Sam Houston Era Questions

justinduke

Tenderfoot
Jun 30, 2008
Well I'm new to metal detecting and had some questions.

My fianse's grandmother owns approx. 250 acres in Texas and its been in their family back to the late 1700's. (She even has all the paperwork and deeds, its really neat)

A portion of her driveway was actually part of Sam Houston's Trail. I was wondering what kind of items I might find, or what to even look for. Or maybe some websites that would describe those riders at that time.

Any suggestions?

Justin

S

stefen

justinduke said:
Well I'm new to metal detecting and had some questions.

My fianse's grandmother owns approx. 250 acres in Texas and its been in their family back to the late 1700's. (She even has all the paperwork and deeds, its really neat)

A portion of her driveway was actually part of Sam Houston's Trail. I was wondering what kind of items I might find, or what to even look for. Or maybe some websites that would describe those riders at that time.

Any suggestions?

Justin

Asking someone who has never been to the site nor is familiar with the property as you are is like asking a blind man to describe the colors in spumoni.

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Any 'old' road that was heavily travelled on foot or horseback will have coins, buttons, and other artifacts on or near it. The trail may have been travelled by the Texas army in it's fight for Independence. You never know where relics will pop out of the ground.

Do some research, get some old maps, and start swinging your MD. Sounds like a fun place to hunt!

DCMatt

OP
OP
J

justinduke

Tenderfoot
Jun 30, 2008
Asking someone who has never been to the site nor is familiar with the property as you are is like asking a blind man to describe the colors in spumoni.
[/quote]

I really appreciate that input. I mean, it was so insightful. Next time don't waste time writing in a forum to someone who is new and asking for some help if you're not going to offer any.

DCMatt - Yes, thanks. Do you know of any places on the web that would have free topo maps? I figured there would be coins, but didn't know (as you suggested) about the buttons. Or any other web sites that would describe their attire or weapons?

Thanks,
Justin

S

stefen

justinduke said:

I really appreciate that input. I mean, it was so insightful. Next time don't waste time writing in a forum to someone who is new and asking for some help if you're not going to offer any.

Justin
[/quote]

Sorry, if you didn't appreciate the answer...and it doesn't matter if your are a new or have been at this craft for years...It's like pointing to an empty lot and asking what can be found...

if the site has been in the family since the 1700's and there is a commonality of trails of some historic significance...Duh

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Start with a Google of "Texas Revolution". Also look at the Library of Congress map site. Loads of early maps there.

Tell me where the property is (generally) and I'll have a look at my other resources.

If you know the location of the trail, look for any place where water might have been available (creek beds and such). Start your searching there. If the trail is that old, no doubt it was used by the Spanish and probably the local Indians before that...

Search on "Santa Anna's Mexican Army" in Google books. There is a nice book preview with pics of the army. That'll give you some idea.

Good luck.

DCMatt

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread