Routine Penny Signal Bangs 300 year old coin off Bucket List!!

Chestdiesel

Jul 26, 2014
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Days are unfortunately getting shorter. Showed up at a new spot today at 4 pm. This place looks like something out of a movie. Old trees etc. Anyways, second diggable signal of the day rang in at a steady 80 on the At Pro. I'm thinking its a copper penny all day, yet I notice it's at 6-8"? That coupled with the fact it's a new spot had me a little intrigued. I haven't been detecting very long, less than 2 years, but I've done pretty well. Been seriously dying to get my hands on some Colonial Silver. Never would have thought that it would have rang in the same as a copper penny, but stranger things have happened. Anyways, I dig the hole and out pops a 1721 Spanish 2 Reale! I was literally shaking, as lame as that may sound to some of you lol. What a beauty!! Unbelievable shape!! I'll let the pictures tell the rest. Thanks for looking, happy hunting, and don't ever be above digging that deep clad penny signal. Cheers.
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    834.2 KB · Views: 519
Last edited:
Upvote 64
OP
OP
Chestdiesel

Chestdiesel

Jul 26, 2014
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah, I mean I appreciate all input. I'm definitely no expert, and am fairly new to the hobby. From what I've read though, and holding this thing, it screams of being the real deal. Pictures don't do it justice. This thing is crisp and definitely has a high silver content. Beautiful coin!!

OP
OP
Chestdiesel

Chestdiesel

Jul 26, 2014
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
image.jpg
Yeah, they're definitely prevailant in this area for sure Iron Patch. All the way up into Vermont. This was the edge of the frontier at one point. My other buddy has found two this year in this area. Both cut half Reales though. Here's the one he found 2 weeks ago.

Last edited:

CoilFisher

Jul 17, 2011
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Oh man, you are lucky!
Now everything else is easy.
Nice one!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, they're definitely prevailant in this area for sure Iron Patch. All the way up into Vermont. This was the edge of the frontier at one point. My other buddy has found two this year in this area. Both cut half Reales though. Here's the one he found 2 weeks ago.

That's a nice cob. I have quite a few of those but only the one 2 reales pistareen. I'm guessing a cob isn't too far around the corner for you, but this can be a funny hobby what comes out and what can be stubborn. I crossed a lot off my list early on and it seemed easy, but has only grown tougher since then.

OP
OP
Chestdiesel

Chestdiesel

Jul 26, 2014
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah, well they're definitely not putting anymore in the ground, that's for sure. Lol. I'm over the moon with this sucker though. Gonna definitely help me through a long agonizing winter for sure.

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, I'll definitely have to weigh it Hogge. The bluish sheen kinda washed off with just water, it looks more like blackish, tarnished silver now. From what I've read, the silver count on these is a little lower, and only just north of .8, that was why I thought it rang a little low. But 80 isn't uncommon for silver with the At Pro, I've dug barber dimes and seated dimes that low before too. But never anything this big size wise. Interesting. I'll have to look more into it, but if I had to guess, I'd say this is the real McCoy, can't imagine other alloys holding up as good as silver in the ground for 300 years.
Kool....Makes sense

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Vino, I did post the other side, can you not see it?? Not positive it's a 2 Reale, but pretty sure? It's got the typical "II" right above the assayers name right of the shield? It's about the same size as a quarter...

I didn't see the othe side pic..
Yes definitely a 2reale.
Congrats, and the ring up lower then normal because so thin, and like you said, lower silver count.
Its the real deal. And a great example of one at that..
Way to go Chestdiesel!!!!

OP
OP
Chestdiesel

Chestdiesel

Jul 26, 2014
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I didn't see the othe side pic..
Yes definitely a 2reale.
Congrats, and the ring up lower then normal because so thin, and like you said, lower silver count.
Its the real deal. And a great example of one at that..
Way to go Chestdiesel!!!!
Thanks brother!! That means a lot coming from such a legend as yourself!! Cheers.

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're being modest bro!! I've seen some of the stuff you've ripped!! And I'm a big fan!!

well I dont have a Pistareen. .
Seen one dug right in front of me at my site with my detector though!!! Lol. You know that HURT..

RelicMedic

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab pro find 35

Minelab Equinox 600

Minelab Excalibur II

Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gorgeous! !!!!!!

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great find !!!!

You sure got a beauty there!...and go Patriots!:laughing7:

OP
OP
Chestdiesel

Chestdiesel

Jul 26, 2014
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
well I dont have a Pistareen. .
Seen one dug right in front of me at my site with my detector though!!! Lol. You know that HURT..
Ouch!! Lol. Been there brother!! My partner bought an E Trac this year, and believe me, I've had many of those moments. Maybe not that bad though. Lol

doninbrewster

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2013
New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great find! I've seen a number of different replies about what you have and I'll add my 2 cents which will agree with some and disagree with others. 2 reales from the early 1700's are generally called pistareens. This is because they have a lower and variable silver content than the later ones from the 1700's. It could be the reason you got the signal you did. It could also be a contemporary counterfeit and as I believe Hogge already said, could make it quite a bit more valuable. An example of this is the value of a regal George III halfpence and a counterfeit from Machin's Mills. The counterfeit is worth multiples of the real ones. I'm not saying it's a contemporary counterfeit, but it could be. Bottom line, it appears to be a genuine, circulating silver coin from the early 1700's and a superb find. I've found two 2 reales from the 1780's and my avatar is one of them, but never a pistareen. I'm voting banner!

OP
OP
Chestdiesel

Chestdiesel

Jul 26, 2014
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great find! I've seen a number of different replies about what you have and I'll add my 2 cents which will agree with some and disagree with others. 2 reales from the early 1700's are generally called pistareens. This is because they have a lower and variable silver content than the later ones from the 1700's. It could be the reason you got the signal you did. It could also be a contemporary counterfeit and as I believe Hogge already said, could make it quite a bit more valuable. An example of this is the value of a regal George III halfpence and a counterfeit from Machin's Mills. The counterfeit is worth multiples of the real ones. I'm not saying it's a contemporary counterfeit, but it could be. Bottom line, it appears to be a genuine, circulating silver coin from the early 1700's and a superb find. I've found two 2 reales from the 1780's and my avatar is one of them, but never a pistareen. I'm voting banner!
Thanks for your input brother, I appreciate it. As well as the banner vote. Haven't been able to land a banner yet lol. Thought my 1786 state copper coin spill all but had it, but I guess not lol. I'm definitely gonna look deeper into the counterfeit possibility, just have to procure a scale, mine unfortunately broke. But again, I'd be really surprised. Everything about this coin screams authentic to me. But you never know? Anyways, thanks again my man. Cheers.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread