Rookie Weekend/Bronx, NY

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS/II & Garrett ACE 250
Hi Everyone,
I'm new to the forum, posted an intro here about a week ago. This weekend was my first real metal detecting weekend with my first metal detector, an inexpensive BH 1100. A couple of weeks ago I went out to a beach for a little while just to try it out. Didn't really have the time. Yesterday and today I went out to a local park. I'm new at this and was digging quite alot of junk, caps, tabs, etc. Finally I got tired and set the thing to discriminate against everything but silver and copper. With that I started getting some result. Day 1 it started out with a penny. My confidence leverl soared with that. Then came a dime, a quarter, followed by a couple more times. 60 something cents of modern coins but my day was made. I figure if I could find those, I can find others. Today I went back out and pulled out a couple of dimes, 3 pennies, one was a 57 with that wheat pattern in the back, and my favorite and best find so far, a 1940 quarter. I was about to give up on that signal, but persistance made it happen. The other coins I would pin point by grabbing chunks of dirt in my hand and passing them over the coil as I dug, the quarter just happened to be right there looking at me as I uncovered about 2 inches of dirt. I had a good time, my confidence level has been raised a little, and I know I'm hooked. I took a couple of pics, nothing has been cleaned. Comments welcome.

Attachments

• Nov5.JPG
    Nov5.JPG
    26 KB · Views: 425
  • 1940Quarter.JPG
    1940Quarter.JPG
    26.2 KB · Views: 421
Upvote 0

DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

"Your going Metal Detecting
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome and............

Attachments

• THUMBS UP.gif
    THUMBS UP.gif
    30.5 KB · Views: 408
  • THUMBS UP.gif
    THUMBS UP.gif
    30.5 KB · Views: 408

sparkymaster

Feb 21, 2005
South Ogden, UT
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX-XLT-M-6
Your confidence level should soar with a quarter like that this early in the game. Most people don't find em like that very often. Great finds!!! Great job!!!

texan connection

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minlabe SE, ace 250, fisher 1280x
Got that right only 1900 silver I have found was 2 war nickles (a rare find itself), Not complaining though,Its just funny what you pull out and from what time periode, I just wanna see MORE SILVER, gold would be nice also.

Night Stalker

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2004
Florida
Detector(s) used
Omega 8000 & Tesoro Cortes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome aboard! Finding silver already ;D! Thanks for sharing, those are some pretty good digs.

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
You are on the right track. Nice Silver Quarter. You know you are in a good spot when those pop up. With the "cheaper" detectors there are times when you don't want to use any or little discrimination but these occasions are not very often.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Mirage

Nashoba

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2006
Washington and Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace250/Prospecter Bounty hunter(Backup)
From one newb to another.....I'M JEALOUS!! Diggin silver already...sheesh. Great digs man. GO back and get some more!
~Nashoba~

OP
OP
Ricardo_NY1

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS/II & Garrett ACE 250
Thanks alot guy! Great comments. This is something I've always wanted to do, and wasn't sure if I could get results.......one major reason why I got myself an inexpensive detector. Right now I'm already thinking of a new machine and a pinpointer.

ZoSo71

Nov 5, 2006
Somewhere near Cleveland, Ohio
Detector(s) used
White's DFX / Modded BH Land Star
Nice Dig on the Silver....

I started out on a Big-Bud then a Landstar made my way up to DFX...

Keep hitting that area...Dimes should start to pop up...I always find the Dimes first..Then Quarters..

The Ground Balance on 1100 is kinda funny.. Make sure to do it properly.. I had the same Issue with my LandStar. Also swing speed @ 2.5 seconds per sweep is about the right pace..Check your manual to see if it mentions Swing Speed or Sweep Speed...

Good Find!

ZoSo71

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Nice start,

Getting silver on your first trips will hook ya quick.

HH Jer

Treasure-Diver

Feb 8, 2005
Houston, Tx
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE W/ SunRay X-1 Probe
BH Pioneer 505
Fisher Impulse UW Pulse Ind.
Fisher F2
Great start!! I have yet to find a silver quarter :-\ I have found a few silver dimes and wheat pennies. Wait till you hit your first ring. Those are really cool! Don't sell your BH 1100 short. It may not go as deep as the high dollar machines, but the BH's are sweet little machines! I have a BH 505 and it finds some great stuff. Welcome to the forum. You can't find a better bunch of people than this forum. They are great for advice and help. They sure can make you jealous though with the fantastic finds some of these guys and gals make. Happy Hunting and welcome to the addiction!

DigDugNY

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2006
New York
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 2, Fisher F75, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice way to start out ;)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions