Rx Bottles for storage...

mfleming98

Greenie
Jan 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm beginning to keep alot of coins for long term storage in my collection. I've tried to do my own research online about using the orange Rx bottles that we're all familiar with, but I'm getting mixed opinions on the matter. Some say yes and others say no. And I can't find out for sure that the bottles contain PVC or not. Does anyone know if these bottles are safe to use or not for long term storage? Any advice would be great.

Upvote 0

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PVC will definately ruin any coin worth keeping... I suggest, though could be expensive if you use a lot, cardboard 2x2 coin holders, they are non PVC, and all you have to do is fold them over the coin and staple shut, you can find them at coin stores, or on the internet, usually for around 5c a piece.

I hope this helps, this is what I use!

:icon_sunny:

Lyfeguard

Jan 19, 2012
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Try a local coin shop. My local coin shop sells round tubes, square tubes, 2x2's and more. It's all really inexpensive, .25 to .50 for tubes .05 for 2x2's, unless your needing to store 100's or 1000's of coins. In that case just get bags. I use the square tubes because they wont tip over or roll around, 2x2's for the nice stuff.

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
Agreed, just get cheap coin tubes, PVC free without a doubt. I use them for my bulk silver, and use cardboard 2x2s for nicer coins and proofs. I use mylar flips for my medieval/ancient coins or for foreign coins that don't fit well in 2x2s.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
Lyfeguard said:
Try a local coin shop. My local coin shop sells round tubes, square tubes, 2x2's and more. It's all really inexpensive, .25 to .50 for tubes .05 for 2x2's, unless your needing to store 100's or 1000's of coins. In that case just get bags. I use the square tubes because they wont tip over or roll around, 2x2's for the nice stuff.

If you need to store a large amount,order here:

http://www.joelscoins.com/supplies1.htm#supersafe

5000 holders for 0.03 a piece.

danya

Feb 25, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
sagittarius98 said:
Lyfeguard said:

Haha lol Adam, using Joelscoins. I see you using websites I introduced you to. (Emile Heskey tone)

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
danya said:
sagittarius98 said:
Lyfeguard said:

(Emile Heskey tone)

Is Marchas posting? He would know who Emile Heskey is.

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I too do not know if the pill bottles contain PVC or not, but the posts before me have offered some excellent options for coin storage, not really much for me to expand upon. So, for my suggestion, build a big vault like Scrooge McDuck so you too can swim through your soon to be vast hoard of precious metals. You'll never forget that first dive in, I guarantee....ayup. :thumbsup:

:laughing9: :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread