Rusty "nail" saves a wasted day

qaela4

Bronze Member
Jul 24, 2014
Keene, New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quick Silver,Tesoro Silver Sabre uMax.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Checked out an old "turnpike" from the 1840's and was getting nothing but beer cans and pull tabs. The road has been closed for many years, too bad they had paved it with at least three layers prior to closing it. Got some real high beeps under the pavement...lol. So I spent my time on the sides and runoff gullies hoping something got pulled out. Ended up going down the bank toward the creek and after several pull tabs and beer cans I though I had a nail. The only part I could see was the axle sticking up with knobby head just like a nail. When I pulled it out it was flat together and looked like part of a fence or railing piece, then I noticed the cab. I know it ain't much and even less to look at but this little bit of "rusty gold" made my day as it turned out to be the only thing I found. Truck1.JPG Truck2.JPG Truck3.JPG

Upvote 10

Sawyer

Jan 25, 2013
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab Exterra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That old truck probably brought many happy hours to some boy long ago! It might very well have been his most prized possession and made him the envy of others! Now you can have those happy hours and be the envy of others like me who never find anything!

46Wheat

Silver Member
May 23, 2014
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Equinox 800 / 8.5x11 DD and 5x8 DD coil /
Garrett ProPointer / Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a job for Ricks Restorations in Vegas... seriously there have been days when I would have loved to dig something as cool as that

OP
OP
Q

qaela4

Bronze Member
Jul 24, 2014
Keene, New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quick Silver,Tesoro Silver Sabre uMax.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've seen Rick do some amazing things but this may be too much even for him...lol.

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
UH oh, better get maco neat old find .vanzutphen

PeteWmass

Nov 26, 2012
South Hadley
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hmm - beer cans - are you finding a TON of them alongside the old road (?)- I may have to head up that way (you can clean even totally brown rusted ones with oxalic acid - for those who don't know - might work with your truck - takes off surface rust - leaving hidden paint beneath....)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread