Safari concerns

dusty bin

Oct 10, 2013
Hi I have been using a garrett ace 250 for my last five months and its got me hooked but I feel it's time to upgrade to a better detector after lots of research I'm thinking the safari is the way to got but reading the forums gives me a few concerns manly minelab plug the safari as a switch on and go bit of kit but a lot of new users seem to have problems getting use to the slow and low swing what about when low is not possible like in long grass or a newly dug up field ? These concerns has got me looking at the x terra 705 a fair bit cheaper and maybe a more all round machine but I would like a FBS detector my main question is are there people out there that regret buying the safari and wished they had gone with the 705 instead i would be very great full for any info any of you can give me before I spend my hard earned cash

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a Safari and I do like it. I maybe would have liked an etrac better but I wanted the FBS too, and the Safari was more affordable. All detectors like low, some may have faster recovery speeds but all are handicapped in high grass or plowed fields. Any of the FBS machines are way more advanced than the 250 and it will take you some time to figure the beast out. Good luck with your decision and hunting with your new machine!!

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Backside Of Nowhere In Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FBS & V-Flex are very different yet complimentary technologies. Each has it's advantages, which is why they were combined in the FBS2 CTX-3030.
I have both an FBS and a V-Flex. Of the two the FBS will go away first, and then only to purchase an FBS2. The V-Flex will remain in the arsenal for a long time.

lisfisher

Mar 5, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Minelab Excalibur 2
White's classic 3sl
Garrett Infinium
Garrett pro pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a Safari and have no issues with it. The recovery time isn't as bad as you might have read in user reviews, you just have to slow down the sweep, which is a good habit to get into anyway. The safari LOVES silver, but overall, like switching from one machine to another, there is a learning curve.

OP
OP
dusty bin

dusty bin

Oct 10, 2013
Thanks for the feedback I'm still loving the look & sound of the safari and FBS technology but like longhair says its seems that a need for a v-flex machine like the x-terra 705 is very good to have as well I'm now thinking of getting the safari but keeping hold of my ace 250 as well till I can afford a 705 I'm in the uk and the cost of both detectors is about a £100 more then a etrac and I think would cover all bases

issombeituni

May 26, 2013
I just came form a 705 to a safari. Would of difference I cleaned up a area by my house I hunted 1000 times with the 705. I loved the 705!! It's just some stuff in my dirt was out of its reach. I had 3 coils and to me was a pain to switch them all the time. Why not a machine that runs on a ton freq?? So I did. I love both machines but today look what I found

I took the Safari out for her first hunt since it 40 out. Took her to a place by my house a old school was there a new school is there now. I worked a small tot lot and the old stairs to the once stood school. The machine sings with coins no doubt. But everyone tells me once u here silver u will know. I was amazed of the sound but the depth indicator was all the way at the bottom. I sounded so sweet and I been fooled so many times before with junk. Makes at 13 inches pulled a 1962 Washington out!!! My first silver with the Safari!!!! Not a bad haul today found a pocket spill of 3 quarters too.

I hunted this spot with the 705 many of times it's a small part of a park and still found more.

Pm with any other questions

Attachments

• image-2639201566.jpg
    image-2639201566.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 65
  • image-1162792585.jpg
    image-1162792585.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 76
  • image-1538405714.jpg
    image-1538405714.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 68
  • image-3223345858.jpg
    image-3223345858.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 77

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just came form a 705 to a safari. Would of difference I cleaned up a area by my house I hunted 1000 times with the 705. I loved the 705!! It's just some stuff in my dirt was out of its reach. I had 3 coils and to me was a pain to switch them all the time. Why not a machine that runs on a ton freq?? So I did. I love both machines but today look what I found

I took the Safari out for her first hunt since it 40 out. Took her to a place by my house a old school was there a new school is there now. I worked a small tot lot and the old stairs to the once stood school. The machine sings with coins no doubt. But everyone tells me once u here silver u will know. I was amazed of the sound but the depth indicator was all the way at the bottom. I sounded so sweet and I been fooled so many times before with junk. Makes at 13 inches pulled a 1962 Washington out!!! My first silver with the Safari!!!! Not a bad haul today found a pocket spill of 3 quarters too.

I hunted this spot with the 705 many of times it's a small part of a park and still found more.

Pm with any other questions

Congrats on that silver! The Minelab Safari Metal Detector | BigBoysHobbies uses 28 frequencies like the Minelab E-Trac and here is proof on what it can do! Way to go!

OP
OP
dusty bin

dusty bin

Oct 10, 2013
Great finds and advice issombeituni thanks for putting my mind at rest over upgrading to a FBS detector looking at getting the safari in January will pm u for setting advice ect then hope u get lots more cool finds enjoy your new safari

marjam

Nov 17, 2012
Great finds and advice issombeituni thanks for putting my mind at rest over upgrading to a FBS detector looking at getting the safari in January will pm u for setting advice ect then hope u get lots more cool finds enjoy your new safari

I know you will be pleased. The fbs detectors like coins in general. You will find coins other detectors have missed with one, I have and so have many others that are fortunate enough to own one. I had to buy an etrac after all the hype, and they live up to it. If you take the pointers the old pros have thrown out on this forum, it will speed the learning curve. Watch some videos on the safari as well, some are very good at explaining the signals they are getting. I know the 2 resources I mentioned has helped me along tremendously.

marjam

Nov 17, 2012
Nothing in particular, just YouTube videos folks have posted. Others may have more specific links but I just found them doing random searches. Lots of explorer and etrac videos, some safari. All will get you familiar with the sounds though which is a big help.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread