Sailing, sailing over the bounding main.....

mumszie

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2005
Spring Hill, Florida
OK this may not be the proper place to put this but I did get in the water today. I just didn't hunt! For the past couple of weeks our family have been making our own boats for a contest. Now I had no intention of getting in on this but my grandson was dragging his B*** so I decided - how hard can it be? I mean it wasn't supposed to be a major deal... the darn thing just had to float.

Now Robert had some trouble with his boat but he finally got it done. Unfortunately, it fell apart right off the bat and sunk!

Robert.jpg

My boat was a hurry up job because I was just trying to show him it was no big deal. MY boat did float and floated for a long time..... just upside down. **sigh**

Grandma.jpg

My husband's boat was the best because it not only floated but went right down the river like it knew where it was going.

Grandpa.jpg

Emeraldeyes boat was definitely the prettiest and she put a lot of time into building it. Unfortunatley looks aren't everything and it fell over on it's side right off the bat but it did float! LOL

Andie.jpg

In my book we were all winners. We had a great time and it was a family outing. I think we are going to give this a try again next summer when it gets warmer. At least now we know what to do! :wink:

Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fun with the family is priceless. :headbang:

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That was a great idea and I loved the boats. hey next time put a note in a ziploc bag just to see how far it gets... cool idea and great family idea

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
the top heaviness of your boats designs boat caused them to flip over mumsie --thats why the hubby's dual hull stayed afloat -- not too much weight on top and the dual hull prevented it rolling over -by adding stabilty . -- as a old salt a highly stable hull design and a lack of top heaviness are the keys to a good vessel.-- the outrigger-- 1 smaller out side balancer ( your hubbys design) and catamaran (two even sized hulls) and tri hull (dual outriggersone per side)type hull designs are to this very day quite popular sailing designs because of those factors

OP
OP
mumszie

mumszie

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2005
Spring Hill, Florida
Bootybay said:
That was a great idea and I loved the boats. hey next time put a note in a ziploc bag just to see how far it gets... cool idea and great family idea

My husband wanted me to put a ring in each one and when the boat distagrated he said it would be something for me to hunt for. I said (very nicely) NO! ::)

OP
OP
mumszie

mumszie

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2005
Spring Hill, Florida
ivan salis said:
the top heaviness of your boats designs boat caused them to flip over mumsie --thats why the hubby's dual hull stayed afloat -- not too much weight on top and the dual hull prevented it rolling over -by adding stabilty . -- as a old salt a highly stable hull design and a lack of top heaviness are the keys to a good vessel.-- the outrigger and catamaran type hull designs are to this very day quite popular sailing designs because of those factors

I'm no boat builder and they all told me that I had too much sail but ...... I got stubborn and said nooooo I wasn't going to change it. **sigh** I just never learn but next time.... I'll do better.

Montauk3

Nov 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2 \ Sovereign GT BeachHunter ID
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Congrats, I've been inspired to give up looking for valuables and to take up ship building.

If enough members join me, we can change the name from Treasure.net to Sailing.net.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions