Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Quiet little historic town on the north end of the San Luis Valley. I have no idea what people do for a living there, as I didn't get to talk with anybody. I guess teach school, work at the convenience store, or clerk at the courthouse (county seat of Saguache county) I was interested in checkin out the campin and fishin possibilities at Russell Lakes south of there. Which I didn't think much of, but man if you duck hunt or goose hunt, I think that will be the place to be when the season opens.

Attachments

• 9-4f.jpg
    9-4f.jpg
    193.5 KB · Views: 80
  • 9-4g.jpg
    9-4g.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 68
  • 9-4h.jpg
    9-4h.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 71
  • 9-4i.jpg
    9-4i.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 71
  • 9-4j.jpg
    9-4j.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 97

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
When I saw that first one before enlarging, thought maybe a bellringer had gotten carried away in the church bell tower.

Nice pics.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you take a drive up Cochetopa pass? Nice and quiet up that way. I do stop by Saguache at an antique store once in awhile. It's definitely a sleepy little town.

OP
OP
RGINN

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I saw that first one before enlarging, thought maybe a bellringer had gotten carried away in the church bell tower.

Nice pics.
The motor cycle guy is across the alley from the church, at a place which advertises lumber and tires for sale. Plus camping supplies.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Beautiful place.

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
That's a totally unrelated eye catcher. I bet it works. Beautiful place!

diggingthe1

Silver Member
Feb 11, 2015
Victor, CO...City of Mines
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800, Ex2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
RGINN

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting article about the stone snakes, thanks. I found some of those rocks walls on the hillsides in the Wichitas in Oklahoma. Pretty much a straight line down the hillside, and no reason to the start and stop, not tall enough to fence livestock. They appear to be from the historic era. Without fail, at the bottom of the hill below them there was a farm pond or tank. After going out there in the heaviest rainstorm we had that year, I observed that they actually channeled water down the hillside to the tank. At least that was my explanation for them. Those in the SLV appear to be a whole different thing.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thank you for sharing! :icon_thumleft:

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Spent more than a few outings hunting points around there. A distant relative has some of these snake walls on her property, you will probably enjoy reading about them. Nice pictures. The little museum there is a great stop. Up behind that gas station on the hill would be a great place to metal detect if you get a chance. https://www.google.com/amp/s/durang...che-stone-snakes-a-remarkable-mystery-endures
Huh! I'll have to go maybe visit that sometime. One time I took a back road that started at La Garita and then came out a few miles out side of saguache on 114. There were some awesome views of the valley below. There was a fella in BV who worked at the prison, back when I lived there. He'd hunted artifacts for many years in the upper San Luis valley. He found some small abalone shell jewelry within the area of Saguache. He was always in the Lariat bar and I'd sit and talk to him over a few beers from time to time. He said he was able to gain access to a private rancher lady to hunt her property. He never would tell me where his best hunting spot where.

Last edited:

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice pic's of the town. Thanks for sharing. Anyone want to take a shot of the last thing that went through the bike riders mind?

diggingthe1

Silver Member
Feb 11, 2015
Victor, CO...City of Mines
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800, Ex2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Huh! I'll have to go maybe visit that sometime. One time I took a back road that started at La Garita and then came out a few miles out side of saguache on 114. There were some awesome views of the valley below. There was a fella in BV who worked at the prison, back when I lived there. He'd hunted artifacts for many years in the upper San Luis valley. He found some small abalone shell jewelry within the area of Saguache. He was always in the Lariat bar and I'd sit and talk to him over a few beers from time to time. He said he was able to gain access to a private rancher lady to hunt her property. He never would tell me where his best hunting spot where.
Some of those ranchers have amazing collections including folsums. There is a spring near by Saguache that at one time must have been a major stopping place. I’ve read about documented camps all over around there. The quartz crystals from the mine by La Garita have water bubbles inside them. I have quite a few! Rginn’s pictures brought back a lot of memories. I have some abalone pieces also from a broken necklace ( I think) found down south of Monte Vista. I bet your friend had a nice collection.

Johnnybravo300

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2016
South of Gunnison, Gold Basin
Detector(s) used
F2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
One benefit of a place like small town saguache? I can walk in the courthouse to pay my car tags with my gun under my coveralls and the sheriff says, "Awww it's probably your overall buckles setting off the metal detector. You're fine...". Not a care in the world in that sleepy town, just the way it should be.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One benefit of a place like small town saguache? I can walk in the courthouse to pay my car tags with my gun under my coveralls and the sheriff says, "Awww it's probably your overall buckles setting off the metal detector. You're fine...". Not a care in the world in that sleepy town, just the way it should be.
And you're probably in and out with your new tags in 10 minutes, whereas I gotta pick a number and sit for dang near 2 hours to get that done by never friendly state workers of the DMV.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread