Salt water and Prizm II

schj24

Jul 4, 2006
Baltimore
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm II
Help...I may have damaged my detector by using it in salt water. Is this possible?

O.K. I did leave out a lot of info. Sorry bout that. I only got the disc and rod wet ( I think). But this is whats happening. Im trying to use it on dry land and The detecter beeps when its in the air. It misses targets that I can see in the grass. And (well I am a newbie) but it not finding as much treasure as I think it should! It beeps too much when I use it .

Upvote 0

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Did you put the whole detector in the water? You can put your detector in the water only up to the control box....but I make sure to place a plastic bag over my control box to keep any spray or sand out. Don't lift your coil higher than the control box...the water could run down into the electronics.

If your detector is acting erratically, it's probably because your detector isn't made to operate in salt water or in the wet sand. The salt will make your detector give off false signals. You might have to stay in the dry sand or adjust the sensitivity of your detector so it will handle the salt.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mona Lisa is right on all counts. We could use more information as to how deep you went, etc. I suspect that you received erratic signals from the salt water or sand and you just need to stay in the dry sand where the machine is steady.

Sandman

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Take the connectors apart and make sure they are dried out and no salt residue is on it. Change the batteries and turn up the discriminator if it makes a continual beeping noise. Check the coil for cracks where water could have seeped in.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread