Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys.

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
he is a sage in these woods 8)

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very true, as usual good words of wisdom from Sandman.

Just for fun I tried substituting a few other words and it even works for them.

girlfriend
wife
car
computer

And for the ladies,
boyfriend
husband

Time is the only thing you never get back, why waste time using a cheap machine when you can have more fun and recover more with a better detector.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with his philosophy 100%. That's why I have gone against the grain a few times and recommended a newbie buy all the machine he could afford instead of one of those cheap "starter" machines. Can I count that one and get .049% at last? ??? :D Monty

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree, I bought all I could afford when I started and 3 months later got my excal 1000. Looking for a pure land machine now, but saving my money to get the best I can.

Course it helped when I started showing the wife the gold, silver and diamonds I was finding. ;D

Been a dry spell lately for the stones though, just been finding gold and silver. Hope it changes soon.

spez401

Jul 13, 2006
Coventry, RI
Detector(s) used
Excal
I bought my first detector in 1996 when I was in law school. It was a White's surfmaster pi, and I spent way more than I could afford at the time. Within 3 months, I had found enough to purchase my first DFX. and since then, I've replaced my first DFX with another, and an Excalibur.

Buy the best tool for the job. If you don't you will either be dissatisfied with its performance, or it will break and you'll have to replace it anyway.
steve

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What I found was that my first el cheapo detector very soon needed an upgrade so I moved up a step and an equivilant amount of $$. This happened more than once and within a year or year and a half I had worked my way up to a high end detector and had spent a lot more $$$ than I had planned on and had several detectors instead of one! Wish I had been savvy enough to follow my own advice! I also found out that a used detector is hard to sell and people want you to give them away so I kept mine. Monty

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What I enjoy about having all the extra detectors is I have something good for family members or friends to use. Sometimes at family picnics I will bring a few out and it is fun watching the kids and old timey people fighting each other for the chance to find coins in the dirt. I have gotten rid of a few detectors in the past, C & G Bobcat, AT-4, Stingray, Beach Hunter ID, these are just the ones I remember off hand.

If you start out cheap, you will spend much more upgrading a few times. But I understand when you are starting out ya don't really know it you will stick to it.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Max. I know about the site.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread