rooms available, no waiting....

bravowhiskey

Bronze Member
May 29, 2009
Brazos Valley, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
....pretty much bird friendly environs here abouts. We feed 'em year round and there is plenty of cover available. Also bird eating critters are controlled as much as possible.

The following pics are all nests that are within a rocks throw of each other. All Cardinal nests.

DSC00594.jpg DSC00597.jpg

DSC00599.jpg DSC00602.jpg

and this last one show how precarious life is. Nest in a tiny bit of Yaupon low to the ground to help protect from aerial assault and probably not high enough to escape ground predation. But the Cardinals prevail and prosper.
this one was right next to the trail and I never noticed it all summer. They don't become obvious until winter time peels back the cover a bit.

DSC00596.jpg

none of these are over 4' above the ground. Typical for Cardinals.
Hope my little bird lore isn't too boring. Just enjoying the day.
Best to you and yours.

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wish we had Cardinals out here. We seen three Blue Jays for the first time about four years ago. I didn't see them this last year though.

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
I love seeing the cardinals & bluejays in the snow together, they are almost neon in all the white. Nice shots!

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
I grew up watching mom feed cardinals every year. We have dozens? hundreds? thousands? Well, seem to always be around. The last decade or so I am seeing a lot more bluejays. Beautiful birds. Wish we had more...

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I liked to see cardinals when I lived in WI and NY but we don't have any out here. We do have bluejays but they aren't quite as bright blue and the point on their heads isn't quite as distinct.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We have cardinals, bluejays, mockingbirds, brown house wrens, tiny black & white birds, doves, crows, hawks, and sparrows. In summer orioles pretty orange color, and humming bird brown one.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread