Lewy

Oct 29, 2017
Bournemouth
Detector(s) used
Tesoro vaquero , compadre, outlaw, cibola, silver umax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
HI

This has probably been covered in the past, but does anyone really understand notch narrow and wide discrimination?

I know on my Cortes if I notch narrow it will discriminate out the pull tabs and it does it very well, but at the same time it will knock out gold in that frequency,
In the wide notch it seems to take out pull tabs and lower value coins.

So am I missing something here!

Or is it really for when you just want to cherry pick on trashy ground.

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
Consider every time you use any form of discrimination you can possibly miss gold.
I have found gold from way down in iron, (a very thin gold chain), up to lower zinc on large gold class rings and it can come in even higher than that...larger gold coins and very high karat gold jewelry for instance.
It is a crapshoot, disc is used to help you avoid some problem trash but hopefully still let you hear the areas where treasure can lie if you are lucky enough to come across some and picked areas to eliminate where you didn't disc out the good stuff.
Wide/narrow notch is a fine tuning system if you will, to help eliminate some problem trash at some sites that might be very close to the conductivity of better targets.

Here is a vid from Silver 53' using a golden that also has this feature.
Notice he eliminates a sta- tab that can be very close to a nickel, (or nickel area gold), and still hit that nickel solid.
I have found gold in more than a few areas where those sta tabs come in so you never know but in trashy areas where you don't have a lot of time or patience to dig a lot of trash at some sites this fine tuning adjustment can come in handy.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Lxz6oueP4t0

Some don't use any disc at all, some use a lot and live with the consequences...it all depends on where you want to draw YOUR particular line in the sand.

OP
OP
L

Lewy

Oct 29, 2017
Bournemouth
Detector(s) used
Tesoro vaquero , compadre, outlaw, cibola, silver umax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Consider every time you use any form of discrimination you can possibly miss gold.
I have found gold from way down in iron, (a very thin gold chain), up to lower zinc on large gold class rings and it can come in even higher than that...larger gold coins and very high karat gold jewelry for instance.
It is a crapshoot, disc is used to help you avoid some problem trash but hopefully still let you hear the areas where treasure can lie if you are lucky enough to come across some and picked areas to eliminate where you didn't disc out the good stuff.
Wide/narrow notch is a fine tuning system if you will, to help eliminate some problem trash at some sites that might be very close to the conductivity of better targets.

Here is a vid from Silver 53' using a golden that also has this feature.
Notice he eliminates a sta- tab that can be very close to a nickel, (or nickel area gold), and still hit that nickel solid.
I have found gold in more than a few areas where those sta tabs come in so you never know but in trashy areas where you don't have a lot of time or patience to dig a lot of trash at some sites this fine tuning adjustment can come in handy.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Lxz6oueP4t0

Some don't use any disc at all, some use a lot and live with the consequences...it all depends on where you want to draw YOUR particular line in the sand.

Hi thanks for this,
I did check out the vid and yes it does make sense, one thing I did notice was silver 53 had the discrimination to iron, is that where it should be when using the notch feature?

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
Probably doesn't have to be on the Golden or Cortes...for hunting parks looking for coins and jewelry it just makes sense to set it up that way.

From the Cortes manual...

"There is a very distinct difference between the regular Discriminate and the Notch Filter Discriminate. While both filter out unwanted targets, the regular Discriminate Level knocks out everything below the level it was set at. The Notch Filter Discriminate works only in a certain band and does not affect the targets below or above it. This gives the detector the advantage of discriminating most of the pull tabs and still keeping nickels and gold rings. The Notch Filter Discriminate has two settings—Narrow and Wide. Narrow covers most pull tabs and Wide covers most pull tabs and most screw caps."

What this says to me is this feature is there to help you deal with two of the most common problems we face out there, the band that encompasses pull tabs and screw on tops.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread