billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Over the weekend we went to more garage sales. The early stop at one of the closest to home yielded a lot of consumable items like aerosol cans of engine grease remover for .50-cents a can, nine sealed 8oz bottles of 2-cyl. oil mix-all for $1, 50ft. extension cords for $1.50, a NEW 12-set of carbide China made router bits for $3, assorted Locks, and a unique find. For $5, I bought a Russian submarine clock with two original keys, 8-day wind, and a moving second hand.

There are many types, but the shipping is the Killer: Here's the exact match:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/291371543565?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

For the remainder of two days of garage sales, for $14 we bought/found 45.5 grams of Sterling and 4/10 of a gram of gold in a single 14kt hoop earring. About $30 currently in PM value, but not counting the resale of the extra costume jewelry that came along with the baggies...

Bill

Last edited:

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

mcb66

Mar 17, 2009
They used to sell those clocks in the Sportmans Guide. I bought one in the early to mid 1990's. I think I paid about $40.00. Around the time of the fall of the Soviet Union a bunch of these along with pocket watches turned up.

OP
OP
billjustbill

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They used to sell those clocks in the Sportmans Guide. I bought one in the early to mid 1990's. I think I paid about $40.00. Around the time of the fall of the Soviet Union a bunch of these along with pocket watches turned up.

The seller said her son had given this clock to his dad sometime in the 1990's.... It came with a gray molded plastic back plate with three slotted studs that twist-lock into the clock's aluminum case to make wall hanging easy. She said it was wound tight but wouldn't run. When I got it back home I found the simple problem. I noticed the trailing edge of the clock's minute hand was a bit scratched-up. Apparently, someone had bent the sweep second hand down just enough on its outward end that sometimes it cleared and sometimes it stopped when it hit the trailing edge of the minuet hand. Once the "5 jumps per second" second hand was straighten to clear the minute hand, it's been running since.

Bill

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions