Royal Artillery Cross Belt Plate!!!!! BETTER PICTURE!!!

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a day! Never in my life did I think I would ever dig one of these. I always wanted to find a belt plate but never thought I would find a marked belt plate! It is an officer's Royal Artillery cross belt plate from 1790-1810 era. It is bent but the detail is amazing. The picture does not do it justice. There are the three cannons of the Royal Artillery within a shield in the centre. At the top it is marked "Second Batt" with a flaming cannon ball between the wording. On the bottom it is marked "Royal Artillery". There is even some gilt left on the edge design!

This was found on a site that we just got permission for today. We knew right away that we were on a site from the iron, glass and pottery. I managed a couple toe taps and a Speed the Plough token and Iron Patch found a few interesting things when I got a great signal...nice and shallow. I flipped the soil and there it was. I called Iron Patch and told him that I just found a belt plate! I actually did not know that it was at that time but knew that the shape was correct. I handed it to Iron Patch and he immediately saw the cannons in the center and proclaimed it a Royal Artillery belt plate!

I was thrilled to say the least! I am told by an expert in the field that it is quite a rare find. This is by far my favorite find to date...one I will never part with. I am going to try to research the site and try to determine who may have lost it...should be fun.

It is very difficult to photograph this thing due to the patina and the bend.

Attachments

• plate.JPG
    plate.JPG
    155.6 KB · Views: 7,111
Upvote 0

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Unbelievable Relic Find...I'll never be able to top this!!!!! BETTER PICTURE!!!

Lay it between two pieces of iron and belt it with a 14lb hammer :D :D :D great find and BIG congrats on the banner :thumbsup:

tseekerMike

Apr 20, 2009
St.Petersburg, Florida
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Minelab Sovereign GT, Fisher CZ21-8" coil
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Re: Unbelievable Relic Find...I'll never be able to top this!!!!! BETTER PICTURE!!!

Congratulations on such a beautiful find!

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS

romeo-1 said:
Zeus, yesterday I found Spanish and French colonial silver and I can't even get excited about those two due to the belt plate...it's ruined me. LOL.

Oh to be ruined in such a way! :D Super find! Congratulations on a BANNER find of a life time. :thumbsup:

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
Re: Unbelievable Relic Find...I'll never be able to top this!!!!!

romeo-1 said:
HomesteadHunter said:
Romeo, I just had to post my sincere congrats to you on both forums. That is without doubt one of the best finds anybody could ever make. What are your plans for restoration and care?. And by the way........banner.......all the way.

James.
HomesteadHunter

I was thinking about having it straightened but I am terrified that it would be returned to me in two pieces...
I don't think it should break the bend looks to me(I'm not a expert) as a clean bend an I beilve they use heat to soften the metal to re bend it into shape... I do understand your fears but i would check into the best person to restore this an get a price quote an see if they guarntee there work an have insurance... then think about doing it....

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Re: Unbelievable Relic Find...I'll never be able to top this!!!!! BETTER PICTURE

romeo-1 said:
Don in SJ said:
romeo-1 said:
Bump for a better picture...very hard to photograph...

Romeo, I think that photograph is as good as your are going to get it, hope to see it up top soon. :thumbsup: There are ways of straightening that plate, you might ask around if you have already not done so.

Don

I would love to have it straightened but I am just too paranoid that it will be broken...maybe after the initial high of finding it wears off I'll look into it. What I would really like is to clean it without affecting the patina...
Someone has to know the right combination of heat,pressure to get that baby back into shape without ruining the patina.......Absolutely Beautiful Piece.....Congrat's and the Best of Luck :thumbsup:

OP
OP
romeo-1

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Unbelievable Relic Find...I'll never be able to top this!!!!! BETTER PICTURE

Still trying to get a better pic...

Attachments

• RA Plate 002.jpg
    RA Plate 002.jpg
    174.5 KB · Views: 4,940
  • RA Plate 009.jpg
    RA Plate 009.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 4,911

HCW

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2007
Metro west ,Boston
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Whites MXT "retired"

ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL ! Dont straighten it . Who knows, it may have been bent in battle and that just adds to the story .

stillgottawork

Jun 6, 2008
New York
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT , Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That's what makes this hobby fun.......................... :thumbsup:

Congratulations on making the banner......................... :thumbsup:

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other

The bend in it looks like recent plow damage......NGE

goldnow

Apr 10, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero

Magnificent find, to say the least..

May I be the bad boy here, and ask the dirty question? What is its value?

Wasabi

Nov 7, 2005
Brevard County, FL ~ USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalinbur II,White's Beach Hunter ID 300, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Fisher F75, Tesoro Golden UMax, Whites 4900/D, Bounty Hunter IV, Bounty Hunter Big Bud
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

For being that old other than being bent up a bit, that looks like a great find!
Congratulations!

Baggins

Bronze Member
Jan 2, 2007
TEXAS
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV / Garrett Ace 250/Minelab X-Terra 70

What a flippin' great find!!
WTG!
Baggins

The Seeker

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2005
Keep on Digging!
Detector(s) used
MINELAB Explorer-II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That is a supurb find......it doesn't get any better than that! Its a shame that its was bent , from the looks of that bent mark it had to happen recently, either by plow or something else..........Identifying that piece will be all the fun, who had it? if there was a camp there? It will be a nice challenge.....Congrats!!!! :o

OP
OP
romeo-1

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

goldnow said:
Magnificent find, to say the least..

May I be the bad boy here, and ask the dirty question? What is its value?

Honestly, I have no idea...

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Cloud 9 for sure ! Congratulations on your Banner find . :icon_study:
TnMountains

A

archaeon

just jaw dropping! Astounding! i love Brit relics left over here, very cool! IT LOOKS TO ME THAT IT COULD HAVE BEEN BENT BY A CALVARY SWORD.. that belt would have been in the mid chest area right?

OP
OP
romeo-1

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

archaeon said:
just jaw dropping! Astounding! i love Brit relics left over here, very cool! IT LOOKS TO ME THAT IT COULD HAVE BEEN BENT BY A CALVARY SWORD.. that belt would have been in the mid chest area right?

Unfortunately it was found in a working crop field so the bend is most likely plough damage...but i like your theory better!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Congrat's on the awesome find, and Banner :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread