Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just wanted you good folks to know that in the next few days I will be listing my wonderful DeLeon md for sale.

Sadly, I must retire from this great sport/hobby. Two years ago I had back surgery and have never fully recovered. I always knew that md was not good for my back, legs, and feet.

Now I am experiencing excruciating pain once again. So I know that it is time to call it quits.

My Deleon has locked on to over 1300 coins, 2 bracelets, and 8 rings (not one junk), and other nice finds, since I took ownership 10 months ago. It is one more fine md.

For sale will be 4 coils, including the great new 7" concentric.
I also will be listing my Red Racer, another wonderful md, with all coils, including the new 7" concentric.

MD has also taken a toll on my arthritic hands, especially the fingers. One surgery on my right hand is enough. Having to give up playing stringed instruments too, which has been a great love of mine for many years. My son, himself an accomplished musician, has dibs on my instruments.
At least i will have my harmonicas.

You guys have been great. It's been fun going back and forth with you on this forum.

Last edited:

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900 / Garrett PropointerAT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well we wish you the best and hope you'll stick around online.
Perhaps you can take up coin roll or yard sale hunting, just to keep you busy.

Shane508

Sep 19, 2017
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very sad to have to give up something that you love. I wish you luck. Depending on how much you're selling the Deleon for, maybe I can help ease the pain by giving you money for it lol.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Vern,
Have you considered a longer handled scoop, walking slower and a pain pill?
I have spinal stenosis and have experienced the same symptoms you have.
I gave up jogging, but still,with the help of Aleve an hour before going out, I still MD.
All the best to you,
Don...

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I hope you feel better, and prayers offered to lessen your pain brother! :skullflag:

Peter67

Oct 9, 2016
Belgium
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2
Xp Deus
Minelab Equinox 600
Nokta Makro Legend
Nokta Makro Multikruzer
Tesoro Lobo Super Traq,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wish you all the best in the future Vern. I will miss you're postings here.

Tony (Michigan)

May 17, 2017
Lapeer County, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Explorer, E-trac, Muskateer, Tesoro, Deus, White's, Detech, DMC IIb, and others
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Vern, I am so sorry to hear about your dilemma. I hope everything works out for you!

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sorry to hear about the pains you are having. Please don't go, you are a valuable asset to the site. I have always enjoyed reading your posts. There are plenty of noobs arriving every day that need advice from a sage as yourself.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Vern,
I feel your pain. I have arthritis and sometimes we are overwhelmed with pain when we walk, dig, lift and sleep.
It's exhausting.
I was an acoustic instrument builder, as well as a guitar player, which I can no longer enjoy doing.
I wish you the very best.

longcut

Oct 16, 2012
Misipy
Detector(s) used
X Terra 505 and Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Vern ,,, that is really bad news ........... I hope you the best in the years to come !!!!!! Keep your chin up and keep moving ahead !!!!

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
Aww man, sorry to see you get out of the hobby but if it is causing you pain a wise choice.
Good luck in the future on...everything else.

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sorry to hear this too. I too enjoyed reading your posts and totally understood your sense of humor. Good luck and I wish you the best on whatever you do to pass the time in the future.

John.

Goldfinger450

Aug 28, 2017
Central Oregon.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All the Best to you Vern, stopping in the field work does not mean you have to stop doing the digging or coming here to the site, save the detectors for those days when you feel good?

I have a Botched Lamenectomy where the civi hospital who did my knees on wounded warrior did a great job, Lamenectomy was total opposite, sent me home with MRSA infection, 3rd open up and clean out left me with deficits and nerve damage, VA Hospital saved my life, the civi docs gave me the wrong medicine for 40 days, Don't give up yet Brother. There are Options.

Pacific_Searcher

Sep 30, 2016
Hawaii
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600/Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sad to read this but good luck with whatever comes next Vern. I have very much enjoyed your posts and hope you will stick around tnet and hopefully find a way to MD again but I understand that kind of pain is no joke. Take care Vern.

lazyguru

Sep 28, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I feel for you, best of luck! I've just started getting into metal detecting, but I can already tell it's probably not good for my back. I already spend long hours in front of the computer, which I've tried to optimize as much as possible for ergonomics. But when it comes to treasure hunting, I don't know what I can do to mitigate any potential damage on the body.

BTW, here are some guides I've found useful for making sure your computer workspace is set up properly and ergonomic:

https://lifehacker.com/5755870/how-to-ergonomically-optimize-your-workspace
https://www.wikihow.com/Set-Up-an-Ergonomically-Correct-Workstation
Creating the Perfect Ergonomic Workspace- The ULTIMATE Guide - Ergonomic Trends

OP
OP
V

Vern2

Jan 26, 2017
Leesburg Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey folks,
Ya'll are very kind. Said some nice things and I appreciate it.

Believe me. I love metal detecting. If I thought there was a way around this, with pain meds, I'm all for it. But the idea is to not rely on pain meds, which can cause more severe problems.
Yes, at 71, I guess I'm a little bit on the older side. But I am extremely happy, except for the pain and discomfort, that's spreading like a cast net. Time to give my body the rest it deserves.

Again, thank you very much.

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Fisher Teknetics Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Vern, keep the Deleon. You'll be back to digging, you must have a goal and keep the hope alive.

You have one foot in the grave when you lose hope....

Stick around!

Tony (Michigan)

May 17, 2017
Lapeer County, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Explorer, E-trac, Muskateer, Tesoro, Deus, White's, Detech, DMC IIb, and others
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey folks,
Ya'll are very kind. Said some nice things and I appreciate it.

Believe me. I love metal detecting. If I thought there was a way around this, with pain meds, I'm all for it. But the idea is to not rely on pain meds, which can cause more severe problems.
Yes, at 71, I guess I'm a little bit on the older side. But I am extremely happy, except for the pain and discomfort, that's spreading like a cast net. Time to give my body the rest it deserves.

Again, thank you very much.

I'm really not trying to be funny here but if you have any kids that like to detect, you could connect some wireless headphones to the detector, let them swing it while you listen and when you get a good hit yell, Stop! Then tell them to dig up those gold coins.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I wish you the best in your pain management.

May God Bless.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread