May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Story, and weather report dispenced.

I got what I think is a Royal Provincial Rev. war button, my first ever pewter military, so pretty happy with that.

I was just saying how I haven't found silver in a month, and I get this what I'd call pretty cool spoon, it's a first ever complete spoon, even though it is all bent to poo. Got marks a "snowflake" between H + I, and a Sailing Ship on the bowl. I like this, would like to straighten it out, but afraid to break it. I'll clean up the button some more too.

Definitely one of my better days.

Attachments

• find13-31a.JPG
    find13-31a.JPG
    44 KB · Views: 129
  • find13-31b.JPG
    find13-31b.JPG
    44.4 KB · Views: 129
  • find13-31c.JPG
    find13-31c.JPG
    34.6 KB · Views: 126
  • find13-31d.JPG
    find13-31d.JPG
    41.6 KB · Views: 130
  • find13-31e.JPG
    find13-31e.JPG
    32.8 KB · Views: 129
Upvote 5

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Outstanding hunt Rick...that RP button is a rare bird in our part of the country. I'm still looking for a decent one. I did manage a scrap of one early in my detecting career but just barely recognizable as an RP.

Silver spoon is pretty nice too. I would consider having that restored.

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
excellent finds. love the button and the spoon is awesome

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just took a look at the first picture of the spoon and I'll bet you could straighten that yourself. If you want to throw caution to the wind let me take a shot at straightening it...I'm pretty sure I could get it pretty close to original without damaging the piece. I straightened a silver spoon of my own a few years back that had much more severe bends...

OP
OP
Rick (Nova Scotia)

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just took a look at the first picture of the spoon and I'll bet you could straighten that yourself. If you want to throw caution to the wind let me take a shot at straightening it...I'm pretty sure I could get it pretty close to original without damaging the piece. I straightened a silver spoon of my own a few years back that had much more severe bends...

Sure I'll let you have a go at it, it's not that much to loose anyway. And THANKS.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the spoon is circa 1790s, very nice piece. Worth having a pro straighten it, shouldn't cost too much.

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
The RP button is about as nice as they come from the ground, edge loss is quite common, you still have lots of roundness to yours lol

But that spoon is awesome! I would be having that one straightened out, as Romeo said, it does look like it would bend back into shape ok, there must be some tricks out there to not put too much stress on the bends that might cause them to crack

very nice finds!

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I retract my offer to straighten your spoon...I would not want that on my conscience if I broke it.

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wonderful old spoon , I agree with Crusader , that a professional silversmith can reliably do this for not much expense ! That's a rare
old find .

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the REV War RP...i see more in your future...just be warned if not treated it will crumble into dust eventually....Just ask Iron Patch...

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the spoon is circa 1790s, very nice piece. Worth having a pro straighten it, shouldn't cost too much.

I'd be real careful with that spoon, I too would have a pro take a look at it.
That could be a very special find.
Kudos!
Carl

Jeff H

Bronze Member
May 5, 2008
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Great finds! That spoon "way cool " and then some.

The Rebel

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2011
Southwest, CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Spectra V3i with wireless headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome Finds! That spoon is fantastic!

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
35k.gif Spoon is awesome

GioTheGreek

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2009
Hades
Detector(s) used
XP DÉUS, Minelab E-TRAC, Pro-Pointer, Hawk-like Vision, Receding Hairline
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
WTG, Rick! Keep 'em coming! Nice score on the Royal Provincials button.

There's a ton of detail on that spoon. I love it. :notworthy:

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Closest variant I see is on pg. 169 of Troiani's, Insignia of Independence. What is confusing me is that they say 1 piece copper, guilded officers. The slight variant of...LRP.f..... which is what I think you have, was found near Haldimand, which would make sense. I would send a pic to Don Troiani and see what he thinks. I'm sure he would like to see it anyways. From the pics it does look like copper and not pewter. Maybe it is pewter and you found a new variant?? These, from what I have read, seem to be quite rare. Great Find!! Hogge

OP
OP
Rick (Nova Scotia)

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Closest variant I see is on pg. 169 of Troiani's, Insignia of Independence. What is confusing me is that they say 1 piece copper, guilded officers. The slight variant of...LRP.f..... which is what I think you have, was found near Haldimand, which would make sense. I would send a pic to Don Troiani and see what he thinks. I'm sure he would like to see it anyways. From the pics it does look like copper and not pewter. Maybe it is pewter and you found a new variant?? These, from what I have read, seem to be quite rare. Great Find!! Hogge

Thanks for the insight, and education on this HOGGE, but is definitely a pewter button.
I don't know this guy so wouldn't be able to "send him a picture". I'll add a picture of the back to convince you.

Attachments

• IMG_0535.JPG
    IMG_0535.JPG
    47.3 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Thanks for the insight, and education on this HOGGE, but is definitely a pewter button.
I don't know this guy so wouldn't be able to "send him a picture". I'll add a picture of the back to convince you.

I'm pretty sure Trioni has seen lots of pictures of the pewter examples, and they do have varieties of the letter size and shape and the shape of the crown also varies

I would be interested to personally see a copper or brass variant, I've seen many and they're all pewter so far , if you really want to get another perspective , contact Iron Patch, he knows them really well also

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Rick, I just got to a Timmies on the Rock with WiFi and logged in to see that you have scored big time. The button is really something else but that spoon rocks. That beats my crusty silver all to heck.:notworthy: I would say that it easily goes back the the 18tyh Century and really should be repaired professionaly.
I hope I can get in a hunt tomorrow but time is tight here so we will see. My mother inlaw showed me a Newfoundland fish scale she has so now I have a quest, find a Newfy fish scale.
Anyway buddy, keep up the good work well I am out of town and save me some goodies.:laughing7:
ZDD

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread