Saltwater beach dry/wet sand settings

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dry sand normal settings, Wet saltwater sand you'll have to really turn your sensitivity WAY down. VLF machines usually try to read wet saltwater sand as one big target.:skullflag:

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, NOX 600, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I actually had some luck at OBX with the Deus..found some junk rings and coins in the surf line....i wish i remembered exactly how or what i adjusted....it was an odd adjustment for sure....i was in wet beach...pumped GB at first and although it makes no sense, pretty sure i had to lower the GB manually to get it to settle down...15 seems to be sticking in my mind....i do remember if you bumped the coil on the wet sand or water it would false....pretty sure i had to mess with the R & S as well.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the wet salt sand, you are just going to have to experiment with different settings like Ted said to see what will quiet the machine down. First put it in salt GB mode and adjust as necessary to get the machine as quiet as you can, then see what operating frequency gives you the least chatter. Experiment with reactivity to see if you can make things settle down and then finally lower sensitivity as necessary once you have everything else dialed in. GL and HH

Toothpick

Sep 9, 2013
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
XP-DEUS 2, MANTICORE, XP-DEUS 1, Equinox 800, Simplex, 1280x, Gold Bug 2, 12v Gator Gill Hookah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let us know how you did. I think saltwater is only weak spot for the Deus. If I hit saltwater/wet sand, I will only use my Equinox.

shanegalang

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Island of Mozambique
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, X 35 coil, 11" LF coil, Deteknix headphones with WS4 puck, Fiskars steel D-Handle Transplanting Spade
Primary Interest:
Other
Since this thread is already started I had similar questions. First, has anyone used the waterproof kit? If yes, school me a bit on it's uses?

HuntinDog

Bronze Member
May 26, 2010
No. Cal.
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS / MXT PRO / Garrett ProPointer
Shanegalang
What exactly are you looking for?
I don't have a XP waterproof kit, but I made my own.
Basically the kit consists of a length of coax cable stripped back on the ends and a waterproof case for your controller.
I'm quite a bit from the ocean so most all of my water hunting has been in fresh water and I haven't done much of that.
I set my Deus up the same as on dry land and it worked fine.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread