMG_6681.JPG
    IMG_6681.JPG
    354.8 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_6643.JPG
    IMG_6643.JPG
    879.6 KB · Views: 159
Upvote 14

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice digs!
Cool that you can still find this stuff even with all the interference from modern junk. :treasurechest::thumbsup:

oldbenny

Sep 19, 2013
weymouth
Detector(s) used
xpp goldmaxx 2 garrett at pro mienleab excailbur 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well done another brit finding the good stuff ...

Subterranean

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southwest Missouri
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro (Julio), Garrett AT Max (Medusa), Garrett Pro Pointer, White's Prism V, Lesche Digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rob, your display is outstanding! Did the Romans run around stripping their clothes off all over Britain? :laughing7: Sub

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have some great brooches in your collection! It's always good to have some wooded areas on hand!

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Westfront, sold all the best brooches. Woods are ok, but they can be hard work.

Hard work sometimes but a chance to get finds in a condition you'll never get out of a field. It's worth fighting the bugs!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello robfinds,

You have found a beautiful collection of Roman history. Congratulations!

Regards,

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds! You need to drop by a carrot for the help!

Our school grounds here are so littered with trash and junk, I have to clear a spot first so I can ground balance, to hunt. Then listen to the tones.

OP
OP
robfinds

robfinds

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2007
Yorkshire England
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmax
Nice finds! You need to drop by a carrot for the help!

Our school grounds here are so littered with trash and junk, I have to clear a spot first so I can ground balance, to hunt. Then listen to the tones.
That sounds bad Ms. How much junk still gets through ?. I have to dig a few solid signals, just to put my mind at rest.

OP
OP
robfinds

robfinds

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2007
Yorkshire England
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmax
Hard work sometimes but a chance to get finds in a condition you'll never get out of a field. It's worth fighting the bugs!
I used to detect with a guy who started detecting in the 70s. Jimmy practically lived in the woods. His finds were mind blowing. Medieval swords complete, bronze age spears, his Roman finds were all pristine.Robert.

oldsoapy

May 28, 2007
uk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
garret ads 1. plus T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well done mate, l might give some of the small woods around the field edges a go but it gets very monotonous with the very large amount of cartridge ends, all my fields are now under crop for a few more weeks. cheers Hutch.

OP
OP
robfinds

robfinds

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2007
Yorkshire England
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmax
Well done mate, l might give some of the small woods around the field edges a go but it gets very monotonous with the very large amount of cartridge ends, all my fields are now under crop for a few more weeks. cheers Hutch.
True Hutch, think after you've dug a few. You have to simply ignore that tone of signal. Otherwise it becomes very hard work.:thumbsup:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You have rabbits? :) Nice save on the fib. from the warren, also the collection of fibs is outstanding. What are the round ones in the display, disk brooches?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions