image-4227274154.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 702
Upvote 0

discordia

Apr 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice fish in your Avatar, Bass? Keep having fun.........................63bkpkr

Yes a nice large mounts from under Interstate 5, near Oceanside California. We talk about urban prospecting all the time, here's some urban fishing. :-)
Notice the graffiti on the bridge columns..

Nice. I've been fishing in that lagoon but never caught any bass. only caught a few cat fish and blue gill. Fishing off the coast highway area and another secret spot through the south o neighborhood west of there by the train bridge. Go surfing sometimes near the mouth of that lagoon too (also another place to fish). Cool beach that is normally uncrowded. I actually live in oceanside :P please no one stalk me.

OP
OP
Sample Pan Dan

Sample Pan Dan

Bronze Member
Oct 20, 2012
Bostonia,Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice. I've been fishing in that lagoon but never caught any bass. only caught a few cat fish and blue gill. Fishing off the coast highway area and another secret spot through the south o neighborhood west of there by the train bridge. Go surfing sometimes near the mouth of that lagoon too (also another place to fish). Cool beach that is normally uncrowded. I actually live in oceanside :P please no one stalk me.

Ya we use to park behind the bike shop next to Hunter steakhouse and walk down that steep hill to fish under the highway... Most fishing for panfish down there for a fish fry, but a bass like that was a hell of a lot of fun on ultra light spinning gear and 4lb test.

discordia

Apr 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
Ya we use to park behind the bike shop next to Hunter steakhouse and walk down that steep hill to fish under the highway... Most fishing for panfish down there for a fish fry, but a bass like that was a hell of a lot of fun on ultra light spinning gear and 4lb test.

That hunter's steak house was built on top of a pioneer grave yard and apparently it's haunted. (no joke) sorry for being off topic from gold I just had to share it.

OP
OP
Sample Pan Dan

Sample Pan Dan

Bronze Member
Oct 20, 2012
Bostonia,Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok so I have mentioned that the best gold has come from the top couple feet of gravel at my hole. It seems that about 3' down is a 1"-2" layer of claylike mud. It's too stiff to call mud and too thin and liquidy to call clay, yet I really have to work to break it up in classifier and mix it to stratify in pan. Below this layer is more gravel, so it seems to be working as a clay layer.... Anyone ever run into this before? I almost feel like this was a vegetation layer at one point?

OP
OP
Sample Pan Dan

Sample Pan Dan

Bronze Member
Oct 20, 2012
Bostonia,Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was curious so I weighed my gold from the hole today. Using the same vial filled with water as a tare weight, here's my meager take so far...

Attachments

• image-1231317381.png
    image-1231317381.png
    260.8 KB · Views: 166

Alex Burke

Apr 3, 2013
NorCal
Detector(s) used
BH, GB2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Very nice gold. I saw your question about the clay layer and can only guess it was a flood that came thru at some point and left a sediment layer. That's really just a guess. Did you ever check out the creek i posted about that had the two tiny diamonds found in it supposedly:) a few decades ago. I think it only gets water in storms. Curious if anyone checked it out.

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Monster, Sierra Gold Trac, GB2, the Falcon......and just as many drywashers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Was curious so I weighed my gold from the hole today. Using the same vial filled with water as a tare weight, here's my meager take so far...
If you ask me, the best gold is the kind found by the man who busted his ass to find it in an area little known by others. Well done.

goldog

Sep 25, 2012
Tujunga, CA
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap, A-51, Gold Pan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Let's hear it for the small scale miner! Lovin your posts. Helps to keep me believing I am not nuts to bust my butt for 20 cents a bucket.

Alex Burke

Apr 3, 2013
NorCal
Detector(s) used
BH, GB2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Everytime I see this thread I think of this idea I had for a TV show. Basicly post locations like this and film the location the next day to see and interview people show up to dig and what tools they bring etc. For some reason I think it would be funny if people started digging for diamonds in a upper class San Diego estates creek out of the blue.
https://maps.google.com/?t=h&q=http://mrdata.usgs.gov/mrds/kml.php%3Flabno%3D10214055

Haha yeah it's this thread I hijacked it one night, here is the post.

OP
OP
Sample Pan Dan

Sample Pan Dan

Bronze Member
Oct 20, 2012
Bostonia,Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh ya! Ha ha, I looked at the map.... Are those rows of tailings?! Never been there, who owns the land there?

Alex Burke

Apr 3, 2013
NorCal
Detector(s) used
BH, GB2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Lol idk I say go for it, Im almost positive it's not claimed, and technically it's a waterway even though its a dry one. I think if you started at the little league field or community center park you could walk up the creek at least it looks that way from the air. I think when it gets to the estates you may run into some issues lol.

Edit I just looked again I would try to park and enter at 7th and elm and walk NE up creek, and if no entry maybe the Ramona community park could access it:) also closer to the original mark you could park near N. Kalbaugh and walk NE from there maybe not sure. I don't even know what tools I would bring I guess a classifier and a little LED. Good luck if you take this on don't be disappointed if its just a dry creek lol.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sample Pan Dan

Sample Pan Dan

Bronze Member
Oct 20, 2012
Bostonia,Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh I'm sure it is dry by now, but could still be fun, huh? Hmm... Lemme think about this for a while :-)

Alex Burke

Apr 3, 2013
NorCal
Detector(s) used
BH, GB2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yeah there's only 4 locations in Cali that diamonds have ever been reported or documented found, this is one of the 4. I think this one was documented by usgs but it was just 2 super small diamonds. If I remember right.

OP
OP
Sample Pan Dan

Sample Pan Dan

Bronze Member
Oct 20, 2012
Bostonia,Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This has nothing to do with prospecting.... Just thought it was cool... At the beach today with the family, checking out the layering and weathering on the rock formations.

Attachments

• image-1046139278.png
    image-1046139278.png
    331.4 KB · Views: 125

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread