Salvage

Cablava

May 24, 2005
Here a few pics of a P3 Orion which crashed of Oman, we picked it up just over week later after the fancy bits were removed by the Military.
It lost the out board starboard prop which raked the underside of the aircraft managing to stop the other three engines. The pilot ditched on the water perfectly, not much damage and the crew unharmed, they promply climebed onto the wing and were picked up by a local scuba diving club who had watched the crash from the beach bar. When the Helicopter's arrived the crew were at the bar waiting.
Any one who wants to see the remains, they are at Fujeriah Airport where it is used as the fire practice aircraft.

Attachments

• scan0001.jpg
    scan0001.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 556
OP
OP
C

Cablava

May 24, 2005
This ship we did as a joint venture with Titan from Ft Lauderdale.

Attachments

• scan0005.jpg
    scan0005.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 544
OP
OP
C

Cablava

May 24, 2005
Its sitting on a 10,000 ton rock barge we chartered for the job, we cut it up into bits on the sea bed, not more than 1000 tons per piece, as the Crane barge was only a 1200 ton shear leg and not to reliable.

Attachments

• scan0003.jpg
    scan0003.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 532

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
All types of BFOs owned. Especially want White's Arrow; White's Oremaster; Exanimo Spartan Little Monster; Garrett contract Little Monster.
I was granted a courtesy tour of a P-3 Orion at Cam Ranh Bay in 1971. The Army bought the P-2 Neptunes that the Navy replaced with the P-3. It cured most of the problems we had with the P-2 such as recessed wing beams so that you could walk from the nose to the galley. It also didn't slice the crew in half with the "cheese slicer" antenna wires. We usually threw out a heavy tool box and then the biggest crew member to bust those wires in the event of a parachute departure. I flew on the last combat mission of the last P-2 owned by the Army. It now resides in the Army Aviation Museum. siegfried schlagrule

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Very nice, Mike. Thanks for the pics. I wish I had half your salvage knowledge - it would come in handy one day ;)

Siegfried, what can I say,man? You're..well..mature ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread