Roman in the woods

robfinds

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2007
Yorkshire England
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmax
Been scrounging round a local wood recently. Like most woods it's absolutely saturated with shot gun buts. The only way to preserve what little sanity I have left, was to listen very carefully to the signals. Shot gun buts, give a nice solid sounding signal. Coins on the other hand, give a sharper tone. So only digging the sharper signals improved matters greatly. The older good copper buts, still got through, the modern ones though did not. On one end of the small wood is a large rabbit warren. In the soil excavated by the rabbits, I found a Danish 2 Ore coin dated 1912. And what is left of a small bronze Roman brooch. The brooch as seen better day's, but still a welcome find. Without the rabbits, the brooch would have remained four foot under the wood. The other picture is of some of the Roman brooches I've found down the years. Robert.

Attachments

• IMG_6681.JPG
    IMG_6681.JPG
    354.8 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_6643.JPG
    IMG_6643.JPG
    879.6 KB · Views: 159
Upvote 14

DMN

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2009
I like those bits and pieces you have. Just having them in hand has to evoke some pretty strong imagery. Shame we don't get to see your choice finds. At some point you'll have to invest in a 3D printer so the good stuff will be available for show!

Digging the woods is the best way to go. You may not always find loads of keepers in one spot but not many people like to brave them so the good stuff is more likely to be found. Persistence is the key.

OP
OP
robfinds

robfinds

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2007
Yorkshire England
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmax
You have rabbits? :) Nice save on the fib. from the warren, also the collection of fibs is outstanding. What are the round ones in the display, disk brooches?
Hello pepperj, rabbits were brought to England, it's thought by the Romans. There were hares in pre Roman times.Yes the round brooches are disc brooches.:thumbsup:

OP
OP
robfinds

robfinds

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2007
Yorkshire England
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmax
I like those bits and pieces you have. Just having them in hand has to evoke some pretty strong imagery. Shame we don't get to see your choice finds. At some point you'll have to invest in a 3D printer so the good stuff will be available for show!

Digging the woods is the best way to go. You may not always find loads of keepers in one spot but not many people like to brave them so the good stuff is more likely to be found. Persistence is the key.
Hello DMN, sold a lot of good stuff, pre digital camera. True there is good stuff in woods. And you are absolutely right, persistence, is the key.:thumbsup:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello pepperj, rabbits were brought to England, it's thought by the Romans. There were hares in pre Roman times.Yes the round brooches are disc brooches.:thumbsup:

There's no shortage of them it seems, I'm always impressed at how fast a Hare can cross over a field.:laughing7:

One estate had the a team of hunters come in with radio collared Ferrets, they'd send down the Ferret to flush the rabbits out. They culled 700-800 animals over a period of time and two years later while ending up the day of detecting I counted 42 rabbits feeding along the field edge, so they come back like weeds it seems.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm all for the sounds, as I often bang on about, but I've noticed that I can now easy predict a shotgun shell because they all hit in the 48-52 range. I still dig them all though because some Roman coins hit that ID as well, although they do sound sweeter. The Deus has improved my successful guess before I dig ratio!

Roll on Harvest!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread