RV info needed.

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Somewhere directly above the center of the Earth.
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey wanting to pull up stakes and take our interests mobile. We have been doing a lot of reading on rv forums, but I figured as in hunting treasure is our lifestyle, why not ask fellow treasure hunters about their RVing choices. We can't decide between motorhome or truck/5th wheel. I feel the truck combo is more agile since can just drop trailer and go. wifey argues the motorhome can tow the truck.
I'm really looking for the pros/con's of the two ways of doing this.
I appreciate any opinions or thoughts y'all may have.

Mike

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if its just two of ya the toyota motorhomes are great

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Darn Mike... being as tall as you are probably ANYTHING is gonna seem small. Motorhome or a large truck / 5th wheel is gonna burn a LOT OF FUEL to stay mobile. New, Used or what?

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
The biggest mistake is getting the wrong thing.
Basicly, Trailers are for Long stays at campgrounds. Lots of hookup/unhookup,leveling, backing up with a trailer involved.
Motorhomes are for travelers. you don't have to keep going back to pick up the trailer. You are completely self contained, that is no hookups are required for weeks at a time. You don't have to pay to spend overnites at campgrounds, you can stop at rest areas and wallmart lots or Flying J stops or Loves stops. You can change your destination at any time without worrying about reservations. If you get a small one ( like mine) you don't need a car. They have everything you need-bathroom withshower, kitchen with microwave/convection, cook top stove, coffee maker, toaster oven, refrigerator that works on 110vac or lp gas-automatis switchover, generator, roof air, TV with DVD player. Hay, the queen cabover bed is comfortable, etc . They drive like a car, that is comfortably. You can get options like diesel,automatic transmission, 4 wheel drive, cruise control, tilt wheel, Bose sound systom. adjustable pedals, air bag suspension with compressor, etc.
Mine has a complete aluminum frame and floor plus a one piece fiber glass exterior and that 305 HP diesel in a 22' length. I can get it serviced at jest about any dodge or ram dealer.
I admit it only gets 14 MPH, BUT I have no motel or campground expense, so I come out ahead.

Yes, I have all the options described above on mine. I use to tow a dune buggy, but found I don't need it.
Frank...- five star.png
It's an Xplorer, Xcursion This one is an 04' that I ordered new. The company has changed hands, but I think it is still made.

300MH.jpg In the woods in PA

MN  Stanton Az 04.jpg In the desert near Stanton AZ

PS: Hay, you could join GPAA and camp on any of there thousands of claims all over the USA. I have stayed on some.

Last edited:

gusser

Dec 23, 2013
Central Penna
Detector(s) used
copper dowsing rod and a smaller 1 for a pinpointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I chose Motor Home-----I can camp at the lake and still pull my boat. On vacations not at a lake, I can tow the car or take the 4 wheelers. Good Luck

OP
OP
BC1969

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Somewhere directly above the center of the Earth.
Primary Interest:
Other
Thank you frank for the info, after reading that to wife, we are going that route, motorhome and tow a truck for our detecting/exploring needs. now have to explain that we don't need a rolling 5 star hotel lol, the one you pictured seems enough to live in to me.
thanks again.

Mike

Seabees

Jan 3, 2014
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
-Whites & Minelab-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What's also nice about the RV is if the wife is tired or not filling good she can go and lay down on the bed in the back vs sitting up right in a truck or with the seat tilt back.

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
BH Lone Star, BH Tracker IV, BH Tracker 2-D/707, Harbor Freight MD-3005, and 2 BH 840
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah, I believe the motorhome would be the way to go. When I started planning to leave Texas and move to Idaho, I looked at just about everything around the Central Texas area. I looked at a lot of ones I couldn't afford and lot that I could afford. I settled on one that a friend/business acquaintance had bought from a well known local talk show host. It was an old 1983 Fleetwood Pace Arrow, 31 feet long, and seemed to be in excellent shape, I thought. It had an almost new 'fridge that ran on AC, DC, or propane. The friend bought it in about 1999. I bought it in 2006. I found that it had leaked in one spot enough that there was some structural damage. When I confronted the friend with the facts, he refunded half what I had paid him. I repaired the damage and spent several days cleaning because it had been used for a job in south Texas. Five men had lived in if for over 2 weeks and it was really filthy. Anyway, I spent quite a chunk of money and a lot of labor on it before leaving in 2007. I replace the radiator, belts, hoses, alternator, starter, water pump, and thermostat. It has a 100 gallon gasoline tank. And needs it! Only gets about 6 mpg maximum.

Main thing is, my son and I left and drove from Waco, Texas, to Hobbs, NM, on our first day. We parked in an RV park overnight. We didn't have to go out to find a place to eat, nor a place to sleep. We drove the next day almost to the NM border and spent the night in another RV park. After about 2 hours driving the next morning, it began snowing hard enough that we stopped at a little RV park/restaurant for the rest of the day and that night. We 'ate out' for dinner that evening in the restaurant. From there we stayed on parking lots at night for the rest of the trip. It has a 6.5kw Onan generator that takes the place of an AC plug-in. We weren't in a hurry, saved a lot of money on eats and places to sleep. The fuel took most of what we saved; but it was so much fun being so independent. After arriving in Idaho, we rented a spot in an RV park for several months. We then, went back to Texas for 2 months to sell the home place. Then we drove back to Idaho. We took different routes on each trip.

Yeah, I firmly believe you'd be much happier in a motorhome than a travel trailer. If the one I have was a little more economical on fuel, I would probably use it a lot. It has a big ol' 454 GM engine and 3 speed auto. Although the exhaust has been modified, it just won't get enough mpg to make it worth driving at today's fuel prices.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
There are several things to look out for when checking out motor homes.
A fiberglass roof is best. A rubber roof is worst.
Always look for leaks in the roof, push up on the ceiling panels. They should not have a lot of flex.

Look at the milage. Most MH's have low milage. Check the exhaust for blue smoke. Lsten to the engine run. look at the oil on the dipstick.

Try everything!!!! Refrig, heater, air condition, hot water heater, cook top, microwave, TV, fill the water tank and taste the water (FROM THE TANK) it can be hooked up to just supply water from a hose.

Diesel is best. higher milage and the torque you need on hills. My Diesel has 305HP. It will go over 80 mph, but I cruise at 65/70 MPH MOST OF THE TIME ON INTERSTATES. Since the base is a Ram 3500 beefed up to 12k# I can get service at most dodge/Ram dealers.

The seals shrink around windows and compartments. Just reseat them and fill the gap with black RTV (silicone) sealer.

Try out the layout. I got a booth setup. It converts to a bed in a pinch and you can eat there and use it as a work table. A nice bed is a great asset. Mine is a full queen.

The biggest problem accessories, of which I opted out on, are the roll out arming, and the slideouts.
They both breakdown at the wrong time and strand you.

NOW for the most overlooked thing. DRIVE it on the road and thru the city. If your heart flutters to much, look at something smaller. The biggest mistake is getting a castle instead of a motel size.

Hay, I started with a Grayhound conversion. Dropped down to an 18' Cruisemaster, then a 25' Scotty MH. (lost this in a fire when My home burned) My 22' turned out to be ideal.
The scotty and the Xplorer were both ordered with a diesel and 4 wheel drive. That 4 wheel drive saved my ass in both vehicles since I have driven down mild Jeep trails to prospect in AZ. and thru the wooded trails in the PA parks.

Just my thoughts, Frank...- View attachment 1046357

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions