how do we know?

Bombguy

Oct 22, 2013
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Soveriegn GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My question is for anyone. With the aftermarket coils that are currently in production for the Sovereign series, how do we know which coil has the best search field. I have seen pictures where it is depicted that the 10" tornado coil gets about a foot but comes to a V at that depth. I've seen pictures were the WOT DOES the same thing. I've also seen pictures that shows the 10x12 sef coil looses a bit of depth but the search field is solid straight down not coming to a V like the tornado...but what about Sun Rays S-12? What pattern and depth does it produce? I know its lighter than any of the previously mentioned coils at 25.5 oz w/cover but what about performance and search field?...Thanks Bombguy

here is a link to what I am talking about maybe this will help make sense of what I am seeing and trying to explain.

http://www.kellycodetectors.com/excelerator/EXcelleratorMain.htm?gclid=CK2AhbWhkLsCFcQ9QgodHU4AfQ

Last edited:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My understanding has always been that the concentric coils cone down to a point at max depth and that the DD coils are more like the chisel tip. The cc's are supposed to go a bit deeper but the DD's cover more ground at their max depth. The different of swinging the end of a nail over a target or swinging a broom over it.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My understanding has always been that the concentric coils cone down to a point at max depth and that the DD coils are more like the chisel tip. The cc's are supposed to go a bit deeper but the DD's cover more ground at their max depth. The different of swinging the end of a nail over a target or swinging a broom over it.

So right Cudamark...the manufacturer's coils are a compromise between depth and coverage. After market coils pictures of they're field coverage are a marketing ply and that means lies and falsehoods.

pkb

Feb 10, 2013
Dallas
Detector(s) used
Two Garrett AT PRO's, two Garrett pro pointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ah ! great descriptions of a dd and concentric

OP
OP
B

Bombguy

Oct 22, 2013
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Soveriegn GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok guys... so lets open this up to a broader discussion... Here is me setup: Soveriegn GT, 10" tornado, straight shaft. I have made an aftermarket product that keeps the sand off my unit when its Hip mounted.

Question, Is there a company that makes a "Lighter shaft assembly' for the GT? I am looking to cut weight as much a possible without loosing durability of my stock shaft. I have already unmounted the unit and am now using it in a "hip mounted" configuration. Basically, I am wanting to build the "Ultimate" waterproof machine kind of like having the Excal 2 but with Iron mask. I will never dive this set up...maybe only hip wading. I am already working on the enclosure box using cable clams PN1002, Plano waterproof box PN1460, 3m Adhesive sealant fast cure 5200 PN:06535, ( I still need to acquire a 1' coil extension 6 pin cable and a 1' right angle 1/4" stereo audio cable( any help locating these 2 items would be greatly appreciated)) after all parts are acquired then its a matter od assembly. I am using 1' cables so that I can make this box a stand alone unit... just unhook the 2 connectors and turn it from a water unit to a land unit or have a completely different setup say with another shaft and coil so all I have to do is add the blue box to the connection and I'm ready to go in a few minutes. thanks- Bombguy

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ok guys... so lets open this up to a broader discussion... Here is me setup: Soveriegn GT, 10" tornado, straight shaft. I have made an aftermarket product that keeps the sand off my unit when its Hip mounted.

Question, Is there a company that makes a "Lighter shaft assembly' for the GT? I am looking to cut weight as much a possible without loosing durability of my stock shaft. I have already unmounted the unit and am now using it in a "hip mounted" configuration. Basically, I am wanting to build the "Ultimate" waterproof machine kind of like having the Excal 2 but with Iron mask. I will never dive this set up...maybe only hip wading. I am already working on the enclosure box using cable clams PN1002, Plano waterproof box PN1460, 3m Adhesive sealant fast cure 5200 PN:06535, ( I still need to acquire a 1' coil extension 6 pin cable and a 1' right angle 1/4" stereo audio cable( any help locating these 2 items would be greatly appreciated)) after all parts are acquired then its a matter od assembly. I am using 1' cables so that I can make this box a stand alone unit... just unhook the 2 connectors and turn it from a water unit to a land unit or have a completely different setup say with another shaft and coil so all I have to do is add the blue box to the connection and I'm ready to go in a few minutes. thanks- Bombguy

Check out the Anderson shafts.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread