Routine Penny Signal Bangs 300 year old coin off Bucket List!!

Chestdiesel

Jul 26, 2014
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Days are unfortunately getting shorter. Showed up at a new spot today at 4 pm. This place looks like something out of a movie. Old trees etc. Anyways, second diggable signal of the day rang in at a steady 80 on the At Pro. I'm thinking its a copper penny all day, yet I notice it's at 6-8"? That coupled with the fact it's a new spot had me a little intrigued. I haven't been detecting very long, less than 2 years, but I've done pretty well. Been seriously dying to get my hands on some Colonial Silver. Never would have thought that it would have rang in the same as a copper penny, but stranger things have happened. Anyways, I dig the hole and out pops a 1721 Spanish 2 Reale! I was literally shaking, as lame as that may sound to some of you lol. What a beauty!! Unbelievable shape!! I'll let the pictures tell the rest. Thanks for looking, happy hunting, and don't ever be above digging that deep clad penny signal. Cheers.
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    834.2 KB · Views: 519
Last edited:
Upvote 64

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congratulations!!!! :occasion14:

screwynewy

May 10, 2011
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
Other
Awesome find. A surprise like that will keep you digging all signals for a long time. Sounds like you have a good spot and should spend a lot more time there.

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I'm sticking my kneck out here a little but......If it only rang up at 80' it's highly likely you have a contemporary counterfeit. NOW......THAT WOULD BE A GOOD THING! Contrary to what the "masses" on this site may say. My brother in law found a cft. 8 reale a couple years ago that we sold to a collector for $225. If it was NOT cft. the same coin would have sold for less than 1/2 of that. There are people that specifically collect the 2 real cft. Would like to see closeups of both sides. Looks as though it's very well made also. If it rang up at 80 instead of 90+, it's probably "alloyed" with some kind of "tinny" or copper type metal. Some good Counterfeiters were very sharp. For example......They would melt down 10 coins worth of silver and "alloy" that metal, into like 14-15 coins, making a tidy profit. Off the top of my head I cannot think of some of the metals they used, but I think Arsenic was used also. Would have to look it up.

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The really smooth.....shiny "blueish" sheen is the tell tail sign. If you have a silver quarter, drop that on a hard surface. Then drop the 2 real. You'll hear the difference in tone. Or just weigh it and compare to Regal examples. It's not hard to figure out.

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
Congratz! And what a beauty!

RJ55

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2014
western NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

NEPADIGGER7

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2013
Downtown Lehman
Detector(s) used
minelab safari,whites m6, AT Pro, Ace 250 and whites coin master, Garrett AT propointer (garrett carrot), Lesche hand digger, 5x8 & 8.5x11 DD coils for the Pro, Camera is Ion Air Pro 3
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
great find man! just goes to show dig every good repeatable signal!

streakert

Aug 1, 2013
central Maryland
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
Minelab CTX 3030,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
looks like a 2 Reales Spain Minted in Madrid king Phillip v the weight should be 6.7700g 0.0903 silver
STANDARD CATALOG OF WORLD COINS

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thats a good looking pistareen! I bet you were floating on air when that came out of the dirt :thumbsup:

If you want to learn a bit about pistareens and the American colonies, check out this PDF Pistareen info I dug a cut 2 real pistareen this spring and the information in that document was very interesting to me.

Also, my cut one had a ID of a brass style flat button. Those ID's have a lot to do with the size, shape, metal composition, ground mineralization, and depth. So if its an old site.... if it beeps... dig it! Don't trust what the IDs are telling you.

Rustic

Jul 10, 2015
western MA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Beautiful find! Congratulations. I know we diggers in western mass have some of the best hunting areas around and it's finds like yours that make me believe it even more. I hope to find a coin like that some day, Great coin.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
CJON455 dug one like that... I believe it was like that one.

Congrats on the colonial silver!

46Wheat

Silver Member
May 23, 2014
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Equinox 800 / 8.5x11 DD and 5x8 DD coil /
Garrett ProPointer / Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing coin ..... congrats

OP
OP
Chestdiesel

Chestdiesel

Jul 26, 2014
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Vino, I did post the other side, can you not see it?? Not positive it's a 2 Reale, but pretty sure? It's got the typical "II" right above the assayer's initial right of the shield? It's about the same size as a quarter...

Last edited:
OP
OP
Chestdiesel

Chestdiesel

Jul 26, 2014
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah, I'll definitely have to weigh it Hogge. The bluish sheen kinda washed off with just water, it looks more like blackish, tarnished silver now. From what I've read, the silver content on these is a little lower, and only just north of .8, that was why I thought it rang a little low. But 80 isn't uncommon for silver with the At Pro, I've dug barber dimes and seated dimes that low before too. But never anything this big, size wise. Interesting. I'll have to look into it more, but if I had to guess, I'd say this is the real McCoy, can't imagine other alloys holding up as good as silver in the ground for 300 years.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Chestdiesel

Chestdiesel

Jul 26, 2014
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome article Outdoor Adv!! Thanks for posting. There was one really good nugget I took away from the article, and that's how thin these things are. When I first saw the rim in the hole, I was thinking some worn down copper possibly, I couldn't believe how much detail there was on such a thin coin. Thought it was gonna be rubbed down to nothing. Anyways, thanks again, and happy hunting.

IAMZIM

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2011
Butte City, Montana
Detector(s) used
ace 250/garret pinpointer, garret AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Days are unfortunately getting shorter. Showed up at a new spot today at 4 pm. This place looks like something out of a movie. Old trees etc. Anyways, second diggable signal of the day rang in at a steady 80 on the At Pro. I'm thinking its a copper penny all day, yet I notice it's at 6-8"? That coupled with the fact it's a new spot had me a little intrigued. I haven't been detecting very long, less than 2 years, but I've done pretty well. Been seriously dying to get my hands on some Colonial Silver. Never would have thought that it would have rang in the same as a copper penny, but stranger things have happened. Anyways, I dig the hole and out pops a 1721 Spanish 2 Reale! I was literally shaking, as lame as that may sound to some of you lol. What a beauty!! Unbelievable shape!! I'll let the pictures tell the rest. Thanks for looking, happy hunting, and don't ever be above digging that deep clad penny signal. Cheers.
View attachment 1225478 View attachment 1225479 View attachment 1225480
I don't see how you can think shaking from a find like that can be lame! I would be ECSTATIC if I found ANYTHING from the 1700s!!! Awesome find buddy!

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd say this is the real McCoy, can't imagine other alloys holding up as good as silver in the ground for 300 years

That would be my conclusion as well. Ignore the self-proclaimed coin "expert" here and enjoy your find.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm certainly a fan of those, and crossed mine off the list, but just the one. (So I am due) :)

Even places of equal age they seemed to circulate more in some places than others so you may dig your 2nd before I get mine.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread