s mint pennies

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
Same thing with me apush. Just like when I ask for "half dollars". Some tellers don't comprehend unless you call them "fifty cent pieces".
HH
enamel7

Except theres nothing wrong with calling it 50 cent or half dollar, no official designation, just as you can call a quarter a 25 cent piece, its not like you are calling it a fifty PENNY piece or a twenty-five penny piece. every time I ask for boxes of cents, and a teller says you mean pennies, I give them a little history lesson, and tell them they are called cents and nowhere in any official literature on the subject, is a cent ever referred to penny.

if you were in charge of any higher branch of coinage or even currency in the US, in any level of the system, if you made the mistake of calling a cent a penny your career would be over.

FloridaFinder

Aug 27, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
sagittarius98 said:
And that they cull silver. :)

They only make the labels though.

I still laugh at those comments. When I found out they were just a paper company it cleared up all misconceptions for me.

LooseChange

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They don't exist...How many of you know what I'm talking about?
Yes I know. There aren't any s mint pennies. Only s mint cents.

If you are all about splitting hairs, you won't mind a bit of schooling. There were 'S' mint pennies.

They were minted in San Francisco, CA, USA in 1942 and 1943 for Fiji - out of brass. And, they carried the 'S' mint mark.

Attachments

• Fiji Penny (S).JPG
    Fiji Penny (S).JPG
    129.3 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:

CladSmoke

Nov 18, 2012
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Mine eyes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LooseChange said:
If you are all about splitting hairs, you won't mind a bit of schooling. There were 'S' mint pennies.

They were minted in San Francisco, CA, USA in 1942 and 1943 out of brass. And, they carried the 'S' mint mark.

Oh that is cool. I want one!

CladSmoke

Nov 18, 2012
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Mine eyes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone have a bunch of British pennies laying around and need some wrappers for them? I have about a thousand of these things. Probably worth something!

image-4027210377.jpg

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other

They were minted in San Francisco, CA, USA in 1942 and 1943 for Fiji - out of brass. And, they carried the 'S' mint mark.

True, I forgot. I have one like it, but it's a later date. I do have a 1942-S florin from Fiji. The penny you showed a picture is worth $3.50 in XF, but that one has an ink stain lowering its value.

Last edited:

LooseChange

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FIJI AIN'T UNITED STATES DOLLAR. I can make one myself, and it won't be a cent. you try spending that as a cent anywhere, I mean anywhere bro, and you gonna get kicked out and maybe beat up. Penny is not a cent and a cent is not a penny vice versa, imagine calling a penny a cent in the UK and see what happens.

Penny (United States coin) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You're funny. FIJI ain't the US. A cent ain't a penny. A penny ain't a cent. Nobody in the UK calls their pennies cents. So, nobody was saying otherwise.

Members were saying that there has never been an 'S' mint penny. That's not accurate and since the tone has been about absolute accuracy, it's appropriate to correct those members. It's all in fun.

Last edited:

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
man, you gotta chill! It was all in fun, what I said was for fun.

I'm glad you pointed it out, good to know. I was joking, and I'm being serious though, if someone tried passing that off as change to the 'average' casheier, they would not know what to do. You did answer the thread, it is an S-mint "Penny", not a cent, not part of US currency, but they do in fact exist.

i was not exactly speaking to you directly, but, the thread derailed lika train, and a whole big argument over the notion of pennies vs cents got into play, and I mistakenly brought you into it. I apologize dawg.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
Anyone have a bunch of British pennies laying around and need some wrappers for them? I have about a thousand of these things. Probably worth something!

View attachment 717652

In the United Kingdom, coin rolls are not used, instead small plastic bags are provided free of charge at banks which are filled by the customer with the appropriate amount of the same value coin as printed on the bag. When depositing or changing, the bags are weighed at the bank to check they contain the right amount.

-from Wikipedia

CladSmoke

Nov 18, 2012
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Mine eyes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sagittarius98 said:
In the United Kingdom, coin rolls are not used, instead small plastic bags are provided free of charge at banks which are filled by the customer with the appropriate amount of the same value coin as printed on the bag. When depositing or changing, the bags are weighed at the bank to check they contain the right amount.

-from Wikipedia

Interesting. They should do that here.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread