salvage operation at Guaymas

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
good afternoon GALS & guys: Not all of treasure hunting in exotic and romantic places is pure Indiana Jones stuff. Some of the little daily happenings will remain in your memories just as well as finally handling the prize.

During the Revolution against Maximilian, it became quite clear that the French in Mexico were to be abandoned when the American civil war finally ended, As a result French refugees crowded the few ports that were still under French control, one of which was Guaymas. the residual gov't sent a ship up the west coast taking on Refugess and their personal fortunes as well as that of what ever remained of the French gov'ts offices in each.

When it finally arrived at Guaymas it was loaded with both treasure and people. A day or so after it arrived, the rebel war ships placed a blockade across the exit from Guaymas to the Open waters of the Mar de Cortez. They unloaded the refugees then decided that since the ship couldn't escape, they would scuttle it in deep waters.

That night the ship sailed to the mouth of the harbor then turned next to the coast line, sailed north to a certain point, again turned and sailed in the direction on a new course until it hit the 300 ft level. There they took cross bearings then scuttled the ship. The captain and the skeleton crew returned to Guaymas in one of the life boats where they were picked up by the Rebel forces, interrogated, books taken from them, then released to go to France.

The data that the Rebels had disappeared over the years , but the captain upon reaching France remembered them quite clearly, and wrote them down.

The first that I heard of this was when I was sitting on a bench in the plaza discretely ogling the passing gals on the sunday promenade. I noticed two Americans approaching, obviously looking for me. They stopped in front of me, introduced themselves, then said that they had to talk to me on some serious business. I indicted the empty space next to me and invited them to sit down. Johnny, the apparent leader, quickly came to the point. he said that he had a dive shop in southern Calif ( another MEL?) and said that through connections, had gotten the data of the French ship from the decedents of the French capt and that they had formed a group to salvage it. One of their key personnel was a supposed Mexican diver.

They had arrived and set up operations but after a week noticed that the key man was not consistent on his bearings. One day while he was off of the ship in Guaymas they searched his belongings and had found my name, hence had come to see me to see if I would head up their salvage operation since so far it had been a colossal failure. When I hear the man's name, I realized that they had probably been taken by a con game in that the data had never been investigated , that the man and I had talked of the possibilities of salvage some months earlier, but I had decided that the information needed further checking. They made me an excellent offer so I agreed to give it a try, we shook hands and so the salvage operation was off and running, on a hand shake..

I went to Guaymas where they put me up in a deluxe bungalow at the 'Playa de Cortez' with an open booking for whatever I needed. I was there for a few days checking over the operation, then asked to go to the ship, where I stayed for the rest of the operation. The ship was an older wooden hulled one that they claimed had been Lionel Barrymore's personal yacht, now called El Vida".. on the aft deck they had constructed a wooden room large enough for 6 men in double bunks. There were windows on all sides with one door, this will come into play later in the story of the salvage operation.

Among those present was the gentleman that I had discussed the possibilities of salvage months earlier and an American that was for all practical purposes a moral less, beach comber, Don. We also had some local Indians aboard for general labor, among which was this 6' plus Yaqui, Juanito. His particular delight, when we made anchorage in the harbor of Guaymas was to simply jump over board , swim to shore, get drunk, chase the gals in a local happy house, , and fight with the Mexican police, jump back into the bay and swim back to the ship. He soon became excessively friendly with me, occasionally brushing up against me?? I was a bit upset with him, then one day I told him off, I said "that while you are two of me I am an excellent shot so back off, I don't go for that, I only go for gals'. He just grunted but did behave from then on.. Then one day I found out what was going on, my nice friend Don, had specifically told the huge Yaqui that I had the hots for him. His idea of a joke sigh.©@

My vengeance came later.

So you see that not every day is a day for Indiana Jones, just daily living. There are many more pages to this little salvage story my friends if you don't get bored.

Don Jose de La Mancha

Digger54

Dec 6, 2010
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, Minelab Sovereign GT, Fisher1280X, Nautilus DMCIIB
Don't stop.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
you opened this can of worms now spill em out --sounds like fun so far---

OP
OP
Real de Tayopa Tropical Tramp
Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Having gotten the big Yaqui situation resolved, I next decided to check out the equipment,. they had a recording fathometer of some kind, it was portable ad recorded on a continuous strip of paper perhaps 2 inches wide. It seemed to be in good working order.

I then went down into the hold, where I found two Mk 5 Navy hard hat diving suits in surprisingly good condition. I spent a bit of time going over everything, including the hoses and communication lines. Everything was working just fine.

I then headed for the fantail where the air compressor was under a tarp. I undid the fastening then almost had a heart attack. They had brought a street, jack hammer, industrial air compressor still on it's rubber tires. I read off the specifications of capacity and volume and went looking for the jefe, their boss on their side, very disgusted.. I found him under the canvas awning drinking a cool beer.

When he noticed that I was a bit upset, he waved to a vacant chair and said "sit down Jose, have a nice cool beer". I thanked him then asked 'who decided on that air compressor"?. He answered 'Our diver, why"? 'Well it doesn't have any provision for filtering the air, for another you are thinking of a 300 ft dive with compressed air ? you are crazy". "why" he asked? " well for one thing simply delivering ambient air at that depth it fails, it just doesn't have either the theoretical volumn or pressure". "but our diver said it was ok " he said, beginning to look a bit worried.

"Well my friend, we are talking about 300 ft on compressed air which is strictly a no no in legitimate diving. However, as a crude rule of thumb, remember that each foot of ocean water adds approx. 1/2 lb to the air pressure needed. This means that we need 150 lbs delivery just o equal the pressure at that depth, this does not include the the extra flow to keep the helmet flushed.". " Relax jose, I am sure that he knows what he is doing, after all he is a professional " he said. .

Hmm, he had me there, so I drank a cool root beer and sulked a bit, then said .."Ok , then I suggest that we give it modified trial.. we will go to xxxx - a small beautiful bay ringed with high steep cliffs and a pure white sandy beach, that looks as if it came directly out of Treasure Island tales, very isolated - and conduct a few dives in order for everyone to get used to their job while diving" He agreed.

So my Yaqui had another night of debauchery and beating up pore little policemen, while I wrestled with my figures over and over while half asleep. After all, upon my final decision, a man's health, or life itself may depend upon it once again

The next morning under a beautiful balmy blue sky, we up anchored and sailed out of Guaymas harbor then headed north to just outside of the beautiful little bay. We anchored and proceeded to assemble the the diving gear, however first I went down into the hold with some lard that the cook had given me . I intended to put it on the sole of the heavy diving shoes. When I turned the shoe over both had several dabs of lard already?? Later investigation turned up the knowledge that some of the crew that knew him distrusted him also.. sheehs.

Well our diver arrived so we suited him up, he climbed on the platform that we had rigged for lowering him into the water, then, as everything seemed be be working, started lowering him. the tel system was working just fine, so I told him that we would lower him a ways and then he was to get off and go into free dive to the bottom, where he was to walk around for a bit in order for us to eliminate any bugs. He answered "OK", so we lowered him down

He was on the starboard side between the ship and the bay.. He kept giving me continuous reports. I was watching our anchor chain, it was under considerable tension due the enormous Mar de Cortez tidal flow, it was about 45 degrees and straining. In the meantime I also was watching his exhaust air, the bubbles were coming up just beyond where he was submerged ?? Hmm Logic says that it they were ascending from 50 - 100 ft they should surface far beyond the ship, Later I color coded the winch cable in meters so that we would know how much was out, but today we had to rely upon him..

I told him "let me know when you are on the bottom ", "Ok" he said, then shorty announced "K I am on the bottom now.". I continued watching his bubbles surface then asked "everything ok"? "just fine" he replied. I promptly signaled the winch operator to lift the platform which he did. Immediately our diver that was supposedly down 100 ft walking around "yelled What are you doing"? "Just bringing you to the surface" I replied.

We brought him up on normal surfacing time, swung him around, and brought him aboard where they removed the Mk-5 gear. No one said a single word.

So we returned to the Harbor and anchored again. Our Yaqui as usual went ashore, along with most of the crew, including me, and of course our disgraced diver. I returned to my bungalow, books, and slide rule...©@

Don Jose de La Mancha

pp3 next

Digger54

Dec 6, 2010
Detector(s) used
You have the hook set

I feel like i am getting a free read on an adventure novel a few pages at a time!

I assume the lard on the diving boots is to assist rapid removal?

OP
OP
Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
good morning Digger, the lard was to prove that he had actually stepped on the bottom by retaining bits of sand, gravel, debris , or whatever..

Incidentally this was in the 50's

Don Jose de La Mancha

Digger54

Dec 6, 2010
Detector(s) used
Makes sense, clever.

You seem to have a gift for writing, have you considered putting your adventures in print if you have not already done so?

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
yep just like they used to use tallow when they sounded the ocean bottom with "sounding" leads in the old days -- the end of the sounding lead was hollow --tallow was placed in it to catch the bottom debris and tell you what type of bottom you were over -- old sea charts of those days often listed the bottom "types" as well as depths --sandy , rocky , red clay , ect , ect.

OP
OP
Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HIO Digger my friend: not really, I have been trying to get oro off of his duff to do this, but he is more interested in his cottin pickin sheep, sniff

I do thank you for the undeserved compliment my friend, join me? :coffee2: :coffee2:

Don Jose de la Mancha

OP
OP
Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
?? Ladies Gentlemen: I can't find my page three ?:? I thought that it had been posted two days ago? I will have to rewrite it from memory sorry.

Don Jose de La Mancha

p.s. get rid of that plank, sheesh.

Digger54

Dec 6, 2010
Detector(s) used
You are tormenting us...no? ;D

poorhunter78

Bronze Member
Jul 13, 2008
WV
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Real de Tayopa Tropical Tramp said:
#%T$^^%$%$ just as I was posting it I accidentally deleted it .sniff will retype and send it of f in a short while.

Don Jose de la m
ancha
Take yer time my friend, No need to wear them fingers to stubs! Ha ha

Still looking my friend, Will post when I find more!

P.S. better have yuh some more :coffee2:
Poorhunter

OP
OP
Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks poor hunter I held off on the off chance that it had slipped through but no such luck.

Digger , honest it was not with intention, just clumsy fingers accompanied by &%%#$$## and a bit of frenzied searching, but alas sigh,'

Don Jose de La Mancha

Digger54

Dec 6, 2010
Detector(s) used
Real de Tayopa Tropical Tramp said:
Digger , honest it was not with intention, just clumsy fingers accompanied by &%%#$$## and a bit of frenzied searching, but alas sigh,'

Don Jose de La Mancha

Stop typing with your fists. ;D

OP
OP
Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good morning: As I mentioned, we returned to the Motel after bidding good bye to our disgraced diver / promoter, who slunk off we holed up for a few days going over my calculations etc.. while making up our minds on the next step. Even after two days, that aircompressor set up just wasn't going to hack it.

In the meantime I found out about a bit of larceny going on in our group. It seems that our beach comber Don, and another, were taking advantage of the open account to buy several bottles of the most expensive booze at the hotel's canting on account, then taking them into Guam's to sell or trade for wild nights of tropical debauchery. I promptly stopped that, increasing my popularity, but earning the gratitude of the sponsor. .The bill had run into thousands of dollars. I often wondered if they were loading up taxis with the booze. Unfortunately this was after our next salvage attempt.

The jefe notified me that they wanted to go ahead with the project in any event, and had hired a diver who claimed to be able to dive to that depth on compressed air ?? I bought up the subject of the compressor, but it was brushed aside , hmm

So to fill in the next two weeks waiting for the diver, I suggested that we return to where our disgraced diver had established his cross bearings and grid the area with the fathometer and to check out our routine.

We arrived and dropped anchor. As usual it was straining and about a 20 to 45 degree angle from the vertical due to the tidal flow of the Mar de Cortez. But other than that it was extremely calm, only a gentle wave action of 1/2 - 1 ft. I Put a small boat over the side with two men and the fathometer and sent them off to cross grid the area. This was done mostly by visual sighting,, since in those days GPS etc, had not been invented. Each night I would scan the tapes for that day, nothing, just a smooth sandy bottom with no objects of over 1/2 - 1 ft.

This was our daily routine, so it soon became very boring. As I mentioned, the wooden hulled ship had no air conditioning, so we used the building back on the fan deck to sleep in. It was exposed to any gentle breeze and was tolerably comfortable. Remember, this had a single door and windows on all four sides with double bunks inside. Because of the boredom, our beach comber and another gringo, Lee, decided to see who could pass the most foul smelling gas. They experimented with raw onions etc etc., and in general made life miserable for the rest of us.

One day I found just the two of them asleep in the bunkhouse. I was suffering from some weird tummy problem, and was passing absolutely disgusting gas, so I quietly jammed three of the windows and the door, then stuck my posterior section of my anatomy in the the open window , did my thing, then quickly closed the window and nailed it shut. The sound of the nailing woke them up, then shorty they were frantically running for the door, but unfortunately it wouldn't open, snicker, so they tried the windows one by one, again no success. In the mean time I was sitting in my tilted chair watching them through the window almost howling with satisfaction and the tears.were rolling down my cheeks. it was the funniest thing that I had seen in long time and frankly, revenge was sweet.

I finally relented and opened the door for them. They were thoroughly cowed, and we never had any problems with the icky competition. after that. . I became an instant hero.

Well the day for our diver to arrive in Guaymas finally came due, so we returned to Gauymas , anchored , and went to the airport. I stood by the unloading ramp of the DC-3 waiting but no 6', husky, devil may care, diver appeared. So I turned to leave, thinking that the had missed the flight for some reason, when this little 5'6" guy approached me and askd "Are you mr Curry"? "Yes " I answered with a questioning look. , "I am your diver Mr Curry , James Trivet". Hmmmm Since he hadn't eaten breakfast, we stopped by a restaurant and ordered breakfast for him. I asked him "can you really dive to 300 ft on just compressed air "? "Yes I have done so on a few other project" Hmm so much for my calculations.

We returned to the boat, set sail for our secret spot, anchored and declared the rest of the day a holiday to give him a bit of a rest. So the big day had finally arrived, we suited him up and I told him " today is strictly a test drop. we will put you on the platform, lower you to 50 ft, then when you are ready. make a bounce free dive". "OK" he said and we closed the face plate, helped him unto the platform, then lowered him into the water. At 50' I contacted him and checked that every thing was functioning ok, then gave him permission to do his free dive. He answered and told me that he was leaving the platform.. In the meantime, I was over the side, hanging on with one hand while guiding his air and communication lines carefully as he descended.

I was monitoring the lines and communication when I heard him starting to giggle, I shouted "get him up right now" ! I commenced hauling his air hose up as rapidly as I could until the crew took over and did a very good job. After we had him on the platform and was answering my small talk , relaxed. As we were unsuitinghim He asked me "why did you abort the dive"? " Because you were going into Nitrogen narcosis and might do silly things like opening your exhaust valve fully, or whatever, You were entering a stage where you were effectively like an extremely drunk person" " No I wasn't, I was perfectly fine." I then ordered them to play back the voice recording, he was silent for a while then said "you were correct, I was, but I don't remember anything about that, Thanks".

So unfortunately I had been correct on the compressor, we upped anchor and returned once again to Guaymas. where we sent our diver off to his next contract, but before he left, he took me aside and just said "thanks". I understood. So the salvage operation came to an indefinite halt, I will probably never know if that French ship is still lying out there or not.

We then discussed how we would handle the remaining funds. I told them to take them back home and divide them up with the investors. One of the Principals said " you once mentioned a lost silver mine near here correct? "Yes, La Tarasca" I replied. " OK why don't we set aside some of the remaining funds and you go look for it, we will split it if you find it", your hand shake is good enough for us ©@

So the two gentlemen (?) involved in the gas contest and I set out on the search for La Tarasca,, but that is another story and a land salvage operation.

Don Jose de La Mancha

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions