May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We did another 6 hours over 2 days & we have gridded over 90% of the scatter for the second time. We nearly had as many coins the 2nd time as we did on the first!
I found a nice Brooch today which if we don't come back, was a good finish.

11 Roman Coins (Fridays hunt)
7 Roman Coins (Todays)
2 Roman mystery partifacts
3rd C AD Gilt & Spoked Roman Brooch - A first of this type.:icon_thumright:

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    251.6 KB · Views: 132
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    326 KB · Views: 131
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    73.2 KB · Views: 129
  • 1a.JPG
    1a.JPG
    176.4 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:
Upvote 20
Last edited:
Hello Crusader, I always enjoy your posts to see what kind of 1,000 - 2,000 year old goodies you have unearthed. You must have over 100 pounds of those dark colored coins. I think you sometimes refer to them as 'scrappies?'. Do you just toss them in boxes and store them or do you display some of the better ones?

Scrappies go in a big tub.
Coins with some detail, I give away to kids etc...
Album coins, are just that, nice examples

hmmm...i think it's not casual.
Romans used the sepulture and incenerate but on the both ways they placed inside the objects he would need on the other life. They also needed the gold to pay the transition.
Maybe you know more than me.
After nine days after the sepulture, the used also to organize parties over the tomb, with the band and the cookers.

hmmm...i think it's not casual.
Romans used the sepulture and incenerate but on the both ways they placed inside the objects he would need on the other life. They also needed the gold to pay the transition.
Maybe you know more than me.
After nine days after the sepulture, the used also to organize parties over the tomb, with the band and the cookers.
The coins we find on sites are in no-way associated with burials or cremations.
This site was used for 200 years, I think there was 3 or 4 houses on the road with 8-10 people in each. So if we assume the population was stable (which is untrue, it varies, but just to keep the maths simple) for 200 years & 35 people/kids lost just 1 coin a year = 7,000 coins! We have less than 250 so far, & many must have been found by others but its never going to be 7000. However, my point is that its a small loss rate of just 1 per person per year & it adds up quickly.
These are mostly low denomination coins like our 1 & 2 pence coins which if you go to any play park you will find hundreds of in much less than 10 years.
Lastly when they were sweeping up their clay floors the odd coin was mixed in with the straw etc & thrown on the fields they farmed.(how many stories have you heard of people throwing valuables into the bin by accident) This has been proven in the Medieval period as well. More coins are on the field than in the village, & its not losses because you don't carry coin when working the land.
Dumping rubbish on fields accounts for most of my finds.

Last edited:
The coins we find on sites are in no-way associated with burials or cremations.
This site was used for 200 years, I think there was 3 or 4 houses on the road with 8-10 people in each. So if we assume the population was stable (which is untrue, it varies, but just to keep the maths simple) for 200 years & 35 people/kids lost just 1 coin a year = 7,000 coins! We have less than 250 so far, & many must have been found by others but its never going to be 7000. However, my point is that its a small loss rate of just 1 per person per year & it adds up quickly.
These are mostly low denomination coins like our 1 & 2 pence coins which if you go to any play park you will find hundreds of in much less than 10 years.
Lastly when they were sweeping up their clay floors the odd coin was mixed in with the straw etc & thrown on the fields they farmed.(how many stories have you heard of people throwing valuables into the bin by accident) This has been proven in the Medieval period as well. More coins are on the field than in the village, & its not losses because you don't carry coin when working the land.
Dumping rubbish on fields accounts for most of my finds.

Great analizing Cru. It seamed like i watched a movie.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back