ryedale

phrostie

Dec 3, 2008
Nap Town
hey all, my wife had intended on getting me a white's metal detector as a birthday / xmas gift. I told her it was too expensive, and that for slightly less we could get a ryedale.

Since I've never really cared much for pennies, I'd like some feedback on the ryedale. How much you go through, what your normal operations are, how soon can you turn profitable, etc. If you'd rather not post I understand, pms are fine.

hh all

~phrostie

Upvote 0

blkcwbyhat

Dec 3, 2010
in my humble opinion...since you can't LEGALLY melt the pennies,why bother? I'm not a coin collector,I just want the silver.I'd melt down everything if I could!

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the metal detector might be a better investment, the Ace 250 is about as much. Also, metal detecting nets you coins and stuff that can't be got by crh'ing. Much better stats, I found 8 silver dimes out of 104 total last year, most of them mercs.

HH
-GC

TxTim

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2007
Texas
Detector(s) used
DFX & SE
Get the Ryedale (Apprentice).
It will pay for itself in a few weeks. It is also addicting.
You can use the Ryedale when the snow is deep and at night when your detector is idle.
You can sell enough old copper pennies to pay for Ryedale and a nice, new detector in no time.
If you don't like it you can sell it for almost what you paid for it.
The realcent forum is where the penny freaks are.

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
Phrostie-

Nice to see you post. I haven't seen you post recently, and enjoy reading your threads and replies. I even started a thread a week or so ago asking if anyone knew why you hadn't posted for a while.

Glad your back! Enjoy the Ryedale!!!

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
As someone who owns both, let me tell you. It is not even close. Get the Ryedale.

As one poster said (that said to get the MD) he found 8 silver coins last YEAR. YOu can find more than 8 wheat cents every THIRTY MINUTES with the Rtyedale as an AVERAGE. And lots of copper coins. I figured once that COUNTING the time of going to the bank for pick ups AND time spent on dumps, I could completley cycle through about four boxes an hour with the ryedale. At 17% copper, that $17.00 per hour of copper that CAN be sold at $27 on ebay. That's $10 per hour profit with the Ryedale. AFTER counting the time buying and dumping. Not many can say that with the MD; not without finding some spectatular find. WIth the Ryedale, it is repeatable over and over again.

So you can't melt the pennies down. So what. We on this board don't normally melt our silver we find, do we? We either keep it or we sell it. You can do the same with the copper cents. Keep them or sell them. They DO sell. You can get about 1.6 cents per penny right now. Doesn't sound like a lot, but when you compare that to getting "eight silver dimes' in a YEAR? Come on! And I use him as an example becuase out here I get LESS than eight silver dimes a year with the MD. lolol. I consider him SUCCESSFUL, and he got 8 in a year.

I worked the Ryedale fairly hard the first year. 2009. I found approximatly 128,000 copper pennies. Can't melt them. But sold a BUNCH of them. (Not even half though). Sell $500.00 for $1,250 and you've done well. Paid for the machine twice over and that does NOT include the wheats or the indian heads found that are worth MORE. At today's copper penny rates, sell them at $800 for $500 worth (1.6 cents per penny) and you've still done better than selling eight silver coins at 20 times face value. And again that does NOT include the 2,039 WHEATS I Found in 2009. Or the few Indian Heads (rare, but you WILL find some) Those I've never sold. Just like I've never sold my silver dimes or quarters while CRH. BUt I know I have "made more" on the ryedale than on the FOUR MD machines I've had over the years. And faster too.

Now for one other thing though. It is not about the money. It is about what you LIKE. If you like using the MD more, than buy it anyway. If you like the Ryedale more, then buy it. I Play golf, and it NEVER brings me silver OR copper. Just COSTS me EVERY time I go. yet I do it, because I like it. SO take that into consideration also. Bottom line - I have found that since buying my ryedale in September 2008, my MD has gotten LITTLE use. I rather use the ryedale or search those fruitless halves out here. That's me. the answer is YOUR desires. But if you want an economical answer, the Ryedale wins by a LONG shot. :-)

John

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jrf30 said:
As someone who owns both, let me tell you. It is not even close. Get the Ryedale.

As one poster said (that said to get the MD) he found 8 silver coins last YEAR. YOu can find more than 8 wheat cents every THIRTY MINUTES with the Rtyedale as an AVERAGE. And lots of copper coins. I figured once that COUNTING the time of going to the bank for pick ups AND time spent on dumps, I could completley cycle through about four boxes an hour with the ryedale. At 17% copper, that $17.00 per hour of copper that CAN be sold at $27 on ebay. That's $10 per hour profit with the Ryedale. AFTER counting the time buying and dumping. Not many can say that with the MD; not without finding some spectatular find. WIth the Ryedale, it is repeatable over and over again.

So you can't melt the pennies down. So what. We on this board don't normally melt our silver we find, do we? We either keep it or we sell it. You can do the same with the copper cents. Keep them or sell them. They DO sell. You can get about 1.6 cents per penny right now. Doesn't sound like a lot, but when you compare that to getting "eight silver dimes' in a YEAR? Come on! And I use him as an example becuase out here I get LESS than eight silver dimes a year with the MD. lolol. I consider him SUCCESSFUL, and he got 8 in a year.

I worked the Ryedale fairly hard the first year. 2009. I found approximatly 128,000 copper pennies. Can't melt them. But sold a BUNCH of them. (Not even half though). Sell $500.00 for $1,250 and you've done well. Paid for the machine twice over and that does NOT include the wheats or the indian heads found that are worth MORE. At today's copper penny rates, sell them at $800 for $500 worth (1.6 cents per penny) and you've still done better than selling eight silver coins at 20 times face value. And again that does NOT include the 2,039 WHEATS I Found in 2009. Or the few Indian Heads (rare, but you WILL find some) Those I've never sold. Just like I've never sold my silver dimes or quarters while CRH. BUt I know I have "made more" on the ryedale than on the FOUR MD machines I've had over the years. And faster too.

Now for one other thing though. It is not about the money. It is about what you LIKE. If you like using the MD more, than buy it anyway. If you like the Ryedale more, then buy it. I Play golf, and it NEVER brings me silver OR copper. Just COSTS me EVERY time I go. yet I do it, because I like it. SO take that into consideration also. Bottom line - I have found that since buying my ryedale in September 2008, my MD has gotten LITTLE use. I rather use the ryedale or search those fruitless halves out here. That's me. the answer is YOUR desires. But if you want an economical answer, the Ryedale wins by a LONG shot. :-)

John

As usual jrf30 is right on the money. If you're looking for profit, its not even close. Go with the Ryedale. As long as you have a place to dump all the Zincolns, the Ryedale would no doubt pay for itself quickly as well as put a ton of wheaties in your collection.

If a metal detector "pays" for itself in its lifetime you'd probably be ahead of most detectorists. Sure, you could conceiveably dig up a cache, a gold coin or two, or a valuable relic, but it isn't likely. A 2 silver coin day is a GREAT day with a detector. I've been detecting off and on since I was a kid in 1980. Two is the most I have found in a single day. Now with that said, I wouldn't dream of getting a Ryedale if it meant that I had to part with my DFX. I just enjoy it too much. It gets me outside and a little exercise. There is nothing like seeing silver come out of the ground IMO (unless its gold). The only way metal detecting can compete with CRH is that, on average, you will find older/better silver coins.

Just decide which is the better option for you and go for it!

PJ in WI

Mar 17, 2007
Detector(s) used
EXPLORER SE and an ACE 250
Well said jrf30. I have 3 detectors, a ryedale and plenty of snow. I am unable to detect about 4-5 months out of the year. When I am unable to detect, the ryedale allows me to search for wheat pennies and the occasional Indian at amazing speed. The by product (copper pennies) are and added bonus. I also found over 2,000 wheats and 3 Indians and I did not purchase the ryedale until Sept. Some day we will be allowed to melt the coppers. Until then I am saving them. PJ

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jrf30, are you a realcenter?

apush

Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2009
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get extra boxes of halves for the next couple of weeks, sell the silver, and give Mrs. P. what she wants. Then, get your Rydale. :icon_sunny:

You can pick up a used ACE 250 pretty cheap on ebay. I have one and love it. Since I am happy, that makes Mr. Apush way happy. If momma ain't happy, then . . . .

Just my two cents. :laughing7:

apush :read2:

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
I think it all depends on how much work you want to put into it. Some metal detectorists love it and swear it's the best ever and some love the Ryedale. I have both. I have a White's MXT & a Ryedale. I only used the metal detector in the summer and only found about $13 in change from it. I guess it's cool and you get outdoors and do some physical labor. I've never found a ring or gold or silver coin from it but then again I'm new at it. I've wasted a bunch of time before digging up something and it turned out to be an aluminum can. As far as the Ryedale, it helps with the penny search. It does move things up faster. My main concern is dumping pennies and I spend most of my time rewrapping and counting them to be dumped or spent since I don't trust the banks to count my change. You could go without a Ryedale and do it the old fashion way by sorting them by hand. The Ryedale makes it easier to find the wheats since generally you only have to look in the copper pile for them. However sometimes older wheats end up in the zinc pile. I found a really worn 1922-D in the zinc pile two days ago (very cool). In terms of profit, I've gotten much more from sorting and selling copper than metal detecting but then again you can also sort pennies without a Ryedale. I would say it's your call.

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
AGCoinHunter said:
Jrf30, are you a realcenter?

no. This forum is about all the time i have to look at things. :-) Heck, I'm in my office, just now looking at this board before goimng home, and it is 10:31PM on a Wednesday night. And I"ll be back tomorrow at 7AM. Fortunately, not a lot of nights until 10:30, but all in all this forum is all I can hanldle on the reading. If I get extra time, it is with the wife, with my son (who turns two tomorrow) or even doing a little CRh once in a while. Not reading boards. :-)

blkcwbyhat

Dec 3, 2010
you guys really made me do my homework!! I looked at feebay for pennies,they get about 50% over face for copper! Sounds like a great way to dump my clad halves at the grocery store for roll's of cent's! If I lose out on the halves,double down on pennies!

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
blkcwbyhat said:
you guys really made me do my homework!! I looked at feebay for pennies,they get about 50% over face for copper! Sounds like a great way to dump my clad halves at the grocery store for roll's of cent's! If I lose out on the halves,double down on pennies!

Yeah but 9% Final Value Fee & 3% forced Paypal.. you aren't making too much. Plus it's a lot of work to package them. It is labor intensive. The best thing is to put up an auction and find someone you can sell to privately. Also don't flood the market with it, it gives the perception of high supply and it lowers the prices. I've seen people flood the Feebay with multiple auctions and their auctions don't go very high. If you do sell on there, sell 5000 at a time. That's my advice.

blkcwbyhat

Dec 3, 2010
Granted ,its not a perfect plan after the fee's and all.Just assume you buy a roll of halve's,all clad.You buy a few roll's of quarter's,all clad.Exchange them for dime's,all clad.Then exchange for pennies! Other than time and gas,you lost nothing! Look at the pennies as a last resort to make a penny...or a few buck's,at least cover the cost.

FreedomUIC

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2010
NUNYA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
blkcwbyhat said:
Granted ,its not a perfect plan after the fee's and all.Just assume you buy a roll of halve's,all clad.You buy a few roll's of quarter's,all clad.Exchange them for dime's,all clad.Then exchange for pennies! Other than time and gas,you lost nothing! Look at the pennies as a last resort to make a penny...or a few buck's,at least cover the cost.

I would a Ryedale just to experiment with.

1235CE

May 23, 2006
The Beautiful Berkshires in Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Wow, very surprised at the majority of replies in favor of the Ryedale vs. a metal detector. I do not own a Ryedale but I know what they are and why they are used.

Here is why I believe a metal detector, and I mean a GOOD metal detector, beats a Ryedale hands down, no comparison.

First thing that strikes me is that jrf30 and Arkie are located out West-ish and both believe the Ryedale would be more profitable than a metal detector. And this may be true in their case. Simple fact of the matter is that the VAST majority of valuable OLD (US, colonial, Spanish silver) coins are located on the East Coast. And that's not even mentioning the valuable colonial buttons, buckles, etc. that come as a by-product of metal detecting for coins.

Having lived in Massachusetts my whole life (42 years) I'm quite sure I'd have no interest in metal detecting should I ever have to move away from the East Coast. If there is not a chance that a Large Cent, colonial state copper, Spanish silver or even pre-Mercury silver coin will be popping out of my hole then why even bother? :dontknow: Yes, I know that is an arrogant statement to make but dig up 200 year old coins for a while and then go detecting where you "might" find a Mercury dime if you're lucky.....It's just not the same.

Another by-product of metal detecting is friendship, camaraderie, exercise, adventure, sunshine, nature, etc. My brother happens to be my detecting partner, has been for years. The excitement that can be shared while out in the field is second to none. The stories we can tell, the good natured ribbing we dish out and the COINS WE TAKE HOME are simply not repeatable with a Ryedale. I just can't see my brother sitting in my basement for hours while I dump boxes of pennies into a machine.

And you know what, when our day is done we just go home with our loot. No bank runs to get coins, no bank runs to return coins, no packaging coins for sale on E-Bay, no listing them on E-Bay, no mailing out hundred pound boxes. And quite honestly, I have a good job and 1.6 cents on the penny including all of that work just doesn't cut it for me.

Phrostie, go and purchase a metal detector (a White's XLT or better in my opinion, I have a DFX) get out of the house, forget about profit, percentages of copper per box and the the occasional worn slick Indian Head and go find some real coins and put together a collection that you can dump out on the table, drool over, laugh about and inspire you to hunt again and again.

HH all!

Greg

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, very surprised at the majority of replies in favor of the Ryedale vs. a metal detector.

Gotta remember, this is the CRH forum where many on here never have or never will metal detect. There is some cross over but I believe those who frequent this forum are more prone to collect coins/bullion via the roll/bag. I myself have never md'ed but I have always wanted to and maybe will one day.

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
1235CE said:
Wow, very surprised at the majority of replies in favor of the Ryedale vs. a metal detector. I do not own a Ryedale but I know what they are and why they are used.

Here is why I believe a metal detector, and I mean a GOOD metal detector, beats a Ryedale hands down, no comparison.

First thing that strikes me is that jrf30 and Arkie are located out West-ish and both believe the Ryedale would be more profitable than a metal detector. And this may be true in their case. Simple fact of the matter is that the VAST majority of valuable OLD (US, colonial, Spanish silver) coins are located on the East Coast. And that's not even mentioning the valuable colonial buttons, buckles, etc. that come as a by-product of metal detecting for coins.

Having lived in Massachusetts my whole life (42 years) I'm quite sure I'd have no interest in metal detecting should I ever have to move away from the East Coast. If there is not a chance that a Large Cent, colonial state copper, Spanish silver or even pre-Mercury silver coin will be popping out of my hole then why even bother? :dontknow: Yes, I know that is an arrogant statement to make but dig up 200 year old coins for a while and then go detecting where you "might" find a Mercury dime if you're lucky.....It's just not the same.

Another by-product of metal detecting is friendship, camaraderie, exercise, adventure, sunshine, nature, etc. My brother happens to be my detecting partner, has been for years. The excitement that can be shared while out in the field is second to none. The stories we can tell, the good natured ribbing we dish out and the COINS WE TAKE HOME are simply not repeatable with a Ryedale. I just can't see my brother sitting in my basement for hours while I dump boxes of pennies into a machine.

And you know what, when our day is done we just go home with our loot. No bank runs to get coins, no bank runs to return coins, no packaging coins for sale on E-Bay, no listing them on E-Bay, no mailing out hundred pound boxes. And quite honestly, I have a good job and 1.6 cents on the penny including all of that work just doesn't cut it for me.

Phrostie, go and purchase a metal detector (a White's XLT or better in my opinion, I have a DFX) get out of the house, forget about profit, percentages of copper per box and the the occasional worn slick Indian Head and go find some real coins and put together a collection that you can dump out on the table, drool over, laugh about and inspire you to hunt again and again.

HH all!

Greg

Well, I have a metal detector.. it was good with finding quarters that's for sure but I just don't want to metal detect in the winter time. Even though, it's only 60-70 degrees out here this week, it would only be a summer time thing for me. Who wants to go out in the snow or rain to do it? And if they did go in the snow or rain, they would be the most hardcore of detectorists.

TxTim

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2007
Texas
Detector(s) used
DFX & SE
AGCoinHunter said:
Wow, very surprised at the majority of replies in favor of the Ryedale vs. a metal detector.

Gotta remember, this is the CRH forum where many on here never have or never will metal detect. There is some cross over but I believe those who frequent this forum are more prone to collect coins/bullion via the roll/bag. I myself have never md'ed but I have always wanted to and maybe will one day.

You are probably in the minority here.
Treasurenet is primarily an MD forum and I'd be willing to bet that most who here started their CRH career here were MDr's first.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread